PDA

View Full Version : PB`s TR outlasted by 303 on exterior

wifehatescar
03-11-2004, 02:24 PM
I tried a 2" faded section of windshield trim with TR and a 2" faded section with 303. I applyed, waited 10 minutes and then buffed both off.
The 303 looked better to me (darker) but I expected it to wear off quick....

well 3 weeks later (and 2 rains later), the area that had the 303 applied still is barely noticeable, the TR was gone over a week ago!
I was expecting the TR to last much longer based on all the positive things I`ve heard, anyone have any commets?

Poorboy
03-11-2004, 02:30 PM
is that trim smooth plastic or grained vinyl? TR is not meant for smooth plastic

ps...did you shake the TR....we left that off the directions by mistake:doh

wifehatescar
03-11-2004, 02:38 PM
It is rather smooth, it`s the front windshield trim of my 98 Integra. All my exterior trim is smooth except for the lower skirt. I try to shake all my products before use.
Why would it work on a slight grain but not on a smooth trim piece?

Would BnB or NL work on smooth trim or do you really not have a product for that?

ps-I tried PwC and EX on a 2" section too but the look did not change (although I`m sure it was protected now)

rockford33
03-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Will Pro Polish work to remove old wax from smooth black plastic trim? Is it basically completely car friendly (i.e. can I just go from the roof, and go down to the rear window, and not harm the trim)? Are all PB`s products "trim friendly"?

awd330
03-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by rockford33
Will Pro Polish work to remove old wax from smooth black plastic trim? Is it basically completely car friendly (i.e. can I just go from the roof, and go down to the rear window, and not harm the trim)? Are all PB`s products "trim friendly"? Pro Polish is probably one of the least "trim friendly" products in the Poorboy`s lineup. It is very good for removing all types of surface contamination, but you must buff thoroughly before it has a chance to completely dry to avoid staining. Polish with Carnauba would be my preference for smooth trim, while Trim Restorer is my product of choice for textured trim.

ranch4x4
03-16-2004, 08:14 PM
Trim restorer has cleaning ability right?

awd330
03-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by ranch4x4
Trim restorer has cleaning ability right?
Yes, Trim Restorer does have some cleaning ability. However, heavily stained trim would benefit from a separate cleaning process prior to dressing with Trim Restorer.

Poorboy
03-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by wifehatescar
It is rather smooth, it`s the front windshield trim of my 98 Integra. All my exterior trim is smooth except for the lower skirt. I try to shake all my products before use.
Why would it work on a slight grain but not on a smooth trim piece?

Would BnB or NL work on smooth trim or do you really not have a product for that?

I did some testing the other day and found the new QD+ to work best on smooth trim...nice and clean look and can be buffed out...

Dressings are best for materials that are porus not hard and smooth:hippi

ranch4x4
03-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by awd330
Yes, Trim Restorer does have some cleaning ability. However, heavily stained trim would benefit from a separate cleaning process prior to dressing with Trim Restorer.

I gotcha on that. I always use a white eraser to get rid of the staining on plastic trim and it hasn`t failed me yet, I bet TR would be great to use afterwards. :):headbang

awd330
03-16-2004, 10:13 PM
I gotcha on that. I always use a white eraser to get rid of the staining on plastic trim and it hasn`t failed me yet, I bet TR would be great to use afterwards. :):headbang
Yes, I`ve used the white vinyl eraser trick too. Works pretty well for isolated stains, but not the best solution for wide expanses.

ranch4x4
03-16-2004, 10:46 PM
What do you recommend for large area stains on trim?

awd330
03-16-2004, 10:57 PM
What do you recommend for large area stains on trim?
I use a 50/50 water and isopropyl alcohol mix. However, as was discussed in a recent thread, this solution has a drying effect. It`s not something that should be used on a frequently recurring basis. If you need to repeatedly clean the same trim, you should either: be more careful ;), tape off the trim before detailing, switch to non-staining products, or use a dedicated trim cleaner like Meguiar`s #39.