PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Tree Sap

Bobby D
03-15-2004, 12:24 AM
A friend of mine wants me to detail there car. After inspecting the black VW GTI I see there is major tree sap all over the hood and the roof. I have never seen anything so bad. Any suggestions for this??

NEW AGAIN
03-15-2004, 01:00 AM
Green rubbing alcohol w/ 100% cotton cloth Please make sure surface is clean and cool to touch

Bobby D
03-15-2004, 01:11 AM
What is green rubbing alcohol. Is it safe on the paint. How should I apply? How good does it work? This is really bad stuff on this car.

dalmore
03-15-2004, 03:51 AM
I`m not sure why New Again specified Green but it`s rubbing alcohol - the kind you get at the drug store. To clean it safely is probably going to take several passes. Read the label when it you buy it to make sure it`s just alcohol. The last rubbing alcohol I bought contained acetone - I would not put acetone on a car. It works well for stripping furniture though.

Speed Clay is excellent and safe problem cleaner. Since I have some, that`s what I would use. However, if I didn`t have it I would certainly try the 75 cent bottle of rubbing alcohol first. Speed Clay is here: http://www.autogeek.net/dispcl1.html and you can get a 10% discount with the coupon detailcity

gentletouch
03-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Ardex Labs sells a terrific product called Sap Remover. It is about 6 bucks for a 32 ounce container. It is so strong that a 32 ounce bottle will last you quite a long time.

www.ardexlabs.com

Beemerboy
03-15-2004, 10:52 AM
I would be thinking about clay to remove it.

groebuck
03-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Goo gone they make automotive specific products you can get at any walmart (at least where I have seen them) - This may be a case where a Dawn Wash first would do a good job as well

groebuck
03-15-2004, 11:10 AM
http://www.googone.com/products_gg.shtml

Googone automotive - specifically lists tree sap ;)

NEW AGAIN
03-15-2004, 11:19 AM
GentleTouch, Dalmore

Green rubbing alcohol works better than the clear dont works as fast As for ardex there distributor told me about the green alcohol because there sap remover smells like alcohol

gentletouch
03-16-2004, 08:24 AM
I failed to mention that the Ardex Sap remover consists of Isopropanol.

Scott P
03-16-2004, 08:43 AM
I was shown a car this weekend that had a blob of tree sap that looked like dried super glue. I was going to `chip` it off with a fingernail and them remove what I could with a good paint cleaner like Medallion PPC. Maybe the Iso Alcohol trick would work. I`ll have to pass it on to the owner.

stainbuster
03-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Had lots of luck with green isopropyl alchohol on black 95 Eclipse that had pine tree sap baked in the 4 sun for over a year. All top surfaces were coated with the sap at least every 3-4". Very tedious and time consuming, but the result was well worth it.

I`ve got fantastic before and after pics, how do I post them here? Anyone interested could always email me at stainbuster2002@yahoo.com to see the photos.

Regards,

Mike R.

BTW, my Ardex supplier also recommended green IPA in lieu of their Sap remover, which is basically IPA as well.

KleanFreak
03-16-2004, 11:27 PM
3m adhesive remover will melt it like butter

GraniteState
03-16-2004, 11:41 PM
You can also use denatured alchol.. you can buy that at any hardware store it`s a little stronger and It hasn`t hurt any paint job i used it on a supplier recomended it to me....

JimS
03-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Auto parts store should have some wax and grease remover in the paint/body shop department...the stuff you use just before painting to make sure the surface is completely clean and ready for paint. There isn`t much that won`t go away using that stuff. NO flames nearby!