PDA

View Full Version : white 1998 nissan frontier help

dolfans
03-09-2010, 11:17 AM
I am going to clean this truck up in a few weeks so the family can sell it. I have a feeling it has never been waxed/polished. It has been washed though. Needs washing now bc looks like been parked around a tree. I will need otc produts though. Also it has a plastic bedliner what can be done for that,has anyone ever repaired one it is cracked in the corner. It has that big factory strip on it how can i remove it? Thanks

JaredPointer
03-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Wal-Mart should have everything you need to do a compete detail.

Various brands of shampoos.

Meg`s Ultimate Compound, Meg`s SwirlX, Meg`s ColorX for polishes.

Autoglym HD wax, NXT2.0, Mother`s Synwax, etc for LSP.

They have Meg`s clay.

Regarding the plastic bedliner - if it`s damaged, just take it out. There`s not a whole lot in the way of repairing one.

Not real sure what a "big factory strip" is. Can you be a little more descriptive?

Beemerboy
03-09-2010, 11:38 AM
A tad more info is needed to make better suggestions. I am assuming that you are going to clay the paint? Then from that depending on how much work you want to do I or others can make suggestions on polishes.

The bed liner I have no clue what you are talking about with these cracks and the factroy strip? what`s that?

dolfans
03-09-2010, 01:06 PM
It is the strip the nissan and toyota put on trucks in the 1980`s to early 2000`s. Starts around the door and goes to the end of the bed and it`s about 2 inches wide. Maybe tomorrow i can have a pic

JaredPointer
03-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Are you talking about a vinyl graphic?

Beemerboy
03-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Are you talking about a vinyl graphic?

That`s what I`m thinking

JaredPointer
03-09-2010, 01:29 PM
If that`s the case, I don`t think there`s a lot that can be done. You could try some ColorX on it, but I`d suggest taking it off altogether. The early model Toyota trucks (preludes to the Tacoma) look a lot better when you take those things off.

Mr. Clean
03-09-2010, 02:21 PM
I am going to clean this truck up in a few weeks so the family can sell it. I have a feeling it has never been waxed/polished. It has been washed though. (1) Needs washing now bc looks like been parked around a tree. (2) I will need otc produts though. (3) Also it has a plastic bedliner what can be done for that,has anyone ever repaired one it is cracked in the corner. (4) It has that big factory strip on it how can i remove it? Thanks

(1) That presents a picture of a vehicle covered with tree sap, bird droppings etc. As already prescribed a thorough wash followed by the use of a claybar on, at the very least, the horizontal surfaces will get you started. In addition to the Meg`s clay, I like the Mother`s clay bar system, available at this area`s WM`s. In addition to the clay bar, you get a bottle of Showtime QD (a really nice OTC QD) and a small sample bottle of Mother`s Cleaner Wax.

(2) There are some quality options available as noted above. In addition to W@lM@rt, T@rget, Pep Boys, Autozone, O`Reilly`s, etc are other outlets. Will you be doing your work by hand or do you have access to a machine like the PC or Flex?

(3) I have no idea how or even if a crack in a plastic bedliner can be repaired. If the crack isn`t too bad, why not just leave it alone and let the new owner decide if he/she can live with it - may not even be a factor because there are lots of people who never seem to use their p/u as a p/u. Or if it is bad enough to detract from the sale, as others have said remove it.

(4) If it is vinyl graphic...If it is torn, you might try to remove it (of course remove both sides). Otherwise work around it and be careful to remove any wax/sealant residues along the edges.