PDA

View Full Version : The Service Industry

Pages : [1] 2

Blackfire
03-14-2010, 07:15 AM
I work in cooperation with the service industry to accomplish many tasks in my business. My major complaint is about how often service personnel are distracted when performing their duties.

The cell phone has become the world`s largest distraction and work stopper.

On Friday, a phone tech was doing some rewiring at the office building and got distracted by a personal phone call. He walked away from the area and was missing for over 20 minutes. When he returned, he remained on the phone while making the repair/change. When done, he left all wire clippings, fittings, etc. on the floor for someone else to clean up. His supervisor is coming to visit me tomorrow.

I entered the building yesterday to find the cleaning person on the cell phone while trying to focus on cleaning sinks, toilets and urinals. Needless to say, the mirror was streaked and the urinal left dirty. When confronted, he became defensive, and tried to explain that he can work and talk on the phone at the same time. No, he can`t!

On my way home I stopped to fuel up the van. The receipt didn`t print so I proceeded indoors to get one. The clerk was on the cell phone giggling and carrying on with a friend. When I walked up to the counter, she held up her hand as if to say, "I`ll be with you soon". In other words, wait until I`m done with my call."

Do you detail shop owner/operators have this issue with some employees or even yourself? Do you find yourself getting distracted by personal phone calls, horseplay, coffee breaks, etc.?

How about you suppliers? What`s broken at your place of business?

I am having a sit down meeting will all service contractors on Tuesday. I`m putting a stop to it or they won`t be working for me on Wednesday.

Garry Dean
03-14-2010, 09:05 AM
I think it is extremely rude to talk on the phone while you should be talking to your client or working. The phone is a serious distraction that can cause you to really mess something up.

Personally, I do answer phone calls all throughout the day, but I always stop what Im doing and most of the time walk over to my truck so that my convos are as private as possible. As a business owner I need to be able to answer my cell at all times, but just like with everything, there is a time and a place to talk/answer your phone.

If I am in the middle of a convo with a client and my phone goes off I just stick my hand in my pocket and press end to send them to voicemail and to stop the noise. I dont even pull it out of my pocket, I wouldnt want my client to feel unimportant.

Im with you on this one.

:passout:

njcarting1
03-14-2010, 10:22 AM
I am having a sit down meeting will all service contractors on Tuesday. I`m putting a stop to it or they won`t be working for me on Wednesday. :bow

You are the boss you can do what ever ya like so give em the word! I guess it`s so commonplace we all just accept that kind of foolishness in everyday life. I also would not allow people getting paid by the hr working for me to be on a personal cell phone. Its rude, its disruptive, and its wasting time on the job.:yikes::passout:

What and how did people run a business years back when cell phones were not available? Its not all that long ago...:hmmm::hmmm:

tuscarora dave
03-14-2010, 10:25 AM
I think it is extremely rude to talk on the phone while you should be talking to your client or working. The phone is a serious distraction that can cause you to really mess something up.

Personally, I do answer phone calls all throughout the day, but I always stop what Im doing and most of the time walk over to my truck so that my convos are as private as possible. As a business owner I need to be able to answer my cell at all times, but just like with everything, there is a time and a place to talk/answer your phone.

If I am in the middle of a convo with a client and my phone goes off I just stick my hand in my pocket and press end to send them to voicemail and to stop the noise. I dont even pull it out of my pocket, I wouldnt want my client to feel unimportant.

Im with you on this one.

:passout:

I do exactly the same thing. I even turn the phone off before I sit down to eat at a restaruant. IMO there are few things more rude than some clown screaming into his cell phone beside me when I am trying to eat. The service that I see in most places is just rediculous. It seems that noone has manners or common decency anymore.

I was raised by a loving grandmother who worked as a bombshell inspector at Pennsylvania Steel through the WW2 and she lived through the great depression. When I acted up or disrespected any of my elders, she would look at my grandfather and say, "Norman, Give me your belt" And at that point all discussion was over, I got it:eek: This time out stuff that kids nowadays is the reason there are so many ingrates running this country today.:swirly:

GearHead_1
03-14-2010, 10:40 AM
I saw a study a while back that was focused on cell phone use and the American work force. I wish I could find it so that I could post the results. One of the points that I found interesting that even applied to the Boss, if they were to set aside a specific time every morning and afternoon to conduct phone calls they became not only more productive but more profitable.

Of course they weren`t talking about a retail company that takes phone orders as a means of business. They mentioned construction and blue collar technical workers and their management as test subjects. They further said that no business should allow employees personal cell phone use during business hours. I`m sure there are exceptions to every rule and it wouldn`t take much for someone to say, hey there is just no way I could do without my phone. The point the article tried to make was, yes, yes you can do without your cell phone or at least to some degree.

The biggest challenge was talking people that had become so accustomed to answering anytime, anywhere that they didn`t believe their business would function this way. The suggested leaving a voice mail message that discussed how and when they would be available for a direct call but further found that most people would leave mission critical messages that really didn`t require additional conversation. These type of conversations almost always take on a life that isn`t specifically related to the pertinent information in the call.

The test subjects were still allowed to check the caller ID during calls. This took care of any expected calls that shouldn`t wait until the designated telephone time. The test initially allowed for managers to set up a 45 minute block, twice a day for phone business. Most found they could almost cut this alloted time in half or about 25 minutes. After 90 days the majority of the test group chose to adopt this practice as they saw value in it.

Poorboy
03-14-2010, 11:07 AM
I wonder if Pockets is going to read this thread :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

njcarting1
03-14-2010, 11:36 AM
I wonder if Pockets is going to read this thread :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl :crazy2::crazy2::huh::huh:

Blackfire
03-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Please keep on the topic.

:thanks

Poorboy
03-14-2010, 12:01 PM
How about you suppliers? What`s broken at your place of business?

it is on topic :inspector:

Ronkh
03-14-2010, 12:20 PM
You know, I agreed with you till this point.

Now I wonder if you`re not a little quick on the trigger and maybe the people were on important business.

You are correct that the people in your post were rude. IMHO so was your reply.

But the fact is that what Poorboy saying, was germain to the topic.

black bart
03-14-2010, 12:53 PM
I don`t have a cell phone don`t need one and my believe is most who have them don`t really need them but I`m sure they think they do.

I can see how some one who has a business would not want employees on the phone while on the job but I have a different phone complaint.

Recently I went into a auto parts store to buy a part the counter person was on the phone talking to a friend, he left me standing while he continued with his chit chat.
After he hung up and ask me what I wanted and he was looking it up on the computer the phone rang.

He answered the phone and started looking up on the computer what they wanted to know.
After several minutes he hung up and it rang again as soon as he hung up so I wait for a few more minutes and when he hangs up he says I`m sorry what year did you say you have.

He finds it on the computer and the phone rang and he answered the phone and started looking something up for them on the computer so I walked out.

If you are going to run a business hire some one to take care of your customer and not act like they are interrupting you while you talk on the phone.

Another nice thing about new technology is when I call the doctor for a appointment and call long distance instead of getting a busy signal the dam computer answerers and I pay for a long distance call while every minute it tells me how my call is important to them please hold.

If my call is important then why don`t you have someone to take my call.
In a lot of ways I liked it better back in the 50`s :wall :mad:

Paul Sparks
03-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Let me play devil`s advocate for a moment. You are detailing a customers car and another customer calls to inquire about your services. If you don`t answer , will they call back ? If you are calling a company for a service and nobody answers , do you move on to the next company or ? Please offer your opinion. Paul S

Poorboy
03-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Let me play devil`s advocate for a moment. You are detailing a customers car and another customer calls to inquire about your services. If you don`t answer , will they call back ? If you are calling a company for a service and nobody answers , do you move on to the next company or ? Please offer your opinion. Paul S

Paul your question is very valid and the reason why many small business fail ... I will answer your question with a short story ... A good friend of mine is a very good mechanic and he worked for another friend of mine ... one day he decided he wanted to own his own shop and make all the money instead of a salary .. he went and rented a garage . ..set it all up and many customers followed him ... he was working alone and every time the phone rang he put down his tools and answered the phone ... either a new inquiry or someone asking how their car was coming along ... long story short ...three months later he was back working for my other friend as he could not get anything done ... moral ... not sure :hmmm: but you can`t run a service business by yourself and expect to get a lot accomplished :)

Paul Sparks
03-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Do you think customers would rather talk to a answering service or get your voice mail and leave a message ? It seems like a no win situtaion. Paul S

Poorboy
03-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Do you think customers would rather talk to a answering service or get your voice mail and leave a message ? It seems like a no win situtaion. Paul S

I have many people who leave a message here and I think the promptness of the return call would play a big part ... otherwise you might need to have your calls forwarded to someone or hire someone to answer your phones ...