PDA

View Full Version : Chat Box Use?

Pages : [1] 2

CharlesW
12-04-2009, 08:43 AM
While I was not a user of the old chat box, it did seem to get quite a bit of use.

The few times I have looked at the present chat box, that seems to no longer be the case.

The format is entirely different, but doesn`t it still do basically the same thing?
What is the reason for people not caring for it and using it?

Is it even worth the effort and expense to keep it if it isn`t going to be used?

Poorboy
12-04-2009, 09:24 AM
While I was not a user of the old chat box, it did seem to get quite a bit of use.

The few times I have looked at the present chat box, that seems to no longer be the case.

The format is entirely different, but doesn`t it still do basically the same thing?
What is the reason for people not caring for it and using it?

Is it even worth the effort and expense to keep it if it isn`t going to be used?

your answer is privacy ;)

Troy@Protekt
12-04-2009, 01:40 PM
There is no further effort or expenses to keep it. Once installed, it runs by itself.

I can`t explain why ours isn`t used much. It`s the exact the same one that is used on Autopia.org and Autogeekonline.net and those are used frequently and the members seem to really love this same ChatBox on those sites.

Most people don`t come to public forums for privacy (unless they have something to hide or the goal is to gossip), I get my privacy when the computers off. Public conversations between numerous people are what forums are all about.

Detail City was founded and exists for that people to communicate and learn and the chat box is another tool to do that. If it`s worth learning about, it`s worth putting in public so that everyone can see rather than a select few.

Mr. Clean
12-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Interesting question CharlesW. I visited the old Chat Room probably twice and had to go to try and find the new one. I guess I need to think of something to shout out.....

:hmmm: I I`ve got nothing.

black bart
12-04-2009, 02:57 PM
There is no further effort or expenses to keep it. Once installed, it runs by itself.

I can`t explain why ours isn`t used much. It`s the exact the same one that is used on Autopia.org and Autogeekonline.net and those are used frequently and the members seem to really love this same ChatBox on those sites.

Most people don`t come to public forums for privacy (unless they have something to hide or the goal is to gossip), I get my privacy when the computers off. Public conversations between numerous people are what forums are all about.

Detail City was founded and exists for that people to communicate and learn and the chat box is another tool to do that. If it`s worth learning about, it`s worth putting in public so that everyone can see rather than a select few.While I do not go to the chat box I totally agree with the public part.
If someone is an expert on a subject say like Steve on Poorboy products why not allow everyone to have access to his expertise.

Troy your view`s are what makes this forum unique.
We can post are opinion on any product that is what makes this forum the best on the web.

Bunky
12-04-2009, 06:16 PM
The DC chatbox is a bit underwhelming.

tuscarora dave
12-05-2009, 01:33 AM
My thoughts are this, with the old chat room I would open a browser and go into the chat room and turn my speaker volume up and then either open a new browser and surf the forums or the web in general and even leave the room and watch some tv, when someone would enter the room there would be a sound kind of like the Jetzon`s theme. Then I would come out and chat.

Now you just check and actually seeing someone using the new chatbox would be like winning a raffle, 1 in 100 chance. The old chat room was one of the reasons detailcity was my favorite detailing forum.

Ronkh
12-05-2009, 09:52 AM

Detail City was founded and exists for that people to communicate and learn and the chat box is another tool to do that. If it`s worth learning about, it`s worth putting in public so that everyone can see rather than a select few.

There are some people that are more comfortable asking things in a "less public" area.

Ya know kind of like when you were in school and were afraid to ask something cuz you didn;t want to ask "a stupid question`.

So you you made a trade off for higher post count. (imho)

If you went to an irc chat room, you could have the best of all worls, since it wouldn`t slow down the server as you say and still have a less public area that some feel more comfortable in.

I watch member #`s in forums. If you looked you would see that at most any given time other detail forums are having more members online. We are getting fewer members. Bad trend.

IMHO you decided to sacrifice what your loyal members are telling you to take the board in "new direction".

The question is........ Are you trying to alienate your loyal members for new ones? Because that`s what`s happening. Problem is the % of new members is going down, while the memberships of other setail boards (including a relatively new one) is going up. (as well as post counts)

Now before you shrug off what I say you need to remember I am a super mod at a board who`s current stats are:

Threads: 135,064, Posts: 1,793,942, Members: 227,468

Your members are talking, and you`re not listening, or you`re listening to the wrong people.

Hope it works out for you.

Ronkh
12-05-2009, 09:57 AM
At this very moment:

The new detail board.
18 members and 40 guests

DC:
Currently Active Users: 57 (15 members and 42 guests)

Bunky
12-05-2009, 10:31 AM
The chat room had other uses.

For example, we had some fun when Troy had those "find the item in the store" contests.

I still remember the MSLT clue that eluded me. Mindflux (have not seen him around any was great a typing faster than almost anyone was good at that.

But I assume Troy`s addition of sponsors is supposed to be a key item in attracting more diverse discussion. And talking out loud, given that all the ads links go to AG, there is more tie in to AG.

Ronkh
12-05-2009, 10:32 AM
There are even posts on other forums on how few posts there are here now. So they are joining other boards.

Ronkh
12-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Even though your porbably annoyed at me, let me put it a different way.

So what you are saying is that DC offers NOTHING different than other boards. So then there is no reason to come here.

Most people don`t come to public forums for privacy (unless they have something to hide or the goal is to gossip), Flat out, that`s wrong. The chat room gave us an area to learn as well as blow off steam (ie "man i had a crappy day. this happend, that happend etc)I get my privacy when the computers off. Public conversations between numerous people are what forums are all about.

Detail City was founded and exists for that people to communicate and learn and the chat box is another tool to do that. Is it really? "Ask your questions in the forums. The ChatBox is for small talk. " No learning there, just "small talk".
If it`s worth learning about, it`s worth putting in public so that everyone can see rather than a select few.

Now I am betting that I am either going to get banned or put on global ignore and my posts in this thread will be gone. But you need to figure out if your members opinions count or not.

As far as the chat room is concerned, there are numerous post about how members want it back. There are alos numerous posts about "chat night" etc in the past. It was something people looked forward to.

Now it`s your board, you have put your money into making it what you want. But before it goes in a bad direction and it goes the way so many other boards have gone, it may be time to listen to the people that helped make DC what it is.

You are taking away the friendly helpfull atmosphere, and it`s just going to turn into a mutual admiration board. No help, just lots of pretty pictures saying "Look what I did"

tuscarora dave
12-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Even though your porbably annoyed at me, let me put it a different way.

Now I am betting that I am either going to get banned or put on global ignore and my posts in this thread will be gone. But you need to figure out if your members opinions count or not.

As far as the chat room is concerned, there are numerous post about how members want it back. There are alos numerous posts about "chat night" etc in the past. It was something people looked forward to.

Now it`s your board, you have put your money into making it what you want. But before it goes in a bad direction and it goes the way so many other boards have gone, it may be time to listen to the people that helped make DC what it is.

You are taking away the friendly helpfull atmosphere, and it`s just going to turn into a mutual admiration board. No help, just lots of pretty pictures saying "Look what I did"

Ron, You have made some pretty good points here in red.

I am not loosing sleep over not having a good chat room here at DC any more, but the thought of sitting and waiting for someone to post something in a chatbox is just silly and IMO no one would do it. This "new and improved" chatbox is surely hit or miss, the problem I see is, that I see nothing... except maybe "good morning DC" Then maybe three days later "anybody here? I guess not."

What a boring experience this feature has become. Not to mention the fact that the member interaction and posting has been very slow since the "improvements" have been made. It is truly unfortunate but it is what it is I guess. I am just glad it`s not the only detailing discussion forum. I just hang out where "the action" is and periodically check back here to see if anything is going on.

I see new sponsors coming now and I have been told in other areas of my life to "let time take time" and to be open minded and I believe I am just that. Part of open mindedness is to express what is going on in one`s mind so there you have it. Have a great day and a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Ronkh
12-05-2009, 01:48 PM
All good points as well Dave.

tuscarora dave
12-05-2009, 03:09 PM
the small box or window on the home page that showed all members who are currently chatting was a nice feature of the old chat room. I see it is not there with this trial , test or whatever is going on with the chat room right now. I am in the chat room as I type this but just like the chatbox no one would know it unless they went in and looked. everytime I would return to the the home page to look at the current status of the threads, I could see who was in there and decide if I wanted to go in from there. That was one of the things that made this a unique and more enjoyable site....because it was different (better imo) not run of the mill or just another detailing site.

In the posts contained on this and many other sites as it pertains to becoming a successful pro detailer it is said that one must show perspective clients what it is that the detailer has or does that places him "a cut above" the rest of his competition and not "just another detailer"... wouldn`t this apply to discussion forums too?

It just seems to me that the leaders of this site are exerting a lot of time and energy into becoming "just another detailing discussion forum". In my oppinion the only difference between the "new and improved" DetailCity and other sites such as AG is the amount of actively logged in members. There is simply nothing that makes DC stand out.

If the admin. has placed the chat room link in the nav bar to proove a point or make a comparison between the way it was and the way it has become, how about making it the way it was, including the notification window to show all members who are currently chatting..??...

I am only trying to voice my oppinion here and stand up and be heard. TD