PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Freakin` Out after using SSR2.5 on new 2010 8 week old black G37

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

txrockstar
04-16-2010, 11:49 PM
Okay, I`m a newbie. I joined this site 6 weeks ago after purchasing a brand new 2010 G37 black on black. My first brand new car (at the tender young age of 39).

Noticed (after delivery) some minor scratches on the hood compliments of the barbaric washing at the stealership in connection with their "presentation of my car" at delivery (even before joining this site I knew to: (i) avoid washing in direct blazing sun, (ii) use two bucket approach, (iii) use a sheepskin mit, and (iv) use either my blower or the absorber to dry (which I pat dry...never drag). So I am not a complete idiot...until now.

(1) Purchased PB EX-P- Very happy with application applied 3 weeks ago (followed with Carnuba from a PB competitor--think Bullwinkle... and yes, next time I`ll try PB NBlue depending on how the matter discussed below turns out)

(2) The minor scratches on the hood continued to bother me (very apparent when my standard overhead garage light fluorescents are on)

(3) Bought sample of Poorboy`s Prof Polish (no affect on scratches)

(4) Then bought full size PB Black Haze (no affect in hiding scratches)

(5) Ordered on Monday (04/12/2010) sample of SSR1 and SSR2.5. Received the samples today.

(6) Today, thoroughly washed car and applied the SSR1- no affect on scratches. Then applied the SSR2.5, no affect on scratches, but to my horror, my paint is now marred and looks worse than the scratch.

I have been doing all of this by hand. The PB website says that the SSR 2.5 is clearcoat safe and can be applied by hand. Please don`t tell me that I scratched/marred the clearcoat (that would not be good for all parties).

I applied the SSR 2.5 in an up and down motion and slight X motion when applying so no swirls. Will the marring/streaks go away if I have it professionally buffed out??? I don`t own a polisher because I would have no idea what I am doing anyway...and would likely ruin the paint job.

Please advise as I am freakin` out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have now learned to leave the professional work to the pros...sorry for the long post, but again, I am mortified right now...yes, it`s just a car...but the thrill of my first new car will not wear off for a awhile.

Thanks,

Chuck (name on recent order "Charles") from Dallas

txrockstar
04-16-2010, 11:55 PM
yes, I realize it should read "effect" and not "affect"...

MAD992
04-17-2010, 12:10 AM
dont be so hard on yourself mate we all keep learning things well into our fortys:rofl

txrockstar
04-17-2010, 12:28 AM
thanks, I`m 39, 11 months and 18 days...

just hope I (and the SSR 2.5) did not harm the clear coat...if so, I won`t be happy with PB...

(901)
04-17-2010, 05:07 AM
thanks, I`m 39, 11 months and 18 days...

just hope I (and the SSR 2.5) did not harm the clear coat...if so, I won`t be happy with PB...

No, you have not done any permanent damage.

Another member just recentally experienced similar problems. You guys and your new black cars :redface:

I would recommend you getting a Griots DA w/ 2 orange pads and 2 black pads. Always start with the least aggresive method. I`m not real familar with poorboys, but I believe I would try the pro polish or SR1 with a black pad and see what gives. Maybe someone more familar with there products will chime in soon :bigups

RANDAL
04-17-2010, 07:58 AM
If it was me. Id purchase a PC 7424, with white and black pads, several of each. Id also get some plush Microfiber towels. Up to you where you get them. You have product I use and well as several others use.

Ok back on subject. PBs products can be used by hand, but I would use a PC for quicker results. Id say by hand it could take a couple days to do correction on a car. I probably would also have worked on something not new first. Ok. If you used the 2.5 you now need to follow up with SSR1 or ProPolish. After that the Black Hole to cover up very fine scratches. hopefully everything works out for you. Just remember to work small areas at a time. try watching some videos also, I havnt as Im on dialup and have basucally learned on my own and on my older stuff first. Try to learn from others mistakes, its a lot easier than getting frustrated with yourself and having to redo something a couple times. RANDAL

holland_patrick
04-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Yep you really can`t use any thing strong. with it`s 2.5,105,OPT compound, Pin ASR, the list goes on and on.. on black WITH OUT STEPPING DOWN. Yes you cut your clear coat that is what it`s made to do.. yes you can use it by hand I have done some touch ups with 2.5 and it doesn`t look the best until you step it down and yes you have to Rub the hell out of it.

Look you have a very nice car you paid a lot f money for it do your self a favor and get the right tools to take car of it because you are in for a world of pain it you don`t get a PC or flex as you own a black car detailing will not be a hobby for you it will be a way of life.

tuscarora dave
04-17-2010, 02:21 PM
First off. Welcome to DC.:welcome:

Now on to your problem at hand, What did you use to apply the polish? A cotton towel? a microfiber applicator pad? A foam pad?

If you can catch your finger nail in the scratch, chances are it will not polish out.

Trying to polish out a scratch by hand is a tough undertaking. If I were you, at this point I would use a cotton terry applicator and SSR 1 and rub the heck out of the spot that is all marred from the SSR 2.5, once you get some clarity there, step to a microfiber applicator pad or towel and use your Pro Polish and lightly rub the area until it looks good. Then apply some sealant over the polished area for protection.

You stated that you joined 6 weeks ago. Have you been doing much searching and reading about paint correction? If not I suggest that you do. Learn all you can about the subject and get yourself a machine and some various pads. Do your homework before attempting to do any work on your brand new car.

Unless of course you are willing to set aside about $1000 a year to pay a proffessional detailer to keep after it for you. And then consider that 1/2 or more of those so called proffessionals are hacks and will cut 1/2 the clear off of your car and return it to you littered with swirls.

I am not being critical here but just speaking the truth so you don`t have to learn this stuff the hard way like so many people do.

Good luck and have fun with it.:D :bigups

(901)
04-17-2010, 03:22 PM
First off. Welcome to DC.:welcome:

Now on to your problem at hand, What did you use to apply the polish? A cotton towel? a microfiber applicator pad? A foam pad?

If you can catch your finger nail in the scratch, chances are it will not polish out.

Trying to polish out a scratch by hand is a tough undertaking. If I were you, at this point I would use a cotton terry applicator and SSR 1 and rub the heck out of the spot that is all marred from the SSR 2.5, once you get some clarity there, step to a microfiber applicator pad or towel and use your Pro Polish and lightly rub the area until it looks good. Then apply some sealant over the polished area for protection.

You stated that you joined 6 weeks ago. Have you been doing much searching and reading about paint correction? If not I suggest that you do. Learn all you can about the subject and get yourself a machine and some various pads. Do your homework before attempting to do any work on your brand new car.

Unless of course you are willing to set aside about $1000 a year to pay a proffessional detailer to keep after it for you. And then consider that 1/2 or more of those so called proffessionals are hacks and will cut 1/2 the clear off of your car and return it to you littered with swirls.

I am not being critical here but just speaking the truth so you don`t have to learn this stuff the hard way like so many people do.

Good luck and have fun with it.:D :bigups

Wow Dave, you sure have become quite the expert in this field. Just think, only 18 months ago your supplier was Walmart :D

tuscarora dave
04-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Wow Dave, you sure have become quite the expert in this field. Just think, only 18 months ago your supplier was Walmart :D

It`s been a bit longer than 18 months but who`s counting..? I just looked back through my threads and to my surprise it`s been only 20 months. It seems like so much longer than that. Well 5 polishers later and I don`t know how many full details later combined with countless hours of reading here and at AG and applying that knowledge, I guess I have come a long way but I don`t know if I would go as far as calling myself an expert.

I guess when you are reinvesting 50% of the take you tend to grow pretty fast.

Well if that was a compliment, thanks.

G.T.Subie
04-17-2010, 04:55 PM
You`ll be fine, you just need to get a PC and hone your skills.
Where do you live, a lot of guys here are willing to help and show off their skills.

JaredPointer
04-17-2010, 08:27 PM
I`ll have to ask the obvious, but have you contacted Poorboy Steve yet? He`s very "reachable" and no one knows his products like he does. He`ll walk you through what you need to do.

You can do what you`re wanting to do by hand, it`s just going to tale you a while. Be patient, take your time and make it a multiple step project.

And if this is a black daily driver, go ahead and get the notion out of your head that you can keep it 100% defect free. Most likely ain`t gonna happen.

Dtrick.22
04-17-2010, 10:08 PM
It is totally normal for your black vehicle to look hazed after using the SSR 2.5. I`ve used it by machine and if you let it break down long enough you really dont get any hazing, but by hand I can understand that... To fix it you should use SSR 2.5 in a light pressure circular motion over the area you messed up on, then follow it with SSR1 lightly, and Black Hole if you feel like it....You should definitly consider buying a buffer though. Get the Porter Cable, its very easy to learn on and the only way you are going to mess up is if you throw it at the car. Very easy machine to learn on, thats what I first started out with, and still use it on most of the vehicles I work on. Its pretty inexpensive, if you buy the 7424 model you can pick it up new for about $100 if you shop around. People will probably try to talk you into the Flex, and even though its a great machine its 3 times as much and it doesn`t sound like you will be running a business, so the Porter Cable will suit you just fine. Good Luck!

hammondc
04-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Like others have said, you need to get a polisher of some sort. A Porter Cable 7424 is pretty idiot proof. I am sure there are some folks here from Dallas that could help you out and get you going.

sal329
04-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Where are you located? Maybe someone on the forum can give you a hand? I would not go off blamming PB for the marring. Detailing, especially black is a big learning curve. By hand makes things difficult to boot.