PDA

View Full Version : Winter product storage?

cheapshot
11-22-2009, 09:57 AM
How does everyone store there products during winter?

Would a unheated garage be sufficient?

rabbi
11-22-2009, 10:27 AM
I store/d my products in my bedroom and in my basement. So far I have not had any problems with products freezing.
I do not know at what temperature the products freeze/harden so I can`t help you with your question about being safe in an unheated garage.:passout:

CharlesW
11-22-2009, 11:14 AM
If the temperature where you have the products will allow them to freeze, then that is not a good place to store them.
Some products can be damaged to where they are no longer usable from being frozen.
Some separate and will not remix. I once read that it had something to do with the emulsifiers no longer being able to do their job.
If you think they might freeze, take them in the house.

forrest@mothers
11-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Many products (car wash, detailers, protectants) will thaw and can be shaken for use.

But, many products will be damaged where they will not perform as before. Paste Wax, wheel cleaners in emulsion, etc.

Your best bet is to store them in an area which does not get below freezing. Extreme temperatures, both high and low, are not good for appearance chemicals.

black bart
11-23-2009, 07:55 AM
While some products will work ok after freezing most do not.
Best temp for storage is to not allow it to get below 50F

Bobby@Autogeek
11-23-2009, 10:51 AM
A climate controlled room is the best for storing detailing supplies.

togwt
11-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Storage Temperature (Product)

[Store waxes and glazes in a cool dark place preferably refrigerated. Warm them to room temperature overnight before use] Zymol
Storing products in a refrigerator or wine cooler adds to the elitist or exclusivity factor, as far as the contents are concerned it has no merit from a chemical standpoint

Car care products should not be stored at temperatures below 35 - 40oF, if they freeze they may become unstable and therefore unusable, ideal storage temperature range- 50- 75oF with an average humidity range. Most car care products have a ‘useful life’ of approximately 2-3 years provided they are stored as above.

Do not store at temperature extremes (below 40 – over 80.0F +) as heat will destabilise emulsified products (wax, polymer sealants, polishes, etc) and avoid extreme temperature swings as the chemicals will become unstable. Most car care products (including Polymers) will separate and may become unusable after being subjected to freezing temperatures

The chemical composition of waxes rarely ever change regardless of what form it is in, whether it is melted to a semi-liquid or remains as a semi-solid.

Temperature has little to no effect as far as inhibiting the shelf life of wax, a cool temperatures and constant humidity will slow the evaporation of solvents from the wax, thus keeping the wax softer and easier to use over a longer period of time.

jtford95
11-27-2009, 01:13 PM
I put all polish, wax, things like that, in my craw space. I asked my supplier and I was told that polishes, compounds things like that, can only freeze 1 time.

CharlesW
11-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Just a thought for the hobby detailer. (Might be too much bother for a Pro)

Most of my products are in my basement year round.
I just take the products I plan to use outside or to the garage.
Some tote trays like this work great for me.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/CharlesEW/ToteTray.jpg
I have several and keep different products for different projects in them.
One with just the things I need for a regular wash and interior clean up, one with polishes and LSPs for a full or partial detail.
I do keep a small bottle of an AIO product in the wash tray in case I have an area that needs a paint cleaner or polish such as where I needed to remove road tar.
If I`m doing a waterless wash such as with S&W, all I need is the one tray.
If I`m doing a hose & bucket wash, (rarely anymore) or a rinseless wash, the same tote tray is used along with my double compartment wash bucket.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/CharlesEW/HPIM0152.jpg
Did I ever mention I like easy?

Bunky
11-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Charles, why not create the ultimate cold weather detailing writeup - tools, techniques, clothing, products, etc?

CharlesW
11-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Charles, why not create the ultimate cold weather detailing writeup - tools, techniques, clothing, products, etc?Mostly because I`m not really much of an authority on cold weather detailing. I have a garage that I heat when I work on the vehicles.
Waterless and rinseless washing is done in the 40 to 60 degree temperature range and rarely below 50 degrees.
Polishes and LSPs are normally used in the 60 to 70 degree range.

Working in the extreme cold like some have to do doesn`t fit my definition of easy. :D