PDA

View Full Version : Behind door handles

Eskimo
01-14-2010, 05:05 PM
I am slowly correcting the paint on a 2007 SL55, black, doing well, except having alot of troubles behind the door handles. My Wolfgang total swirl remover is not getting it done with the hand method. I think I need a heavier cut compound like Megs 105 and 205 but hate to invest the $ for the small area, any suggestions to try would be appreciated.

Poorboy
01-14-2010, 05:13 PM
I use Pro Polish by hand and a cotton rag :rockon

Beemerboy
01-14-2010, 05:14 PM
What kind of applicator are you using, foam, cloth, MF?

Eskimo
01-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Using a MF

Eskimo
01-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Also it does have the C before the paint code which I think means a ceramic clear coat that some have said is very hard, thanks

Beemerboy
01-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Using a MF

That`s one of the issues, MF are great but they do not let you get a good bite on the paint. Get an old cotton rag / t-shirt, etc

As Steve suggested the Pro Polish would be my choice but you can still use your WG product. What ever you do don`t get a more aggressive product

Eskimo
01-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Tomorrow I`ll try a cotton rag with the WG swirl remover, thanks for the ideas

Make it shine!
01-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Definitely try a cotton towel or white tshirt would work. I have great results with M105 and M205 with white tshirt behind all door handles good luck

JaredPointer
01-14-2010, 08:03 PM
I use Meg`s ScratchX with a terry cloth. Has worked every time for me.

Eskimo
01-16-2010, 10:05 AM
I used a cotton towel with more success but still a few marks, do you think ScratchX is a heavier cut than my WG total swirl remover?

Beemerboy
01-16-2010, 01:26 PM
I used a cotton towel with more success but still a few marks, do you think ScratchX is a heavier cut than my WG total swirl remover?

SX is a very aggressive chemical and will leave minor marrying that you will have to use a less aggressive polish to finish up.

JaredPointer
01-16-2010, 04:29 PM
SX is a very aggressive chemical and will leave minor marrying that you will have to use a less aggressive polish to finish up.

I disagree. ScratchX is a diminishing abrasive polish and is not all that harsh/heavy. I can do one-step spot corrections with it by hand and it finishes out nicely. No need to follow with another polish in my experiences.

Pander5
01-18-2010, 09:33 AM
I love M105 and use it for this area as well as a bunch of other areas. You`ll find that you will use M105 for a wide variety of polishing applications and to me it`s well worth the money.

My regular method for this particular areais to use a fairly substantial wooden paint stick, mf towel and mix a "cocktail" of an abrasive polish (M105) with a finish polish (1Z Metallic Polish or P21 GEPC). Seems kind of harsh but it works good for the really hacked up scratches behind some door handles. I then go back over it with a less abrasive polish to brighten and shine to match the surrounding paint. I`ve also used those foam finger thingies for this.

The problem is you can get behind the door handle too good and the paint stick works the polish on the MF behind that area well.

There are plenty of "rubbed out by hand" sections on every vehicle but this is one of the most difficult areas to access. Great question!