PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Question

Tex Star Detail
03-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Getting ready to replace the rotors, pads, calipers, and front brake lines on my 95 GMC Safari Cargo work van. Carry a lot of weight. What pads do you recommend? I hear some people say get Ceramic for better stopping. Same say no... What do you think?

I have all three auto parts stores around.
Oreilly:
1995 GMC Safari Brake Pads | O`Reilly Auto Parts (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Brake+Pads/03351/C0068.oap?make=GMC&model=Safari&year=1995&vi=1165328)

Autozone:
AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection | Year (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsShelf.jsp?fromType=parts&parentId=44-0&currentPage=1&filterByKeyWord=&navValue=14401233&categoryNValue=14499999&fromWhere=null&itemId=1233-0&displayName=Brake+Pads+-+Front)

Advance:
Brake Pads and Shoes - Advance Auto Parts (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subcategory_Brake-Pads-and-Shoes_-49997379_13557_10151_10051_-1___)

Van is 2wd.
:thanks

mrclean81
03-10-2010, 01:39 PM
I put ceramic pads on my wifes van and haven`t had any probs with them. The last set was the cheapest thing Auto Tire and Parts had. They were horrible about dusting. In fact I had to clay the hell out of the hatch because brake dust etched into the clearcoat and rear window. I`m not compleatly sold on ceramic pads yet, but know now not to ask for the cheapest ones they have.

Just a side note. The ceramic pads I bought aren`t as quiet as I had hoped for.

G.T.Subie
03-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Ceramics should dust less. Also they tend to last a little longer and will be louder.

JPS51830
03-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I use the Hawk ceramic`s on my Stang and they work much better than the stock pads and little to no dust.

G.T.Subie
03-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Hawks are what I am going to soon, my OEM pads dust like a mofo.

kimwallace
03-10-2010, 02:42 PM
After a few bad results with semi-metalic pads, I have gone to ceramic pads on all my vehicles. They are quieter and produce less dust after they are broken in. Stopping seems about the same as factory pads or semi metalic replacements.

GearHead_1
03-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Hawks make a decent product. Raybestos and Wagner are both first rate brake manufactures and offer a variety of products with good, better, best marketing. Interestingly enough and what many fail to realize is that like with most things it`s tough to get the best of both worlds. Softer linings dust more, are quieter and and often stop better but wear out more rapidly. Hard linings last longer but don`t typically have the stopping power and create more noise.

The secret is to find a set that best meets your needs and that can vary on your driving habits, do you want or need a lifetime warranty? If you drive 150 miles a day on the highway a softer pad may be just what you`re looking for. If you`re a midtown taxi a hard pad is probably the only thing that will be there 6 months down the road. Good pads cost money and may not have the lifetime warranty because the cost can become prohibitive. BrakeWorld.com and BrakeWarehouse.com both have a pretty good selection.

If you choose to have a hard lining it`s a good idea to have a grooved, slotted or drilled rotor. I know that by saying this there will likely be comments that will dismiss the benefits of a slotted or cross drilled rotor. I won`t make that argument in this post but the point I`m trying to make is that any of the types of rotors I listed have a disruptive surface. Having a slot or hole makes it so that the lining surface is shaved during normal use, keeping a fresh non glazed surface. This will decrease lining life but it will improve stopping power and help prevent the glaze that ultimately causes noise.

One last comment brakes and tires are not the places to try to save a penny when it comes to car maintenance.