PDA

View Full Version : rough patches on paint

rockford33
11-16-2009, 03:51 PM
I noticed yesterday after washing my car that I had some rough feeling patches on one side of my car. I have a feeling it may be clearcoat overspray from when my car was in the shop over the summer, although it is on the other side from where the work was done (front driver`s quarter panel banged up, hood and front bumper blended and re-cleared). I can`t see anything, but definitely feel something rough (still looks shiney though) and can hear it as I rub my hand across the panels. Seems to be some areas on the front passenger quarter panel, front and rear passenger doors, and passenger rear quarter.

If this is clearcoat overspray, what is the best way to get it off? I tried for a few minutes last night with my 7424, polishing pad, and PB`s SSR 1 and 2 and it didn`t seem to do much, if anything. I also had PB`s PP and SSR 2.5. Should I step up to a cutting pad, or step up the polish, or both? Or lightly wetsand?

Thanks,
Neil

Poorboy
11-16-2009, 03:57 PM
I noticed yesterday after washing my car that I had some rough feeling patches on one side of my car. I have a feeling it may be clearcoat overspray from when my car was in the shop over the summer, although it is on the other side from where the work was done (front driver`s quarter panel banged up, hood and front bumper blended and re-cleared). I can`t see anything, but definitely feel something rough (still looks shiney though) and can hear it as I rub my hand across the panels. Seems to be some areas on the front passenger quarter panel, front and rear passenger doors, and passenger rear quarter.

If this is clearcoat overspray, what is the best way to get it off? I tried for a few minutes last night with my 7424, polishing pad, and PB`s SSR 1 and 2 and it didn`t seem to do much, if anything. I also had PB`s PP and SSR 2.5. Should I step up to a cutting pad, or step up the polish, or both? Or lightly wetsand?

Thanks,
Neil

well I`d try clay first and see if that does the trick .. if not then the Pro Polish ;)

rockford33
11-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the quick reply PB. I was thinking of clay, but not sure where mine is or if it is still any good....

Is PB`s Spray and Wipe a good enough lube? If not, I have some ONR I can mixed into a clay lube.

Thanks,
Neil

Poorboy
11-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the quick reply PB. I was thinking of clay, but not sure where mine is or if it is still any good....

Is PB`s Spray and Wipe a good enough lube? If not, I have some ONR I can mixed into a clay lube.

Thanks,
Neil

no problem .. S&W or ONR can work ;)

Pander5
11-17-2009, 07:38 AM
If you find your clay it should still be good. If it`s dried out simply rub in some QD or what was previously suggested to moisten it up and make it more pliable. I can`t beleive clay ever goes "bad", just drys out maybe.

I also like the clay suggestion first for these rough spots.