PDA

View Full Version : Time To Buy??

Beemerboy
03-18-2010, 12:30 PM
In light of everything that has happened at Toyota, I was thinking this could be a great time to buy one of their cars.

I sincerely think there are some issues with some models, but over all Toyota builds good cars.

Since they are hurting for business, my guess is you could get a GREAT DEAL!!

Any thoughts?

Scott P
03-18-2010, 02:12 PM
It makes sense. I just don`t need a car Plus, they do not have anything in their offerings that I actually like.

JohnHenry
03-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Believe me, I`m not drinking the Toyota Kool Aid, but consider these facts:

- We`ve had > 10 Toyotas in the immediate family over thirty years. I do not recall a single issue requiring a warranty repair.

- I drove an `89 Land Cruiser for 10 years/200K miles, and sold it for $10K. I had replaced the radiator, a leaking gas tank, and routine belts, hoses, brakes, etc.

- My `02 Sequoia (first model year) was underpowered and needed honest-to-goodness truck brakes. That has been fixed nicely.

- I`ve sold two Celicas to good friends... something I will not do without standing behind the reliability of the car.

- My wife drives an `05 Matrix. We bought it new, and it is hands down the best car I`ve ever owned. I travel frequently, renting lots of different brands/models. I`m always amazed at how our `05 stacks up against the `09s and `10s in the rental fleets with less that 10K miles on their odometers.

- My daughter drives my wife`s former car, a `98 Corolla. She and I replaced the four interior door handle assemblies this week. I am expecting a hood latch in the mail soon. And if anyone knows where to find "like new" tan replacement A/C vent registers, please let me know. Other than those minor issues, the thing is bullet proof.

Don`t get me wrong, the accelerator issue scares the hell out of me. And if the Toyota execs are trying to alienate their die-hard fans with arrogance and stupidity, they`re doing a good job. But, I haven`t written Toyota off as a potential next truck purchase.

Beemerboy
03-18-2010, 03:47 PM
John

That`s just what I was thinking, way to much reliable history with Toyota, for this to make them not reliable

We have a 96 Camry 120K that has been in the wife`s family since new with zero problems, my mother in law drives a 07 Camry with zero problems.

I`m thinking Toyota on the next car purchase

OCDinPDX
03-19-2010, 02:34 AM
About the only Toyota I would buy is the Tundra...that thing is hot, no lie.

This acceleration issue is a real problem for me, though. It took YEARS for this to come to light and the way they`ve handled it is unacceptable. It`s been B.S. recalls, stalling, smoke and mirrors, bragging about money saved by avoiding recalls and deception tactics don`t give me confidence in Toyota`s ability to handle serious defects. When a company puts profits ahead of safety and brags about it, I really have a hard time trusting them. It`s kind of like living with a pathological liar; after a while you can`t even stand to look at them.

Thomas Dekany
03-19-2010, 03:18 AM
What do you consider a good deal? No auto company will ever give "good" deals. I saw 0% for 60 months. Big deal. Toyota has done that same deal before.

Find a broker who "can" get the best deal and you`ll pay him something like $500. Otherwise the manager WILL F U.

Trust me on that.:bigups:bigups:bigups

JohnHenry
03-19-2010, 05:18 AM
What do you consider a good deal? No auto company will ever give "good" deals. I saw 0% for 60 months. Big deal. Toyota has done that same deal before.

Find a broker who "can" get the best deal and you`ll pay him something like $500. Otherwise the manager WILL F U.

Agreed. But you`re talking about sales as opposed to manufacturing/service. I`d say that we need a new thread to discuss auto dealerships, except that DC is family friendly. Dwayne would ban me for using the language required to adequately express my feelings for car salesmen! ;)

black bart
03-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Agreed. But you`re talking about sales as opposed to manufacturing/service. I`d say that we need a new thread to discuss auto dealerships, except that DC is family friendly. Dwayne would ban me for using the language required to adequately express my feelings for car salesmen! ;)No worse than lawyers and politicians

Beemerboy
03-19-2010, 09:21 AM

Based on all the negative press this company has revived over the last several months, coupled with consumer confidence. Toyota dealerships are going to be willing to deal more than any other car mfger. That`s my point in this.

Agreed. But you`re talking about sales as opposed to manufacturing/service. I`d say that we need a new thread to discuss auto dealerships, except that DC is family friendly. Dwayne would ban me for using the language required to adequately express my feelings for car salesmen! ;)

No worse than lawyers and politicians

OK you two we all know nothing excites DC debates more than guns:rofl:rofl

RANDAL
03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Guns dont do a thing for ME!!!

Page
03-19-2010, 11:50 AM
I`m sorry but won`t to get the economy back buy am American car or truck.

JaredPointer
03-19-2010, 12:09 PM
I`d buy another Toyota, especially another Tundra. This is the first truck I`ve ever had that just gives me giggles every time I drive it.

About the only manufacturer I wouldn`t buy from right now is anything Chrysler/Dodge or anything GM. The fact that they`re probably going to ask the government for more bailout handouts when they should be bankrupt/restructuring/out of business really gets under my skin.

And comments regarding buying American trucks shouldn`t even be made. Specifically addressing trucks, Toyota trucks have as high a part content (if not made and assembled here in the US) as any of the "big" three. Say all you want about the profits going to Japan, but the fact of the matter is Toyota and others are employing people here in the US, putting money in their pockets, which in turn puts money into our economy.

JohnHenry
03-19-2010, 01:29 PM
No worse than lawyers and politicians

Now there`s a resounding endorsement for car sales folks! :D

Bunky
03-19-2010, 04:00 PM
I do not consider reliability as my primary criteria.

I have owned many Chrysler products and they are not trouble free but usually more a hassle than expensive to fix. I test drove a Camry and Avalon. Nice cars but just not what I wanted.