PDA

View Full Version : Wash brush at Auto geek

Pages : [1] 2

black bart
12-03-2009, 05:42 PM
I was reading the e-mail from Auto-geek and saw this brush in their ad
Montana Original 10 inch Boar’s Hair Brush is a soft, gentle car wash brush for cars, trucks, SUVs, and boats. Auto wash brush boar hair brush (http://www.autogeek.net/prbohabr.html)

This got me thinking does anyone other than me use a brush like this for conventional wash.
If you take a moment to think about it don`t it make sense it holds more water & soap than a mitt it has much more ability to allow soil to be picked up in the bristles without marring.

Look at your mitt and look at the brush and ask yourself which could allow dirt to be picked up in between the bristles or the rope like mitt.

I have used a brush for years and as long as it is a High Quality brush it is faster-cleans better and without marring.

Anyone else here prefer a brush if not lets hear your argument against them.

CharlesW
12-03-2009, 06:13 PM
I was reading the e-mail from Auto-geek and saw this brush in their ad
Montana Original 10 inch Boar’s Hair Brush is a soft, gentle car wash brush for cars, trucks, SUVs, and boats. Auto wash brush boar hair brush (http://www.autogeek.net/prbohabr.html)

This got me thinking does anyone other than me use a brush like this for conventional wash.
If you take a moment to think about it don`t it make sense it holds more water & soap than a mitt it has much more ability to allow soil to be picked up in the bristles without marring.

Look at your mitt and look at the brush and ask yourself which could allow dirt to be picked up in between the bristles or the rope like mitt.

I have used a brush for years and as long as it is a High Quality brush it is faster-cleans better and without marring.

Anyone else here prefer a brush if not lets hear your argument against them.
Not really an argument against them, but my main reason for not having one.
Boar`s hair brush that I would like to have = $90
Sea Wool Sponge = Less than $30
Good Wash Mitt = Less than $20
Cobra Bone = $4 (Purchased when a BOGO)
Grout Sponge = $2 (Seem to work without any problems with marring with rinseless washes)

black bart
12-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Not really an argument against them, but my main reason for not having one.
Boar`s hair brush that I would like to have = $90
Sea Wool Sponge = Less than $30
Good Wash Mitt = Less than $20
Cobra Bone = $4 (Purchased when a BOGO)
Grout Sponge = $2 (Seem to work without any problems with marring with rinseless washes)Charles the $ 5.00 mitt like a lot buy at Wal-Mart will last a year. I bought my brush in 1992 and it still looks like new so at that time I paid $ 35.00 and at 5 bucks per year for a mitt I would have spent $ 90.00

Do you agree that all those thousands of bristles would allow dirt to get in between them more so than a dread-lock mitt.

I`m just trying to find out why so many use a mitt instead of a quality brush.

From your first post I assume it is the price not that you have a problem with the use of a brush.

A few years ago Meguiars stopped making brushes and I bought 2 of their wash brushes at Big Lot`s for I think it was $ 9.99 while these are not boar hair they work great and IMO are faster and better than a mitt.
I`m not sure what they are made of but they work very well.

CharlesW
12-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Price is definitely a factor.
Like I said, the brush I would want is priced at $89.99 right now which is $10 less than its usual $99.99 price.
As far as marring the finish, I doubt that it would, but never having tried one, I don`t really know.

The Meguiar`s Body Brushes are what I use for wheel cleaning. Like you, I bought a couple when they were being phased out at some very low prices.
I have not used them on the body panels.
I also have an OXO body brush that was discontinued. I use it on tires with Bld N Bright, but wouldn`t even consider using it on painted surfaces.

Personal opinion, but I think successful washing is like all paint care.
90% technique, 10% tools/product.

Ronkh
12-03-2009, 10:36 PM
I`ve got the brush you are talking about. Bought it and never used it.
I got cold feet after I bought it, and never even opened it.
If you look back, I even posted about it. Still have cold feet.
Guess I`ll try it first on wifes car.

CharlesW
12-03-2009, 10:40 PM
I`ve got the brush you are talking about. Bought it and never used it.
I got cold feet after I bought it, and never even opened it.
If you look back, I even posted about it. Still have cold feet.
Guess I`ll try it first on wifes car.Why not try it on the neighbor`s car?
Chances are they wouldn`t even notice if it did swirl the paint.

black bart
12-03-2009, 10:44 PM
I don`t have a problem with using a mitt but I`m trying to find out why no one ever mentions a brush seems like a mitt is the weapon of choice and I was just curious as to why no one used a brush.

I think a quality brush does an excellent job.

I bought some of the Meg. wheel brushes as well as a couple of the body brushes at the close out. Won`t ever need to buy new brushes I have several that have not been used yet.

CharlesW
12-04-2009, 08:27 AM
I don`t have a problem with using a mitt but I`m trying to find out why no one ever mentions a brush seems like a mitt is the weapon of choice and I was just curious as to why no one used a brush.

I think a quality brush does an excellent job.

I bought some of the Meg. wheel brushes as well as a couple of the body brushes at the close out. Won`t ever need to buy new brushes I have several that have not been used yet.
I passed on the wheel brushes. They felt a little too harsh for me to feel comfortable using them on my painted or powder coated wheels.
The body brush seems to be fine for wheels, but I`m still not sure about them on body panels.
Have you used the wheel brushes?

Ronkh
12-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Why not try it on the neighbor`s car?
Chances are they wouldn`t even notice if it did swirl the paint.

Only if I could leave some of my dogs` presents under the seats for them to enjoy.

black bart
12-04-2009, 04:13 PM
I passed on the wheel brushes. They felt a little too harsh for me to feel comfortable using them on my painted or powder coated wheels.
The body brush seems to be fine for wheels, but I`m still not sure about them on body panels.
Have you used the wheel brushes?Yes I use the cone shaped brush on the vette all the time because the wheels are 11 inches wide and it is hard to reach the back with out the brush.

CharlesW
12-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Yes I use the cone shaped brush on the vette all the time because the wheels are 11 inches wide and it is hard to reach the back with out the brush.
My bad.
I was thinking of the wheel face brush.
I had totally forgotten about the cone shaped brush. I do have one of those that I use occasionally to clean the back side of the wheels.
I also use a mug scrubber that works pretty good on the wheel inside, but might not reach far enough to do your Corvette wheels.
Looks like this:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/CharlesEW/prod_41785-00348.jpg

black bart
12-04-2009, 06:46 PM
My bad.
I was thinking of the wheel face brush.
I had totally forgotten about the cone shaped brush. I do have one of those that I use occasionally to clean the back side of the wheels.
I also use a mug scrubber that works pretty good on the wheel inside, but might not reach far enough to do your Corvette wheels.
Looks like this:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/CharlesEW/prod_41785-00348.jpgYes I have 1 of those also it works good but only reaches the back because I can put my hand through the opening in my A mold wheels.
I found a very stiff foam brush in the grocery section at Wal-Mart it has a curve at the end of the Handel and I think it is a stool scrubber but it works well for tires too.
I have a large assortment of brushes and foam gizmo`s to clean with and good thing is they cost very little when made for the house instead of auto.

Dtrick.22
12-04-2009, 09:18 PM
I prefer brushes. I just think its so much quicker and as long as its good quality like the Boar`s Hair there isn`t any problems. I never use a mitt because I dont like them, and have never felt the need to because I don`t wreck the paint with my brush.

tuscarora dave
12-05-2009, 02:04 AM
I have a brush that I purchased at advance auto years ago, it is soft bristled (feathered) but it has slightly marred. I use it to wash the ratty cars that I have the pleasure of detailing as it is a lot faster and these cars are all marred up anyway, but I never use it on the maintenance washes that i do. I would like a boars hair brush but I can think of many other things that I would pay $100 for first.

black bart
12-05-2009, 04:56 AM
I have a brush that I purchased at advance auto years ago, it is soft bristled (feathered) but it has slightly marred. I use it to wash the ratty cars that I have the pleasure of detailing as it is a lot faster and these cars are all marred up anyway, but I never use it on the maintenance washes that i do. I would like a boars hair brush but I can think of many other things that I would pay $100 for first.OK so you don`t have a problem with a quality brush other than the price.
I can agree it is over priced for what it is and everyone has the option of using a much cheaper mitt.
This is what I thought would be the results people don`t use the brush because of price. :)

I believe if the car is really dirty like around here in the winter a brush is not only faster but safer it has thousands of crevasses for the dirt to go other than staying under a bristle and cause marring.
When using a brush the key to success is a high quality brush.

I think cheap brushes has caused the brush to get a bad reputation.