PDA

View Full Version : The Hybrid Invasion is coming

Pages : [1] 2 3

black bart
02-05-2010, 11:13 AM
I was watching Motor-week on TV and they were at the North American International Auto Show.
Every manufactured has new hybrids coming some will have more than one model.

I`m glad I was born when I was because as a gear head I would not be caught dead in a hybrid.

I have enjoyed years of modifying and racing cars.

I think those who buy a hybrid see a auto like a refrigerator just an appliance to take you from point A to point B and that is how I see some of the little appliance cars as well. They are not fun to drive just transportation.

Ronkh
02-05-2010, 11:46 AM
I`m glad I was born when I was because as a gear head I would not be caught dead in a hybrid.

I have enjoyed years of modifying and racing cars.

I think those who buy a hybrid see a auto like a refrigerator just an appliance to take you from point A to point B and that is how I see some of the little appliance cars as well. They are not fun to drive just transportation.

:bow :bow :bow

Scott P
02-05-2010, 12:11 PM
You hardly need a hybrid to view a car as only a means to get from A to B. A lot of people view them that way. I`ve built engines, modded and raced cars as well and I would still drive a hybrid if I wanted one. The Ford Fusion Hybrid looks very nice and I would have no problem driving it.

Mr. Clean
02-05-2010, 12:57 PM
I don`t have a problem at all with hybrid autos or those who buy them. In fact if (some will say when) gas prices rise back to the levels we just recently experienced, those hybrid owners (along with other fuel efficient autos) are going to be looking pretty smart as they drive past me and my p/u (or the turbo`ed NB drinking premium fuel) at the pump.

I reached driving age right in the middle of the muscle car explosion, had one and loved it. You could work on the vehicles back then without too much more than a spark plug wrench. Change the plugs, set the points, change the oil/filter and air filter and you were motoring back down the road. Oh yeah and gas prices, who cared if they only got 10-15 mpg, gas was plentiful and cheap.

Today I probably fall somewhere between viewing my vehicle as a tool and wanting something fun to drive. Those who still need a vehicle to get them to and from their place of business probably should weight their buying decision on the former. I won`t say I`ll never own a hybrid. Never is a long time and who knows what the future holds.

CharlesW
02-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Having ridden in only two hybrid vehicles, a Honda Civic and a Toyota Highlander Limited, I hardly qualify as an expert, but....
The Honda Civic hybrid was not really noticeably different than a standard Civic.
Had it not had all the extra instrumentation, I`m not sure I would have even noticed it was a hybrid.
FWIW, after a trip from Des Moines to Kansas City, it had more range available from the battery pack than it did when we started.

The Toyota was certainly no slouch for acceleration. It`s definitely not a street racer, but it is more than adequate for most people. I think the acceleration is comparable or even better than any SUV I have been in.
It is a very impressive vehicle as it should be for 45 Grand.

Hybrids can be built for performance.
A few years back, one of the automotive magazines had an article about some prototype Japanese performance hybrids. They were very quick.

I don`t think I am quite ready for a hybrid just yet, but we do need to give some thought to some sort of alternative energy source.
The gasoline supply is not going to last forever and depending on countries that hate us for that supply doesn`t give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Mike Phillips
02-05-2010, 01:08 PM
When I read the title I knew it was about cars but I couldn`t help think about all the Hybrids I listed here,

Hybrids (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-how-choose-right-wax-paint-sealant-your-detailing-project.html)

I count 26 but I`m still tweaking it...

:D

Mr. Clean
02-05-2010, 01:16 PM
...The Toyota was certainly no slouch for acceleration. It`s definitely not a street racer, but it is more than adequate for most people. I think the acceleration is comparable or even better than any SUV I have been in. It is a very impressive vehicle as it should be for 45 Grand.
I don`t think I am quite ready for a hybrid just yet, but we do need to give some thought to some sort of alternative energy source.
The gasoline supply is not going to last forever and depending on countries that hate us for that supply doesn`t give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Well now 45 thousand dollars for a SUV, that just might be enough to keep me out a hybrid (SUV that is). But then I`m not one to drive a $45k SUV (or pickup) no matter the powerplant.

While I don`t know how long our fossil fuel supplies will last, I think it is prudent to research and develop efficient alternative energy sources. When the cost to source, refine and deliver our current fuel choice becomes excessive, it would be nice to be able to have a smooth transition to the new plan A.

CharlesW
02-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Well now 45 thousand dollars for a SUV, that just might be enough to keep me out a hybrid (SUV that is). But then I`m not one to drive a $45k SUV (or pickup) no matter the powerplant.

While I don`t know how long our fossil fuel supplies will last, I think it is prudent to research and develop efficient alternative energy sources. When the cost to source, refine and deliver our current fuel choice becomes excessive, it would be nice to be able to have a smooth transition to the new plan A.
The $45,000 price was not just because it was a hybrid.
It is a totally loaded vehicle.
I think the price difference for a hybrid was about $7,000.
A Civic hybrid is probably less than $5,000 additional cost.
I personally don`t think you will save enough money driving a hybrid to offset the original extra cost. Even if you do, chances are the vehicle will be ready for a new battery pack by then.

It may not be the answer, but at least it is an effort.
They said the first cars would never replace the horse either.

cartoysautospa
02-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Just think Mercedes has now the S400 Hybrid...........take a gulp . It`s a mere $91,000.00.

But Toyota has a supercar in the plans Hybird with 400hp 4 electric motors at each wheel..............and 0-60 in 2.8 sec`s. Hope they get the bugs worked out before they put it on the market for 450K

Big Leegr
02-05-2010, 06:21 PM
I read somewhere that the US gov`t made a ruling/law/bill that by some date soon car makers had to sell a certain % of their cars that were either hybrid or had really high MPG, otherwise they`d get fined heavily. Someone had said that in order to force that many hybrids out the door the makers would be selling them at a loss just to avoid the fines.

cwcad
02-05-2010, 06:54 PM
It may not be the answer, but at least it is an effort.
They said the first cars would never replace the horse either.

That is a great point, Charles. I remember discussions with my Father about the horse and the auto. My Dad wanted horse power and Grand Dad wanted horses. It is no different than me wanting horse power and my son who most likely will want eco-friendly power.

Mr. Clean
02-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Big Leegr, there are mandated fuel efficiency targets, but I can`t really tell you what those are or the dates (I`m sure its out there to be found in cyberspace). As far a selling the hybrids at a loss, it will only take another spike in gas prices to allow the dealers to sell those hybrids at MSRP and above.

Btw, always enjoy your sigs. :bigups

black bart
02-05-2010, 07:51 PM
That is a great point, Charles. I remember discussions with my Father about the horse and the auto. My Dad wanted horse power and Grand Dad wanted horses. It is no different than me wanting horse power and my son who most likely will want eco-friendly power.Yea and those electric scooters have such an awesome sound.

CharlesW
02-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Bart, I have to agree on the appeal of a big V-8, both in the performance and the sound, but today`s engines are so far advanced from the old big block days that there is no comparison.
An engine of 1/2 the displacement produces more power, gets better mileage, and will last 2 to 3 times as long.

I loved my 1965 GTO Tri-Power and would love to have it back, but the GTP I own now is as fast, gets nearly twice the mileage, handles as good, and I will be upset if it doesn`t last me for at least 150,000 miles.

black bart
02-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Bart, I have to agree on the appeal of a big V-8, both in the performance and the sound, but today`s engines are so far advanced from the old big block days that there is no comparison.
An engine of 1/2 the displacement produces more power, gets better mileage, and will last 2 to 3 times as long.

I loved my 1965 GTO Tri-Power and would love to have it back, but the GTP I own now is as fast, gets nearly twice the mileage, handles as good, and I will be upset if it doesn`t last me for at least 150,000 miles.But when you apply the new technology to a big V8 you have the best of both worlds.
My vette at a steady 70 mph will get 34 mpg that compares with a small econo box but I can run the quarter in 8.95 at 159mph or do over 250mph OH yeah it also has awesome sound.:bigups

The problem is currently no one manufactures anything like that and if they did it would be expensive.

If Ford puts their new eco-boost 3.5 V6 in the Mustang that should get that kind of mileage and the 412 HP would perform pretty good, no where near my vette but it would satisfy most people.

The technology exists but for some reason Detroit has been slow to adopt it.
They did go to direct injection this year now if they would just add wide band sequential to that direct injection and you will see the mileage and power soar.

So why don`t they already use it?? Because they build to a price point it must be affordable to the masses.