PDA

View Full Version : Open minds, yes, but this is ridiculous.

CharlesW
11-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Some time back I posted about keeping an open mind when new products are presented, but the AT-5, Billd55 discussions are just a little over the edge.
Billd55 posts about his success with a new car care product. A sealant rather than a wax.
You can argue the benefits of sealants over waxes forever, but sealants certainly aren`t new. I doubt that AT-5 is either, but I really have no idea. It evidently must have been around for several years to have repeat customers each year.
The first time I used a sealant was probably about 20 years ago and I have used a lot of different ones over the years.
I happen to be using a sealant on my vehicles now, but I have also been happy with the waxes I have used. 10 to 20 years is not an uncommon time for me to keep a vehicle and I have yet to destroy the paint on any of them with wax or sealant.

What I find interesting is that you let him manipulate you like a fish on a line.
He posts with very little information.
You almost beg him to tell you what he uses and how he uses it.
He posts that information with a link to a vendor, (That was deleted), a link to a video, and has been able to keep AT-5 on the first page of the forum for several days and post a lot of information about the product he is in love with.
He has managed to get a lot of exposure with very little effort.
It seems like he probably accomplished just what he set out to do.

I had stopped following the thread when it became a discussion about AT-5 and I had no interest in the product, but when the threads kept showing up on the first page, I went back and read them all.
You all should do that.
Bill will get some more exposure for AT-5 and you might see what I see as very nearly a con artist playing a game with us.

Then, after reading the threads, drop it.
As long as you play his game, he will continue to string you along.
Ignore the threads, they leave the first page, Billd55 moves on.
Anyone that really wants to know more about AT-5 can still PM him, but at least some of the drama(?), comedy(?) will be off the first page of the forum.

Ronkh
11-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Great point.
Wish I had read this before I replied to him/it.

cwcad
11-07-2009, 07:23 PM
I enjoyed reading both threads. But this one was the most fun. Always with a nice way of looking at things, Charles. I knew there were a lot a reason why I like you. This thread is just solidifying my belief!

and no I did not look up this new product. I am an old curmudgeon now:lol2:

Beemerboy
11-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Charles

We are all here for detail discussions, however when someone like Bill posts up there are some like me and JP that enjoy the verbal banter. We don`t have to agree on anything in fact, that`s more of the fun is that we don`t. Take the carrying the concealed weapon thread, holy crap that thread brought out some real good debates.

The only thing and I agree that Bill has done with success is keep his name at the top of the forums with his senseless banter

JaredPointer
11-07-2009, 08:53 PM
I sort of enjoy the discussion - even though bill has no idea what a detail consists of.

Beemerboy
11-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I sort of enjoy the discussion - even though bill has no idea what a detail consists of.:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Pander5
11-07-2009, 10:38 PM
I`m with you Charles. While I read the thread with each new post I found nothing to post myself in hopes he would go away. I also do understand those who might want to exchange with him in an effort to call him out but in doing that you might be furthering billd`s agenda. I`m done.

Now back to your regularly scheduled detailing...

Beemerboy
11-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I`m with you Charles. While I read the thread with each new post I found nothing to post myself in hopes he would go away. I also do understand those who might want to exchange with him in an effort to call him out but in doing that you might be furthering billd`s agenda. I`m done.

Now back to your regularly scheduled detailing...

I think the only reason that anyone kept after him was they thought that he was spamming the site, and from his post it appeared he is

grizzlee
11-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Well said Charles, I wonder why Bill joined this forum anyway? Is he here to preach "THE END IS NEAR?"

What was he thinking when he joined "Detail City"

I think the purpose of this forum is to share ideas about products and techniques and not just a one sided view of "I am right and you are all wrong"

Bill if you disagree with the concept of Detail City maybe it`s time for you to move on???

I think a lot of the members of "DC" had an open mind when it came to "THE SEALANT" and it seems Bill has a closed mind and is open to nothing but criticisms of the various products, techniques and the many seasoned members here at "DC"

Again, if you feel this way Bill... Please move on.

JaredPointer
11-08-2009, 02:28 AM
On second thought, maybe I should have closed my piehole.

RANDAL
11-08-2009, 02:45 AM
But Jared it just wouldnt be you if you did. Remember MCW in chat a couple years ago?

Ronkh
11-08-2009, 07:42 PM
I can`t help myself.

He is just too target rich.