PDA

View Full Version : LSP - The definition and the story behind the term

Mike Phillips
03-11-2010, 05:41 PM
LSP - The definition and the story behind the term (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/autogeek-net-sponsored-forum/28530-lsp-definition-story-behind-term.html)

Copyright ©PBMA - AutogeekOnline.net® All Rights Reserved

Back in the early 1990`s I used the term LSP when talking to a customer about detailing their car and as I used it in conversation it meant,

LSP = Last Step Product

Last Step Product means the last product to be applied and then removed off the paint before making the final wipe and then returning the keys and the car back to the owner and saying, it is finished.

Some people have thought that it means Last Step Protectant and it can mean that if you want to use it that way but it originally meant Last Step Product and there`s a distinct reason for this, let me explain.

While most detailers work on cured paint, that is a car that has the original factory cured paint, my work included clients with freshly painted cars, or clients that didn`t want their car`s paint sealed with either a car wax or a paint sealant.

When working on freshly painted car, that is paint that is less than 30 days old, there is not a single paint manufacture that recommends sealing the paint before at least a minimum of 30 days air-cure has passed to insure any and all solvents or other ingredients used to thin and spray the paint have had a chance to outgass unhindered.

Car Waxes, Synthetic Paint Sealants, or Hybrid products, which is a blend of both natural protection ingredients combined with synthetic protection ingredients, no matter which one you use, all three types act to protect paint by doing a number of different things but one of these things is they seal the paint by coating over it and depositing their protection ingredients onto the surface.

It is this coating over and sealing with a sacrificial barrier coating that paint manufactures recommend a waiting period of at least 30 days and sometimes 60 or 90 days as recommendations differ between paint manufactures.

Because some of my work would involve sanding and then compounding and polishing paint that is less than 30 days old, the Last Step Product wold be a fresh-paint-safe Glaze or non-abrasive Pure Polish, not a wax or paint sealant.

Also, some of my customers owned cars that were on display only, never driven and instead of using a wax or paint sealant to lay down a coating of protection, they would request the car only be polished using a Glaze or non-abrasive Pure Polish.

Most companies that create products for use in body shops where fresh paint is sprayed also offer fresh-paint-safe Glazes and/or non-abrasive Pure Polishes and these types of product can be used on both fresh paint and also on cured paint if a person so desires. Because they are fresh-paint-safe, or "Body Shop Safe", they are usually water soluble and offer no protection in the way you think of a Car Wax or Synthetic Paint Sealant offers protection.

The point being, when I coined the term LSP, in the context I was using it, it meant Last Step Product because not all my last steps included applying a protection product like a car wax or paint sealant but instead included fresh paint glazes and polishes.

Anyway, that`s what the term meant, the last product you apply before you make your final wipe and the job is finished.

Now days in the discussion forum world most people use the term in a way that means Last Step Product or Last Step Protectant but in both instances the words Product and Protectant are used in the context of a paint protection product like a car wax or paint sealant.

Perfectly okay by me, I just thought I would share the original meaning behind the word.

Cleaners versus No Cleaners
There has also been instances where people would define the term LSP to mean Last Step Protectant and the word Protectant specifically meant a finishing wax or a finishing sealant, not a cleaner/wax of any type.

If you`re doing production detailing work and you`re using a one-step cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant, and this is the last product you apply to the paint, (and usually the first and only product you apply to the paint), then in a situation like this it`s completely possible for a cleaner/wax to be the LSP, as in the cleaner/wax is the Last Step Product.

As near as I can track down, here`s the first use of the acronym LSP on a discussion forum that dates to October 25th, 2003 and it was by me when posting to a thread about a new paint sealant that ended up becoming NXT Tech Wax.

!!!!! Meguiar`s Lab Sample "d"!!!!! - Page 3 (http://tinyurl.com/yzzfraq)

Post #68

Tomorrow, If I`m lucky, I will be meeting the owner of one of the original Batmobiles. If I`m even luckier, the owner will give me permission to detail his treasure. If I am granted this blessing, (a detailers dream come true), I will not hesitate to use this next generation of polymer technology as a last step product, (LSP), after first massaging-out the existing defects and bring the surface to a super smooth, high gloss finish.

And that`s the story...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Bunky
03-11-2010, 06:27 PM
AIP (another interesting post).

JaredPointer
03-11-2010, 06:44 PM
PIMP (pertinent information, Mike Phillips)

Bunky
03-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Better than TOGA (the other guy`s article).

(901)
03-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Gee Mike, thats a swell story and all, but you only have the 2 green dots and you`ve been a member for 7 years :huh:

Are you sure you know what your talking about :crazy2:

J/K :howdy

Ronkh
03-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Wow. Tough room.

Cool article.

Gus-Gus
03-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Wow. Tough room.

Cool article.

Thats why there is a two drink minimum

Beemerboy
03-12-2010, 11:18 AM

I thought that you didn`t care for the dots, seemed like a grammar school thing to you, now you have a comment about it?

Beemerboy
03-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Mike,

That`s an interesting read and thanks for the definition. I have one question? are you stating that you where the first one to use the term LSP?

I do find that to be a stretch, really

I know you are on the top of your game, and someone I`m jealous of since you get to play with detailing cars for a living and hopefully get paid well for it:D

I have been detailing paint of all sorts for well over 30 years. There has always been multiple steps in, sanding, compounding,polishing, glaze and then the LSP wax or sealant.

Just my .02 on the term is all

Gus-Gus
03-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Mike,

That`s an interesting read and thanks for the definition. I have one question? are you stating that you where the first one to use the term LSP?

:idea

Well.. he WAS the first to make a post about it.. so its sort of like calling shotgun... i guess he wins this round! :lol2:

Mike Phillips
03-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Mike,

All I`m saying is I used the acronym, and the words that make up the acronym in my detailing business starting at least in the early 1990`s.

I used the term and explained what it means on the Autopia Discussion forum when I had the good fortune of working with the Chemists to introduce what became NXT Tech Wax. I`ve watched the acronym and term be used ever since that time and don`t ever remember seeing it used or explained by anyone else anywhere else on the forum.

Because there is some confusion over the meaning I set the record straight with this article. Kind of like I did with the terms RIDS and Test Spot.

Now it`s completely possible you or someone else explained to their customer what you were going to use as your LSP when detailing their cars before I did in the early 1990`s, and if you did then you can have all the credit, just say so. It always helps if you an also document it in some way like I did searching Autopia for it`s first use. I also recently wrote an article about the creation of discussion forums and that kind of ties into this topic because none of use could have been using the term on discussion forums until they were created.

Hang tight and I`ll post the other recent articles I`ve written over here.

I definitely don`t want to take credit from anyone else and make it a practice to give due credit to where it is due, but to my knowledge, I coined the term LSP, at least via discussion forums based upon my real-life use of the term.

:)

Beemerboy
03-12-2010, 12:55 PM
All I`m saying is I used the acronym, and the words that make up the acronym in my detailing business starting at least in the early 1990`s.

I used the term and explained what it means on the Autopia Discussion forum when I had the good fortune of working with the Chemists to introduce what became NXT Tech Wax. I`ve watched the acronym and term be used ever since that time and don`t ever remember seeing it used or explained by anyone else anywhere else on the forum.

Because there is some confusion over the meaning I set the record straight with this article. Kind of like I did with the terms RIDS and Test Spot.

Now it`s completely possible you or someone else explained to their customer what you were going to use as your LSP when detailing their cars before I did in the early 1990`s, and if you did then you can have all the credit, just say so. It always helps if you an also document it in some way like I did searching Autopia for it`s first use. I also recently wrote an article about the creation of discussion forums and that kind of ties into this topic because none of use could have been using the term on discussion forums until they were created.

Hang tight and I`ll post the other recent articles I`ve written over here.

I definitely don`t want to take credit from anyone else and make it a practice to give due credit to where it is due, but to my knowledge, I coined the term LSP, at least via discussion forums based upon my real-life use of the term.

:)

Thanks Mike that seems more than fair.

I`m still jealous of your job!:D:D

(901)
03-12-2010, 12:59 PM

I thought that you didn`t care for the dots, seemed like a grammar school thing to you, now you have a comment about it?

Uhhh, I was kinda trying to make a point (sorry if it went over your head) at how ridicolous this green dot/red dot system is :wow:

If you can explain to me how the Legendary Mike Phillips only has 2 green dots with the knowledge he has :rockon

Mike Phillips is a Worldwide known name. That name should be trademarked :bow

Before I was ever on any of the Detailing Boards I had never heard of Paul Dalton/ Kevin Brown/ Bob Willis /David Saunders/ Todd Helme/ Clark ?/ or any of the other top 10 Detailers in the World, but the name Mike Phillips...Yea, I had heard that name before :bigups

Honestly, I could care less what you guys do with your dot system...It means nothing to me :notme:

Mike Phillips
03-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Here you go... for better or worse...

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/autogeek-net-sponsored-forum/28539-rids-definition-rids-story-behind-term.html

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/autogeek-net-sponsored-forum/28540-test-spot-story-behind-story.html

Shields on!

:D

Beemerboy
03-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Uhhh, I was kinda trying to make a point (sorry if it went over your head) at how ridicolous this green dot/red dot system is :wow:

If you can explain to me how the Legendary Mike Phillips only has 2 green dots with the knowledge he has :rockon

Mike Phillips is a Worldwide known name. That name should be trademarked :bow

Before I was ever on any of the Detailing Boards I had never heard of Paul Dalton/ Kevin Brown/ Bob Willis /David Saunders/ Todd Helme/ Clark ?/ or any of the other top 10 Detailers in the World, but the name Mike Phillips...Yea, I had heard that name before :bigups

Honestly, I could care less what you guys do with your dot system...It means nothing to me :notme:

Your so new to this site, your statement about Mike only having two dots is laughable...really!

There is a reason for this but I`m not going to explain that to you. Maybe Mike will help you with that.:D

If you could careless about the dot system, then stop talking about it:thanks