PDA

View Full Version : Humidifiers

Mr. Clean
01-08-2010, 05:01 PM
It is darned cold down here (15o F this a.m.) and has been for a little stretch now. So of course the heater is runnin and running and...well, you get the idea. And so, the humidity level in the house has dropped about as fast as the outside temps. I think it was about 20% or so this a.m. Thinking about buying a humidifier this weekend to help with that issue. Not looking for a whole house option or anything too exotic as the need to add humidity to our air doesn`t come along too often. What say you?

Jngrbrdman
01-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Is there a particular issue you are trying to avoid? The only time I turn on the humidifier is when my kids start getting a little croupy. It isn`t something I`ve ever felt was useful in my room, but it seems to help when they get congested like that. My humidifier only gets maybe a week or two worth of use per year if that. If you are feeling like a little more humidity in your room is a good idea, then I guess go for it. I`m pretty used to the dryness since it is usually dry around here anyway, but I guess if it is unusually dry for you and it is causing problems, then a humidifier might be a good solution. I`m just not sure what `issue` the humidifier would fix outside of raising the humidity. Is the dryness a problem?

Ronkh
01-08-2010, 06:38 PM
I run humidifiers all winter. Need 3 of em for the house.

I have one large bemis then 2 bionaire. The bionair is the W6.

I used to have teh w6 s. THe S means that it has built in heating elements so you dont need to use a bacteriastat.

Ronkh
01-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Keeps your skinn good. Breathe easier and is good for all furniture and art work you have in house.

Jngrbrdman
01-08-2010, 06:46 PM
I guess not having any art or furniture you care about has its benefits. ;) I don`t have to worry about humidifiers for anything other than the occasional health benefit.

Mr. Clean
01-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Yep health benefits (breathing/skin), anti-annoyance benefits (static electricity), and all of the wood furniture in the house (lots of antiques). We have a number of framed prints but I had not considered them to be an influencing factor.

Reddwarf
01-08-2010, 10:22 PM
I think you would have to be running several to have any real effect. I have one that we use when we have a cold, etc. I had nasal surgery over the holidays and I used it every night in the bedroom. I`m not really sure it makes such a big difference, especially when the bathroom door got left open! When I was in college I remember having water on a slow boil and that helped, but then I lived in a tiny place too.

Mr. Clean
01-09-2010, 10:47 AM
We had a pan on the cooktop last night. It helped the kitchen, but not any of the adjoining rooms.

What brand/model humidifier did you use?

Reddwarf
01-09-2010, 06:19 PM
On another forum (cpaptalk.com) this exact same topic came up. One of the folks posted a good review for a humidifier he got at Best Buy Honeywell - QuietCare UV Tower 3-Gallon Humidifier - Black - HCM-315T (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Honeywell+-+QuietCare+UV+Tower+3-Gallon+Humidifier+-+Black/7799064.p?id=1142293957875&skuId=7799064)

I like that this one cleans the air too.

Ronkh
01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
On another forum (cpaptalk.com) this exact same topic came up. One of the folks posted a good review for a humidifier he got at Best Buy Honeywell - QuietCare UV Tower 3-Gallon Humidifier - Black - HCM-315T (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Honeywell+-+QuietCare+UV+Tower+3-Gallon+Humidifier+-+Black/7799064.p?id=1142293957875&skuId=7799064)

I like that this one cleans the air too.

Customer Reviews: 2.1 Read reviews (9)