PDA

View Full Version : The 4 minimum categories of wiping cloths

Mike Phillips
11-24-2009, 02:00 PM
The 4 minimum categories of wiping cloths (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/autogeek-net-sponsored-forum/27935-4-minimum-categories-wiping-cloths.html)

Just as important as any product or tool in your detailing arsenal are your wiping cloths. You can use the best compound, the best polish, the best LSP and of course the best buffing pads and top of the line polishers but if you`re using any type of wiping cloth that is in some way, shape or form contaminated then you risk putting swirls and scratches into your car`s finish. For this reason it`s important to separate your wiping cloths into dedicated categories and have some type of labeling system so that you or others know what a collection of wiping cloths can be used on safely.

The ultimate goal is to have confidence that when you go to remove your LSP of a finish you`ve toiled over all day long, that the end results will giddy with glee, not because the paint looks fabulous, not loathsome and infuriated because you just instilled scratches back into the paint you`ve worked on so hard.

More than that, you want friends, family and even employees to be enabled to choose the right cloth in case they`re are to perform any kind of detailing task with or without your supervision. For example, you`re gone, a bird leaves a bird dropping on the hood of your girlfriend or wife`s car and in their attempt to remove the bird dropping you don`t want them grabbing the wrong microfiber polishing cloth and remove the bird dropping but create a new Saturday Detailing Project for you in the process.

4 Categories Minimum
Everyone should have at least 4 types of wiping cloths, some of you may have more categories like a dedicated collection of glass wiping cloths, or wiping cloths dedicated towards leather and vinyl dressings. These are the minimum, feel free to separate your wiping cloths as much as you like and places like Target offer plastic roll-around bins with drawers that you can label and store your different groups of wiping cloths. It`s important to separate any cloth deemed worthing of wiping a high gloss finish from all the rest.

Good Microfiber Polishing Cloths
You can `touch` paint with microfiber polishing cloths from this collection. These are the microfiber polishing cloths in your collection that are new or you have washed and dried and you trust them to be safe on a high gloss, polished finish.

Tatty Microfiber Polishing Cloths
These are washed, dried and clean, but their quality has fallen to a level that you have deemed them not worthing of touching a high gloss, polished finish. You don`t throw them away because they still have value for wiping spray detailers or cleaner/waxes out places like door jambs, chrome wheels or bumpers, a roll bar, the paint on a boat trailer, or some components in the engine compartment. You might even keep them around for checking the oil or wiping grease off your hands after changing the oil. The point is they are still great at removing residue, just not off a swirl-free, scratch-free, high gloss surface.

Good Cotton Towels
While microfiber is superior at removing polishes, waxes and paint sealants off paint, and especially trace residues off smooth, high gloss finishes, there`s still a place for good quality cotton towels. For example, cleaning you pad on the fly. Cotton towels with a large nap work better than microfiber towels. Some people prefer a cotton towel with a large nap to remove compounds because they offer a more aggressive bit but then switch over to microfiber for removing polishes and LSP`s. Your good cotton towels should be clean and soft and worthing of working on paint in good condition or better.

Tatty Cotton Towels
Tatty Cotton Towels are cotton towels that are washed and dried but for whatever the reason, their quality is fallen off to far from what`s acceptable to touch paint in good condition or better. They still have value however for mundane tasks like wiping excess tired dressing off the face of a tire, applying or wiping cleaners and dressings in the fenderwell area, applying or removing cleaners, dressings or cleaner/waxes in the trunk area or door jambs and engine compartments. The have value because they are absorbent, clean and ready to use and paid for. After some projects you might be better of discarding them versus trying to clean them well enough that they can be used again.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

black bart
11-25-2009, 02:51 AM
I do pretty much as you describe but for the messy jobs I buy a bundle of those cheap towels at Wal-Mart they are cheap and after used I throw them away.
When I put dressing on the tires I wipe them good with one of these towels then I use the same towel and apply Car-Bright Sheen to the fender wells and then throw it away.

I shot this early morning right into the sun so it ruined the photo but on the right you can see the fender well and how the plastic looks when treated with this product.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q112/BlackBart_photo/ShowPictures020.jpg

Bunky
11-25-2009, 06:27 AM
Where do you find good terry cloth towels? At OTC, it is hard to find foam applicators and good terry cloth. The Viking brand feels rough.

black bart
11-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Where do you find good terry cloth towels? At OTC, it is hard to find foam applicators and good terry cloth. The Viking brand feels rough.Bunky if you are directing your question at me what I buy at WM is a poor quality cheap towel not suitable for anything other than wheels tires under hood things like that.
Since they are cheap I just use them and then dispose of them

Bunky
11-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I use the cheap Viking ones (12 for $12) on wheels and did try the polish removal trick that Mike likes. I found out that Meguiar`s sells nice terry cloth towels. I have not found anyone who sells them yet.

Mike Phillips
12-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Where do you find good terry cloth towels? At OTC, it is hard to find foam applicators and good terry cloth. The Viking brand feels rough.

Wherever I can find them.

I`ve used Fieldcrest and Cannon bath towels, basically cutting them up into smaller sections. The gym where I work out actually sells a nice small 100% cotton towel and there`s a guy online that sells some type of cotton micro-fiber towel and I`ve used a few of his and thought they were really nice.

Most of my cotton towel work is for wiping off compounds at at this point of the job having the highest quality towel isn`t as important to me as just getting the compound residue off the paint so I can move on to the polishing step. Any towel inflicted marring will be removed by the polishing step so it`s a matter of speed over function.

One time at a pool where I worked out the maintenance man knew I detailed cars and asked me if I needed any towels? I said sure!

So he led me to a huge boiler room and in the room was a mountain of bath towels and beach towels left by swimmers over time. He let me pick through them and take any that I wanted. I basically felt each towel for softness and read the labels and if it looked like a quality towel it went into my collection.

I was set for a long time for polishing towels.

So... back to my original answer... wherever I can find them...

Gym, Pool, K-mart, etc.

For finishing work though it`s vitally important to use premium quality microfiber polishing cloths and AutoGeek has pretty much every kind of microfiber polishing cloth known to man.

Lately I`ve been using these,

Cobra Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel 6 Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-supreme-buff-microfiber-towel-6pack.html)

They are very thick and plush, ones side has a large nap while the other has a short nap, so you can pick the nap that suits your taste for the task at hand.

The key about microfiber polishing cloths with a large, fluffy nap is you must make sure nothing contaminates them because the nap will attract and trap just about anything, including your polish and wax residue or a dead, dried leaf.

So try to have clean, dedicated laundry hampers for your specialty towels and don`t ever drop them on the ground and don`t wash them with anything else.

:)