PDA

View Full Version : OTC full detail? Anyone...

grizzlee
11-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Hey I was just wondering...

I know we have a lot of seasoned pro detailers here, but I was wondering (Would like to see) what the average Joe has been able to do with "over the counter products..."

The average Joe may not go as far as some of us to get the ultimate finish.

I consider myself "average Joe plus" :)

Troy I hope I have this in the right section...

black bart
11-09-2009, 02:37 AM
Hey I was just wondering...

I know we have a lot of seasoned pro detailers here, but I was wondering (Would like to see) what the average Joe has been able to do with "over the counter products..."

The average Joe may not go as far as some of us to get the ultimate finish.

I consider myself "average Joe plus" :)

Troy I hope I have this in the right section...I`m certainly not professional I don`t know if I even qualify as average Joe but this is a photo of my hood.
Polish was Maguires #80 and LSP was DG-105 both bought over the counter at my local Car-Quest

http://picasaweb.google.com/rpiper28/CorvettePictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCJWs3qbb043jHg#5401 909366033302738

JaredPointer
11-09-2009, 02:43 AM
I could do everything with OTC products - right down to the PC7424 using pads from Carquest.

Just my opinion, but there`s some very good OTC products.

Jngrbrdman
11-09-2009, 03:53 AM
As long as I didn`t need a wide variety of polishes, then you can get a lot done over the shelf. You really turn a corner in appearance and durability when you shop for premium products online, but you can get quite a bit done off the shelf. In fact, the guide I wrote on my site for detailing with OTC products hasn`t changed much as far as my recommendations go. I`ll have to check it to see if XMT was out when I wrote it, but everything else I`ve suggested in that guide still hold true. I`m looking forward to trying this new Mother`s wheel/tire cleaner to see how that matches up to A2Z and see if it can dethrone a long standing favorite. I`d also like to see someone come up with a tire shine that competes with Eagle One Wet. I`d also like to see a better vinyl & leather cleaner to be made in the consumer line, but there is great stuff out there for maintaining your vehicle once it is brought up to the right standard.

RaskyR1
11-09-2009, 10:29 PM
I think I could easily do a full detail with OTC products. My biggest concern would be finding good pads...though I can get Megs and 3M locally at a paint and body store.

gvilledetailing
11-09-2009, 10:33 PM
I would have to say that it depends on where you shop. Some places will have a better OTC selection. It is possible to get just about perfect results when using the products correctly. With that being said some things will need to be tackled with products you cannot find OTC.

JaredPointer
11-09-2009, 10:48 PM
I`d also like to see someone come up with a tire shine that competes with Eagle One Wet.

Stoner`s More Shine Less Time. I am becoming a big fan of this stuff.

RaskyR1
11-09-2009, 11:09 PM
I would have to say that it depends on where you shop. Some places will have a better OTC selection. It is possible to get just about perfect results when using the products correctly. With that being said some things will need to be tackled with products you cannot find OTC.

+1 :bigups

black bart
11-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Stoner`s More Shine Less Time. I am becoming a big fan of this stuff.Problem is not every one wants the same look.
Some prefer the wet baby oil look and others do not so the debate as to what is best will go on forever.
Depends on where you go to get over the counter stuff I have a local auto parts store that sells paint and ALL body shop products they sell 3 M products and while some may not prefer 3M their is no paint correction that can not be done with the correct choice of 3M product so yes if you shop at the right place you can buy every thing you need over the counter. You have to look somewhere other than Wal-Mart.

JaredPointer
11-10-2009, 02:03 AM
Problem is not every one wants the same look.
Some prefer the wet baby oil look and others do not so the debate as to what is best will go on forever.
Depends on where you go to get over the counter stuff I have a local auto parts store that sells paint and ALL body shop products they sell 3 M products and while some may not prefer 3M their is no paint correction that can not be done with the correct choice of 3M product so yes if you shop at the right place you can buy every thing you need over the counter. You have to look somewhere other than Wal-Mart.

Good thing about MSLT is that you can spay and let dry and respray again for a very wet look or spray and "buff" for a matte finish.

My wife`s tires look better with more of a shine as compared with my truck due to the smaller sidewalls. The truck looks best with a matte finish. I can get both out of the same can.

MSLT doesn`t sling either, like most other OTC dressings.

You`re right though - different strokes for different folks.

Bunky
11-10-2009, 11:30 AM
I cannot complain about aerosol can tire shines but just does not seem cost effective. know AA has more than Meg`s tire foam.

black bart
11-10-2009, 12:23 PM
I cannot complain about aerosol can tire shines but just does not seem cost effective. know AA has more than Meg`s tire foam.I tried a can of aerosol tire dressing but not only could I smell it I could actually see it drifting on the air.
The fact that I could smell it meant I was inhaling it.:eek:
I prefer to use a foam tire wipe and hold it very close while saturating it then apply to tire.

If I was going to apply it like some do I would wear a respirator.

Jngrbrdman
11-10-2009, 05:36 PM
I prefer THIS though any means possible:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/wheel.gif

The reason I like Eagle One Wet is because I can apply it with a foam applicator for an even coat and if I apply it to dry tires, then it doesn`t sling all over the fenders and sides of the car when I drive it. I`ve also found that it can last two or three weeks in dry Utah weather without feeling the need to reapply it. That is important for a lot of of people I detail for.

Anyway, as it has been said, different strokes for different folks. I`d try anything that gives me a nice finish and doesn`t sling and lasts for a couple weeks, so I`m not married to anything. If something comes along that I try that produces the results I like, then that will be my new product of choice.