PDA

View Full Version : Does layering a paste wax increase the ability to hide paint defects?

wallyStang
04-03-2010, 03:44 PM
For instance will 6 coats of a paste wax increase the hiding abiltiy vs 2 coats?

mrclean81
04-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I really can`t say for sure, but I doubt it. To me if the first coat or two didn`t do the job, four more coats won`t either. If your not into machine polishing to remove defects, most polishes can also be applied by hand also and will remove or cover a lot more defects than wax. 1 coat of polish and 1 coat of wax will look better and be much less work than five or six coats of wax alone. I know people who use a one step polish by hand and that`s it, and their vehicals always look great. Just something to think about...

JaredPointer
04-03-2010, 07:34 PM
The real question is, is it possible to really get 6 coats/layers of any product on a paint surface. From the pseudo-scientific tests I`ve seen, the answer is no.

6 concurrent applications, sure. 6 individual layers? I have come to think not.

doctordon
04-03-2010, 07:38 PM
There was a controlled test performed by a detailer in the UK last year using Collinite 915. His results were as followed:

1) More than 3 layers doesn`t give better results.
2) Buffing should be done very smooth.
3) Cure the wax good, buff, wait for 24 hours and put on the next layer.

I can`t list the link here as it is against forum rules but if you Google "Thickness of wax layers?" you will find the site. It was an interesting read with a large amount of discussion.

JaredPointer
04-03-2010, 07:44 PM
There was a controlled test performed by a detailer in the UK last year using Collinite 915. His results were as followed:

1) More than 3 layers doesn`t give better results.
2) Buffing should be done very smooth.
3) Cure the wax good, buff, wait for 24 hours and put on the next layer.

I can`t list the link here as it is against forum rules but if you Google "Thickness of wax layers?" you will find the site. It was an interesting read with a large amount of discussion.

This is one of the tests I am basing my judgements on. If I recall correctly, the thickness of the LSP after the third "layer" was actually thinner than it was after the second application. Leads me to believe you hit the point of diminishing returns very quickly - at least from a "can I layer this up" stand point.

Poorboy
04-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I would say it depends on the wax being used ;)

JaredPointer
04-03-2010, 08:28 PM

For filling ability or for multi-layers?

G.T.Subie
04-03-2010, 08:46 PM
I`m sure Ron will give it try if he hasn`t yet

Poorboy
04-03-2010, 08:54 PM
For filling ability or for multi-layers?

both

I`m sure Ron will give it try if he hasn`t yet

oh yes, the king will have to speak :lol2:
:hail

njcarting1
04-04-2010, 05:53 AM
both

oh yes, the king will have to speak :lol2:
:hail

Whats he know about the layer testing? he just adds more for something to do. That`s how he got the crown, "WAX WASTER" Just add more weather it needs it or not...:rofl:rofl:nana::bonk::chairdance:drool::pas sout::hmmm::yay:rofl:wall

njcarting1
04-04-2010, 07:08 AM

100% RIGHT:inspector::bigups

While Dave was here we went and did a test panel on my bud`s 70 SS chevelle. The wax test was between Natty`s blue and red, the red looked nice but revealed all the problems in black paint. The Natty`s blue was kinder,softer and yes had great luster. They both looked great but one "blue" was gonna be the go to product on this cars finish.:love: :cheers:

Ronkh
04-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Did I hear my name ?!?!?!?!!?

Blue does seem to add some covering ability. (see thread "it`s a cover up")

Prolly why I like to do blue, blue, then start layering the red on. :)

Bunky
04-04-2010, 12:51 PM
This is one of the tests I am basing my judgements on. If I recall correctly, the thickness of the LSP after the third "layer" was actually thinner than it was after the second application. Leads me to believe you hit the point of diminishing returns very quickly - at least from a "can I layer this up" stand point.

If it was thinner, then the lsp is going somewhere...absorbed into the pad or onto a towel when buffed. I guess it could be argued as the lsp gets thicker the upper surface has lower sheer strength (less likely to bond to the product below it and more easily removed so it would be coming off on to the towel. Who knows..

It probably did not slide off onto the floor or evaporate.

Ronkh
04-04-2010, 04:48 PM
It probably did not slide off onto the floor or evaporate.

:rofl