PDA

View Full Version : question about factory chrome wheels

parks31
11-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Hello, just purchased an 07 GMC Denali with the 20 inch factory chrome plated rims. There are some places where they are pitted and a few spots are pealing/chipped. Anybody have any ideas about how to repair or stop flaking? I was told you could use a touch up paint to seal chips from growing. Thanks in advance and I will get some pics tomorrow.

GearHead_1
11-01-2009, 06:34 PM
You know, my luck with factory chrome wheels has been far superior to virtually any after market wheel. This coming from Utah weather and more than our share of road salt. That said, if you`re seeing chrome starting to peel there isn`t much you can do to save it short of re-chroming. You can of course take all the precautions you normally would with chrome but once it starts to peel there is always a raw edge that is subject to weather and road salt. A little more will peel, bubble and flake, then there is a new raw edge. It`s almost impossible to stay ahead of it. The fact that it`s a two year old vehicle might make me wonder if there isn`t some type of factory warranty.