PDA

View Full Version : clearcoat touch up

91black5spd
04-01-2010, 05:33 AM
I took my 08 Jeep wrangler offroading and on the passenger side I got 2 scratches basically along the entire side of the jeep. Initially they looked bad with a white appearance to them. I used Megs ScratchX 2.0 and then 3M clearcoat safe compound. Now the scratches are not that noticeable but still are there when I look closely with the right lighting. I had a scratch on one of the wheels and I used a clearcoat touch up paint with the brush and the pen part of the touch up. It came out well and the scratch is barely noticeable. I was considering doing that on the passenger side scratch but I am a little worried about how it will look. I dont have a rotary or anything to wet sand with in case the touchup builds up and looks worse. I am ddebating the following:

1. Live with the scratch(I am OCD and even though not noticeable it bugs me)

2. try a different product to try to remove a little more of the scratch(any advice on other products for this?)

3. Try the clearcoat touch up paint(Any tips on best way to do this?)

JaredPointer
04-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Sounds like "pinstriping." Folks who go off road get it a lot, and you should be able to remove it using polish. I don`t know if I`d suggest trying to fill it with clear. I think you`d wind up with a more noticeable area on the paint.

I`d say keep working on the scratches by polish until you get them to the point they are not noticeable. You working by hand or machine?

91black5spd
04-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Sounds like "pinstriping." Folks who go off road get it a lot, and you should be able to remove it using polish. I don`t know if I`d suggest trying to fill it with clear. I think you`d wind up with a more noticeable area on the paint.

I`d say keep working on the scratches by polish until you get them to the point they are not noticeable. You working by hand or machine?

I am working at it by hand, I dont have a machine. I tried again this morning with the 3M stuff and it looks a little better. So, I will keep trying with that.