PDA

View Full Version : Water cost?

Pages : [1] 2

CharlesW
12-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Do you have any idea how much you pay a month for water?
I found out that I sure didn`t.
Taking a look at your utility bill occasionally can be very enlightening.
My water bill this month: $49.38 for 3,600 gallons.
Seemed like a bargain to have plenty of good water and good pressure.
I happened to look at the details of the bill and found:

Curbside recycling - $2.45 - Pick up of cans, bottles, papers. I understand and believe in that.
Sewer service - $14.49 - The sewage treatment plant probably doesn`t operate for free.
Tax - $0.91 - OK, gotta fund the government.

Now it gets confusing.
Miscellaneous collections - $0.50 - This I haven`t a clue about. Didn`t even know I had any miscellaneous to be collected.
Water availability - $5.62 - Do we pay for the use of the Des Moines river?
Sewer availability - $11.91 - The sewer lines have been in place over 50 years. Shouldn`t they be paid for by now?
Storm water service - $4.00 - The storm drains have also been in place over 50 years. We sure are slow paying for things.

Now the kicker!
Water charges - $9.50 - The product and service I thought I paid $50 for cost me less than $10.
Now the water really seems like a bargain.
The sewer isn`t bad.
Recycling is definitely worth $2.45
But what the heck is going on with the $22.03 that they buried in the bill?
Could it possibly be a way to collect more money without raising fees? Nah, that would be almost deceitful.
I`m afraid to ask. They might shut off my sewer service. :)

black bart
12-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Do you have any idea how much you pay a month for water?
I found out that I sure didn`t.
Taking a look at your utility bill occasionally can be very enlightening.
My water bill this month: $49.38 for 3,600 gallons.
Seemed like a bargain to have plenty of good water and good pressure.
I happened to look at the details of the bill and found:

Curbside recycling - $2.45 - Pick up of cans, bottles, papers. I understand and believe in that.
Sewer service - $14.49 - The sewage treatment plant probably doesn`t operate for free.
Tax - $0.91 - OK, gotta fund the government.

Now it gets confusing.
Miscellaneous collections - $0.50 - This I haven`t a clue about. Didn`t even know I had any miscellaneous to be collected.
Water availability - $5.62 - Do we pay for the use of the Des Moines river?
Sewer availability - $11.91 - The sewer lines have been in place over 50 years. Shouldn`t they be paid for by now?
Storm water service - $4.00 - The storm drains have also been in place over 50 years. We sure are slow paying for things.

Now the kicker!
Water charges - $9.50 - The product and service I thought I paid $50 for cost me less than $10.
Now the water really seems like a bargain.
The sewer isn`t bad.
Recycling is definitely worth $2.45
But what the heck is going on with the $22.03 that they buried in the bill?
Could it possibly be a way to collect more money without raising fees? Nah, that would be almost deceitful.
I`m afraid to ask. They might shut off my sewer service. :)Consider your self lucky the little town that I live in charges about $ 85.00 for that much water with all the extra charges.
They need more money and plan to raise the fees.
People who live in our capitol Indianapolis complain about 20 bucks a month the small towns are becoming too expensive to live in.

CharlesW
12-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Consider your self lucky the little town that I live in charges about $ 85.00 for that much water with all the extra charges.
People who live in our capitol Indianapolis complain about 20 bucks a month the small towns are becoming too expensive to live in.
I do.
I grew up pumping water from a well.
Never did a hose and bucket wash at my own home until I was 20 years old.
No hose since their was no water supply to connect it to.
It was bucket wash and bucket rinse.:)

Beercan31
12-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Not sure how your water system is connected in your house but I do belive your sewer rate is based on water usage... you just washed the car? It looks GREAT!!!!...... the water you just used just went on your sewer bill.. not sure if its worth it but you might want to think about 2 water meters in the house.

meter 1 total water usage (water bill)
meter 2 water that does NOT go in to the sewer.. Car washing, Pool refilling, dog washing... you get the message.

subtract meter 2 from 1 and that is your sewer usage

my fuzzy math makes your water $1.37 a gallon.. if its real good water you can bottle it and resell it for a few dollars...:bigups

Beemerboy
12-10-2009, 09:33 PM
My water, garbage and sewer are about $110 a month on an average, a tad more in the summer for water alone and a tad less in the winter but that`s the average overall

JaredPointer
12-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Haha - got you all beat (so far). My water is less than $15 a month. :D

One good thing about Alabama - the cost of living is pretty cheap. It sort of helps cancel out the obnoxious Alabama football fans and the backwards people.

Paul Sparks
12-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Consider your self lucky the little town that I live in charges about $ 85.00 for that much water with all the extra charges.

Living in Indy, our water bill is about $20.00 a month but the sewer and garbage collection is added to the bill making it about $55.00-$60.00 a month and thats with the inground pool. not really too bad. Paul S

black bart
12-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Not sure how your water system is connected in your house but I do belive your sewer rate is based on water usage... you just washed the car? It looks GREAT!!!!...... the water you just used just went on your sewer bill.. not sure if its worth it but you might want to think about 2 water meters in the house.

meter 1 total water usage (water bill)
meter 2 water that does NOT go in to the sewer.. Car washing, Pool refilling, dog washing... you get the message.

subtract meter 2 from 1 and that is your sewer usage

my fuzzy math makes your water $1.37 a gallon.. if its real good water you can bottle it and resell it for a few dollars...:bigupsI have 2 water meters 1 is for washing the cars and underground automatic sprinklers. In the summer the meter for the sprinklers runs $125.00 per month for water and the one for the house is around 60 bucks

CharlesW
12-10-2009, 10:05 PM
The sewer charge is based on water usage, but my water that doesn`t go in the sewer system is not all that much. Most of my car washing is done with rinseless or waterless washes and I don`t water the lawn. I`m not sure if I would ever recover the cost of installing a second meter. Good point, though.

I think your math is very fuzzy. :D
$50 divided by 3,600 gallons is about 1.4 cents per gallon. :)
And I think it is pretty good water.
Des Moines Water Works Treated Water Quality:
Sample results 12/8/2009, 12/9/2009
Parameter----Fleur Treatment Plant----L.D. McMullen Water Treatment Plant
Chlorine mg/L------------1.03-----------------------.95
Nitrate mg/L--------------6.17---------------------6.99
Hardness mg/L (gr/gal)--152 (8.89)------------148 (8.65)
pH-------------------------9.75---------------------9.33
Fluoride mg/L-------------0.96----------------------0.91

CharlesW
12-10-2009, 10:15 PM
My intent was to point out how little of my "water" bill was actually for water.
Only $9.50 out of the almost $50 bill.

black bart
12-11-2009, 05:09 AM
My intent was to point out how little of my "water" bill was actually for water.
Only $9.50 out of the almost $50 bill.Yep same here the sewage runs twice as much as the water.

Trash pickup it $12.95 per month goes up on Jan.1 and every year thereafter to the end of the contract the city has with the company that picks it up.

The federal government built a reservoir and forced everyone to build a new sewer treatment plant the idiots running things here built it on top of 30 feet of gravel and could not understand why it would not hold water.:crazy2:

They recently built concrete holding tanks in the same location so now our little town owes Millions for building not 1 but 2 treatment plants.. :surrender

occupant
12-12-2009, 09:16 PM
They have been rebuilding the sewage system in our town for over a decade. Our last water bill I can find (September) shows this:

Water $60.56
Sewage $35.77
Garbage $13.58
Sales Tax at 7.75% 1.12 (levied on trash pickup only)

Total bill $111.03

Water usage
Present 222680
Previous 210790
Used 11890

Do they not use a decimal point? There is NO WAY we could have used 11,890 gallons. 1189 I can believe, for our house is about 1600SF and we have ONE bathroom.

I truly hope we didn`t use 11,890 gallons and that it`s missing a decimal point.

JaredPointer
12-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I think water is measure in cubic feet or cubic meters, not gallons used.

black bart
12-13-2009, 02:45 AM
My water bill is figured in gallons I used 3600 gallons last month.
Here the water don`t cost much but the sewage sure does.

Bunky
12-13-2009, 06:16 AM
We have a community well (private water system) and a septic tank so water rates are low. I take our garbage to the a county center rather than pay someone to haul it off.

I did have to install a water softener since the water is fairly hard and alkaline. Since installing it, I have not used 4 bags of salt. We also have a lot of iron so need to do something about that. The whole house water filter is not removing that.