PDA

View Full Version : Paint chip advice???

wallyStang
04-04-2010, 12:12 PM
I have lots of paint chips on my rear deck lid and a few on the fender and door. Here is a pic of my deck lid which is the worst. What do you guys reccommend I do?

Reddwarf
04-04-2010, 02:48 PM
A couple of years ago I bought the factory touch up paint and the Langka (http://www.langka.com/) paint kit. I had terrible result, but others that have posted were successful. It may indeed be my lack of ability to properly execute.

mrclean81
04-04-2010, 04:49 PM
touch up paint has a bad reputation due to people who go crazy with it and make a bigger mess of a paint job than what they started with. The trick is to stay inside the chip. Sometimes it takes more than one coat to cover and fill. I like to wetsand with 1500 afterward. If its done correctly the average person will never know. Will it be perfect? Not likely, but it will be a lot better than having paint chips, and depending on your location you may also have to deal with those chips leading to rust.

Ronkh
04-04-2010, 07:19 PM
IMHO
Leave it for the next owner to worry about. :)

JaredPointer
04-04-2010, 07:42 PM
You might want to look into the Dr. Colorchip system. Or learn how to fill the chip up over time and wetsand it down and polish it.

tuscarora dave
04-05-2010, 06:40 AM
What works best for me is to first thoroughly clean the chip with prepsol then sand inside the chip only with this spot sanding pan Harbor Freight Tools (http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=sanding+pen)
then as stated above stay inside the chip with your color match touch up paint, building the paint up layer after layer until it as somewhat higher than the level of the rest of the paint. Then I just polish over it to smooth out the repair. They are never perfect for me but a lot better than touch up paint smeared all over and around a chip like I see 99.9% of the time on customers cars.

black bart
04-05-2010, 08:01 AM
What works best for me is to first thoroughly clean the chip with prepsol then sand inside the chip only with this spot sanding pan Harbor Freight Tools (http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=sanding+pen)
then as stated above stay inside the chip with your color match touch up paint, building the paint up layer after layer until it as somewhat higher than the level of the rest of the paint. Then I just polish over it to smooth out the repair. They are never perfect for me but a lot better than touch up paint smeared all over and around a chip like I see 99.9% of the time on customers cars.That is the way I do it, works pretty good.

njcarting1
04-05-2010, 10:57 AM
IMHO
Leave it for the next owner to worry about. :)

Ronkh is right, just do the lower ones if you cant stand the sight and call it a day. As far as the ones on a flat upper surface (hood roof trunk area) live with the mess. By the time you try and fix the problem it will give you triple vision and make you see every one.:wall

Its like a poker game, ya gotta know when to hold and fold.:inspector:

tuscarora dave
04-05-2010, 10:07 PM
ronkh is right, just do the lower ones if you cant stand the sight and call it a day. As far as the ones on a flat upper surface (hood roof trunk area) live with the mess. By the time you try and fix the problem it will give you triple vision and make you see every one.:wall

its like a poker game, ya gotta know when to hold and fold.:inspector:

never!!!