PDA

View Full Version : Famous Customers?

Pages : [1] 2

Troy@Protekt
03-31-2010, 08:32 PM
I`m interested in who takes care of who.

I have been detailing a long time and haven`t really run into many famous clients.

Years ago I detailed Paul Simon`s cars when his mother lived here. I did a famous hockey coaches car a couple years back. I can`t even remember his name though.

So my recent detailing for John Russell (manager for the Pirates) is pretty much my only brush with famous clientèle lately.

Who has taken care of famous people? And let`s hear a story about it. :dnaughty

Jngrbrdman
03-31-2010, 09:50 PM
I detail for Apolo Anton Ohno every now and then. ;) I usually get to do his truck two or three times a year. He has a pretty busy schedule with his training and all, but maybe now that the Olympics are done he will finally be able to relax.

It was funny how I first met him, actually. It was April 1st, 2007 when I got my first email from him. He said he was moving out here and he had done some searching on Google looking for a detailer and my ad on Craigslist came up. He did some homework and decided that he could trust me with his truck. He is an obsessive compulsive detailer too. I was pleased to see bottles of Pinnacle and Klasse in his box of detailing stuff.

Anyway, we passed emails back and forth a couple times before I actually got to do his vehicle. He started sending me referrals before I even met him. I detailed for a friend of his with an S65, a nice GL, and a Range Rover a couple times before I got to detail for Apolo.

When I got to his house to do his truck for the first time I didn`t even know who he was when he answered it. He sort of looked familiar, but the 2002 Olympics had been quite awhile ago and that was the last time I watched the short track event. I wasn`t able to watch the 2006 Olympics, so I was at a loss. this was right after he won Dancing With the Stars, but I didn`t watch that either. I was halfway through cleaning out the interior of the vehicle when I saw this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/apolo/DSC04693.jpg

It actually should have his name above the rings, but that is an edited picture I think. I can`t remember why I edited it. Hopefully it wasn`t so nobody knew I had debris from Apolo`s car in my vacuum and have crazy people calling me wanting some. (true story)

Anyway, I called my wife and asked her if the name sounded familiar. I`m still a little deaf in that ear... lol

Since I had no idea who he was for most of the day, it was really comfortable to just talk cars with him and hang out. We even sat on the floor of his garage and had a sandwich while we talked about our passion for a certain year Cadillac. He is just a really down to earth guy and a general all around good person. I`m looking forward to getting his truck again in the next couple months for a congratulatory detail after his victories at the Olympics. :)

Clutch34
03-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Wow! That`s awesome!

RANDAL
04-01-2010, 09:20 AM
COOL!! I changed the oil in Ed Podollacks car when I worked for Walmart. He played and still announces the KC Cheifs games I beleive. He wasnt very nice to deal with the other guys told me. I was in the drive over pit at the time and didnt have a clue whos vehichle it was . Lots of people have KC Cheifs bumper sticker.

cwcad
04-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Nobody famous in my portfolio. Apollo Ohno appears to have a good head on his shoulders to continue winning at such a high level after this amount of time. I am glad to hear that he has normal tendencies that others (like forum members) can relate too. Because I certainly cannot relate to his antics on the track. I would not make the first curve much less the finish line.

Jngrbrdman
04-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Ah, here is the picture I was looking for. This is from last summer. He keeps it in pretty good shape, but it is white and the IFO shows up pretty bad on it. The inside isn`t too tough to clean, but sometimes it has a lot of stuff in it. I`m not sure what this big tube is, but I think it is some kind of sub woofer or something. He has amps attached to it too. I haven`t tried turning it up to see what it does, but it looks pretty neat at any rate.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/apolo.jpg

Autogeek
04-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Well Jngrbrdman pretty much wins. :D

Jngrbrdman
04-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Sweet! what do I win? :D Send me a box full of Wolfgang and I`ll bet I can get a picture with Apolo sealing his medals. lol

Autogeek
04-01-2010, 01:13 PM
That actually sounds like a good deal...action shots with Apolo in exchange for products? Tell me what you want and I`ll run it by Max.

njcarting1
04-01-2010, 02:44 PM
I had the pleasure of doing a car for Robert A Smith. He is a local tycoon he made his wealth in land and the arts. He was somewhat hard on the queens, booze, dope, Cane, and other chemicals. He once stole a collection plate at a church, the first plate they pass not the later one. he had sense enough to pull that off knowing the second run was much louder containing many coins. He would often go to church on Sunday or any day for that matter to peruse the contents inside the building. He was a well known local figure in many congregation`s in the southern part of the state. And the poor sole had only 1 leg, that made it harder to run from the law. He now resides with the state, after much hiding and ducking the boy`s in blue and many parishioners. As far as the car detail it was just a wash and vacuum job and he still has never paid the bill.

Big Shots, they all have some things in common...:notme:

C. Charles Hahn
04-01-2010, 03:04 PM
That actually sounds like a good deal...action shots with Apolo in exchange for products? Tell me what you want and I`ll run it by Max.

"The marketing department has spoken" :rofl

Beemerboy
04-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Not so sure he is famous, famous

But I`ve done work on Jess Jackson`s cars

He the owner of Kendall Jackson Winery, one of the biggest in the area here

grisby
04-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Well I don`t know how well known he is outside of the Harrisburg area(no sports player or anything like that) but I do the President of a local Credit Unions vehicles. He is the big guy on TV (known as Bob the answerman) that flies around in tights(yep!!) helping people out with their finances.

He is my neighbor and he would always come around asking me about my cars and such and when he found out I was into detailing, well its history from there. I do his Cadillac, His Mustangs, Shelby GT500 conv, and his F150. He also has me doing his families vehicles also.

Tuscarora Dave, you no doubt have seen him on TV and such.

Well that is the most famous personality I have ever done, except for me of course:notme:

G.T.Subie
04-01-2010, 05:16 PM
I have done a couple big wigs AV systems, does that count.
Neil Cavuto
Mark Ecko
Owner of Thumans meats
CEO`s of Goldman Saks and Honeywell
Owner of Arizona Ice Tea

wendell jarvis
04-01-2010, 07:30 PM
John Calapari UK Basketball coach, Ashley Judd (when in town) William Shatner`s Lambo (Keeneland Meet)