PDA

View Full Version : Tire Browning

Pages : [1] 2

Bunky
12-05-2009, 08:44 AM
I have read many posts about browning seen on tires. It is supposedly an expected event as a tire ages and some tires are worse than others depending on the compounds in the casing. I was wondering whether how a tire dressing affects it or is some of the browning.

For example, after you dress a tire, the dressing erodes away over time so obviously so something is left on the tire over time after the optical (a dressed tire) effect is essentially gone. So, is some of the "brown" on the tire just residue tire dressing?

Beemerboy
12-05-2009, 10:08 AM
I`ve had some tires brown naturally more than others, mainly the cheaper tires and for what reason I don`t know. What I have found is regular cleaning has helped along with a water based tire dressing.

Now if you are also talking about the browning and or gray color you get after rain from your tire dressing, that is because its a oil based dressing.

Bunky
12-05-2009, 10:19 AM
I have the most browing with Michelins with the fine groove patterns on the side.

It may be that I just cannot clean the pattern as well as the slick side Michelin tires like on my Dakota. They do not brown nearly as much as the Michelin patterned ones.

Beemerboy
12-05-2009, 10:33 AM
What are you using to clean the tires with, APC, brushes, etc?

CharlesW
12-05-2009, 11:29 AM
No scientific info here, but......
I use Poorboy`s Bold N Bright to clean and dress my tires and have very little if any, browning between washes.
That might not be a good example since I wash and clean/dress the tires weekly.
I don`t like shiny tires and the BnB process gives me the look I want.
I spray the BnB on the tire, dry or wet, scrub it with a fairly stiff brush and wipe the tire with a terry towel. Leaves a clean, black, matte look.
I can`t remember the last time I used an APC on the tires. The BNB even cleans up the white letter BFG TAs on the Corvette.
I have read that a shiny look can be had by applying more BnB, but shiny tires just aren`t my thing. (Kinda like shiny paint, though:))

Ronkh
12-05-2009, 12:20 PM
I have the most browing with Michelins with the fine groove patterns on the side.

Thanks.... Considering that is what I put on my car. :wall
Oh well, love the tires and havent had any browning yet.

No scientific info here, but......
I use Poorboy`s Bold N Bright to clean and dress my tires and have very little if any, browning between washes.
That might not be a good example since I wash and clean/dress the tires weekly.
I don`t like shiny tires and the BnB process gives me the look I want.
I spray the BnB on the tire, dry or wet, scrub it with a fairly stiff brush and wipe the tire with a terry towel. Leaves a clean, black, matte look.
I can`t remember the last time I used an APC on the tires. The BNB even cleans up the white letter BFG TAs on the Corvette.
I have read that a shiny look can be had by applying more BnB, but shiny tires just aren`t my thing. (Kinda like shiny paint, though:))

YOu posted that porcess before and I said to myself I was gonna try it. Never did. I really have to since I have it. I spray tires with apc, bush then rinse. After wash is completed or wax is completed I use BnB on tires. This actually saves a step.

Old stories on the browning of tires was that it was silicone caused like with the old armour all etc.

black bart
12-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks.... Considering that is what I put on my car. :wall
Oh well, love the tires and havent had any browning yet.

YOu posted that porcess before and I said to myself I was gonna try it. Never did. I really have to since I have it. I spray tires with apc, bush then rinse. After wash is completed or wax is completed I use BnB on tires. This actually saves a step.

Old stories on the browning of tires was that it was silicone caused like with the old armour all etc.
I have never used BnB but I will try it as soon as I use the 5 or 6 bottles of the different brands sitting on the shelf.

I have BFG-KD tires on my Corvette and no mater what I use even armour-all they will not turn brown for several weeks but I scrub them good with combo of APC and wesley tire cleaner.

Ronkh
12-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Mine was a multi quote.

My reply to you was, thanking you for telling me that the thin lined michelins got brown. Cuz that`s what I put on my car.

CharlesW
12-05-2009, 02:14 PM
I have never used BnB but I will try it as soon as I use the 5 or 6 bottles of the different brands sitting on the shelf.

I have BFG-KD tires on my Corvette and no mater what I use even armour-all they will not turn brown for several weeks but I scrub them good with combo of APC and wesley tire cleaner.Why would that make any difference?

black bart
12-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Why would that make any difference?The browning is from chemical in the tire to keep it from cracking
As this UV protection comes to the surface it will cause browning
Since high performance tires are made from a soft compound for better traction they wear fast and don`t have as much UV protection and so they will brown less.
A long life tire like Michelin needs a lot of UV protection because it will take years to wear them out.
While people complain about browning that is the sign of a good tire.

Tire dressing has nothing to do with it other than a chemical base dressing will remove the bloom and make the tire look brown

CharlesW
12-05-2009, 02:50 PM
:wall:wall:wall
Failed to make my point again.
What I was trying to say was what difference does it make if you have 5 or 6 bottle of dressing or 6 or 7 bottles.
You have so many you can`t keep track of them so what difference would one more make? :D

black bart
12-05-2009, 02:56 PM
:wall:wall:wall
Failed to make my point again.
What I was trying to say was what difference does it make if you have 5 or 6 bottle of dressing or 6 or 7 bottles.
You have so many you can`t keep track of them so what difference would one more make? :D
Because your Obsessive constant Detailing is contagious and I no longer have any money to buy anything else.:surrender
That and the Garage is so full I don`t have room for more.

outlander
12-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I had the same problem with my tires also till I found a product thru Autogeek. It"s called Amazing Roll Off. Wet the tire 1st. then spray with the product let it sit on the tire a few minutes then take a tire brush and scrub it. then rinse with water. It may take a few times till the tire stops browning,:lol2: but it works!:

AutopiaAdmin
12-07-2009, 12:01 PM
The chemical compounds spoke of are called antiozonats

Here is a link to more information Antiozonant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiozonant)

An antiozonant, also known as anti-ozonant, is a chemical compound that prevents or slows down the degradation of material caused by ozone gas in the air (ozone cracking). Antiozonants are used as additives to plastics and rubber, especially in tire manufacturing.

JohnZ3MC
12-19-2009, 11:55 PM
My old winter driver, Sluggo, had old Michelins and they were the brownest tires I`ve ever seen. I tried every tire/rubber cleaner available and all eventually reached a cleaning plateau that still showed brown staining when dry. Quite an eyesore really, especially considering I tried every cleaner I could get my hands on.

Finally I picked up a gallon the the tire/rubber cleaner from Top of the Line. I mixed it 2:1 and the brown goo just rolled off as I sprayed it onto the tires. The same brown goo that wouldn`t budge with conventional cleaners just rolled off like magic. The TOTL rubber cleaner extended the cleaning plateau all the way to black and provided the perfect base for the final dressing.

I only use the TOTL cleaner on really tough jobs now, jobs the usual gang of suspects just can`t touch.
-John C.