PDA

View Full Version : Wax 101

Pages : [1] 2

tiffanyp
03-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Hi,

I`m somewhat new in detailing and want to learn. I have a couple of questions if you can explain:

* What is the difference between wax and polish? Do I use one after another? Can you give some examples with certain products.

* What is the difference between carnauba wax and synthetic wax. Is there an advantage between one or the other. Does one last longer or shines more than another. I was told never to use synthetic wax but I`ve read synthetic wax (aka: Poorboy/Zaino) shines better and last longer than carnauba.

:)

ron
03-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Polish cleans and gives the gloss to car paint finish and wax protects the finish from the elements.

Answer to second question- They both protect, however, a sealant (synthetic wax) usually last and protects longer.

Ron

Boss_429
03-11-2004, 06:26 PM
tiffanyp,

Yep, don`t let some of the terms that some manufacturers use get you confused. For example, Zaino is called "Show Car Polish", but is really a synthetic protective coating (sealant, or synthetic wax if you like). Carnauba wax is a natural protective coating (or wax) made from carnauba.

Some polishes.................. Poorboy`s SSR series, Meguiar`s #9, Meguiar`s SFP (Swirl Free Polish), 3M Finesse It II, and many others.

Some synthetic protective coatings - Poorboy`s EX-P, 4 Star UPP, Meguiar`s NXT, Zaino, Klasse, BlackFire and more.

Some natural protective coatings - P21S/S100, Natty`s Wax, Pinnacle Souveran, Meguiar`s #26, just to name a few.

III
03-11-2004, 08:49 PM
A synthetic/polymer will last longer, but will not give that deep rich look.

A carnuba product will give more of a deep, rich look to the paint, hide minor flaws more, but not last as long as a synthetic/ploymer.

Most people will use a synthetic/polymer topped with a carnuba for the best of both.

awd330
03-11-2004, 11:43 PM
There are also hybrid synthetic/carnauba products. The main example that comes to mind is Poorboy`s EX.

tiffanyp
03-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I`m going to follow III idea and use synthetic topped with a carnauba. In your experience, does the PB EX-P shines better than Zaino Z2 with ZFX?

Need Help Here.:wait

:jump

Boss_429
03-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by tiffanyp
Thanks for the replies. I think I`m going to follow III idea and use synthetic topped with a carnauba. In your experience, does the PB EX-P shines better than Zaino Z2 with ZFX?

Need Help Here.:wait

:jump

"Better" is in the eyes of the user. The EX-P will have a different look.

What color(s) vehicle(s) will you be using the stuff one?

tiffanyp
03-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Colors will be Black and Steel Grey (dark gunmetal look).

TIA!:angel

Boss_429
03-13-2004, 08:56 PM

TIA!:angel

Hmmmmm.......... both dark colors............ I would think that EX-P, topped with carnauba would look a bit better............ certainly a bit different. I have a Dark Shadow Gray truck that I used Zaino Z5, and Z2 on. I`ve switched to synthetic/carnauba combos, as I think it looks better. On my previous white vehicle, I really liked Zaino. On my wifes black SUV, I really prefer a glaze/carnauba.

Anyhow, again................. you`ll need to be your own judge.

awd330
03-13-2004, 09:45 PM
For those colors, I would try Vanilla Moose topped with regular EX. I find that combo provides a very rich, wet, and deep gloss on dark greys. Should do the same for black.

dalmore
03-14-2004, 07:35 AM
Where can I get Vanilla Moose? I seem to keep loosing the store every time I find it .... :dunno

awd330
03-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by dalmore
Where can I get Vanilla Moose? I seem to keep loosing the store every time I find it .... :dunno
Vanilla Moose is manufactured by ClearKote -
ClearKote Website (http://www.clearkote.com/index.htm)

I purchased my ClearKote products through one of their distributors, Specialty Motoring -
Specialty Motoring Website (http://www.specialtymotoring.com/index.html)

mirrorfinishman
03-17-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by III
A synthetic/polymer will last longer, but will not give that deep rich look.

A carnuba product will give more of a deep, rich look to the paint, hide minor flaws more, but not last as long as a synthetic/ploymer.

Most people will use a synthetic/polymer topped with a carnuba for the best of both.

Meguiar`s #20 Polymer Sealant topped with #26 Yellow Wax would also accomplish this task.

Here`s a link to the Meguiar`s sitemap: http://www.meguiars.com/sitemap/

Just my thoughts...

JimS
03-17-2004, 08:37 AM
My suggestion is what I did a year ago when I got started. I went to www.poorboysworld.com, got the phone number and called. Steve is the owner. He`s had years of bodyshop and detailing shop experience and he developed the Poorboy line of detailing products. He`ll be happy to guide you, as he did me, won`t sell you anything you don`t need and will always provide great products and service.

Sticking with his line of products helped me to avoid all the confusion of what products do what and where to get them. Talk to him and be sure to get some Spray & Wipe.

GearHead_1
03-17-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman
Meguiar`s #20 Polymer Sealant topped with #26 Yellow Wax would also accomplish this task.

Here`s a link to the Meguiar`s sitemap: http://www.meguiars.com/sitemap/

Just my thoughts...

MFM,

Great advice. I`m a little on the slow side, welcome back!