PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for what to put on GMs wax undercoating?

Dozerboy
02-27-2010, 09:04 PM
I have a 2500HD and the frame is visible from the side. It has a nasty wax coating that GM uses to undercoat there frames. It turned brown shortly after buy the truck and I have never gotten it clean again. Until I took our engine steam cleaner at work to it today. Now thats its clean any suggestions on what to put on it to keep it clean or make it clean up easier?

Thanks

holland_patrick
02-27-2010, 09:43 PM
It`s not wax it`s cosmoline

Cosmoline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline)

""Cosmoline is the trade name for a generic class of rust preventatives, conforming to MIL-C-11796C Class 3, that are a brown colored wax-like mass; have a slight fluorescence; and have a petroleum-like odor and taste.
Chemically, cosmoline is a xxxxgeneous mixture of oily and waxy long-chain, non-polar hydrocarbons. It is always brown in color, and can differ in viscosity and shear strength. Cosmoline melts at 113-125 °F (45–52 °C) and has a flashpoint of 365 °F (185 °C).
Its most common use is in the storage and preservation of firearms. Previously, cosmoline was used to preserve other items. Objects the size of entire vehicles could be preserved for future use with cosmoline.
During World War II, US Coast Artillerymen (serving the huge coastal artillery batteries) were known as "Cosmoliners" because they were tasked with the near constant cosmoline application ("greasing down") of the guns.
During Pacific island campaigns in World War II, the United States Marines sang a song about cosmoline. Adapting the popular big-band tune "Tangerine," they would sing "Cosmoline...keeps my rifle clean."
Due to its gelatinous nature, cosmoline can be difficult to remove completely from firearms and, as such, is being extensively replaced with vacuum-pack PET film.
""

Just keep it clean..

mrclean81
02-27-2010, 10:05 PM
If you have access to a steam washer, use it on a regular basis. That would be your best bet on keeping the frame looking new. After it wears off and the frame starts to rust I would suggest a high grade rubberized undercoating like Penray. It don`t run or clump up and is satin black in color.

jtford95
02-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Patrick, I didn`t know you were a chemist.Good to know.

GearHead_1
02-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Once you get a clean metal surface spray it with Rustoleum (take your choice of colors including clear, frames look fine black). It will last a couple to a few years in most cases.

C. Charles Hahn
02-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Can`t tell you what to put over it, but I can tell you what you can use to touch it up:

DAUBERT NOX RUST X-121B ~ 11 OZ SPRAY CAN ~ New Surplus : eBay Motors (item 320349062981 end time Mar-06-10 12:26:19 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DAUBERT-NOX-RUST-X-121B-~-11-OZ-SPRAY-CAN-~-New-Surplus_W0QQitemZ320349062981QQcmdZViewItem)

That`s exactly the same material they use at the factory. Here`s I-CAR`s write up on GM corrosion protection procedures:

About I-CAR - Current Events/News: e-newsletters: Advantage Online: March 25, 2002 (http://www.i-car.com/html_pages/technical_information/advantage/advantage_online_archives/2002/032502.shtml)

njcarting1
02-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Try and clean the frame with a good degreaser and brush. I would then say use paint from a spray bomb. I have tried the undercoat rout and some will dry with a brownish tint to it so that was not gonna fly. I then used a good quality black spray paint and sprayed the frame 1-2 times a month. The exposed frame rail was black and stayed black and new looking. "Hammered paint" in a can works well and gives some texture to the look and holds up well. Lows, home depot has the stuff, its a staple around here.

Most will say "it`s just a truck frame" Yes it is, but its clean like the rest of the ride.

Scott P
02-28-2010, 07:40 PM
It`s funny that the forum software blocks the letters h, o, m and o when put together.

I would strip that stuff off, then clean, prime and paint what was underneath.

holland_patrick
02-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Patrick, I didn`t know you were a chemist.Good to know.

Nope not a chemist.. Just a firefighter...but there is a lot of chemistry in that field

C. Charles Hahn
03-01-2010, 12:09 AM
It`s funny that the forum software blocks the letters h, o, m and o when put together.

I would strip that stuff off, then clean, prime and paint what was underneath.

Guess we can`t make any threads about milk.... h-o-m-o-genized and all.... :rofl

Dozerboy
03-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys for the help some day I`m going to strip it down and paint the frame but I`m in no hurry. I keep it clean in side the wheel wells, but its a put more work to do the rest.

JohnHenry
03-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Dozerboy,

If you`re going to the trouble of stripping the frame in the future, I would definitely explore the following products: POR-15, or various stuff in the Eastwood or Caswell catalogs.

Wear a good respirator! Let us know how it goes.

Jokeman
03-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Flat black spray paint works good to cover that stuff.