PDA

View Full Version : What happens to old wax?

Pages : [1] 2

CharlesW
10-24-2009, 10:16 AM
While browsing another forum I saw this question as a thread title.
While the thread really had no interest to me, it did make me wonder:

What does happen to old wax/sealant?

Does it wear away? I doubt it.

Is it washed away? Even cars that are never washed lose their wax/sealant protection over a period of time.

Does it evaporate or dissipate into the atmosphere? Maybe. Seems as logical as anything.

Does anybody really know?

Does anybody really care?

Beemerboy
10-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Charles,

You are asking a two part question, what happens to wax and sealant on a car and what happens to wax and sealant still in the container.

I`m going with your last statement.

Does anybody really care?

Troy@Protekt
10-24-2009, 02:33 PM
I would think that it breaks down and is gradually washed away during rain and car washes.

I would love to hear from a true chemist on this subject.

GearHead_1
10-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Interesting question Charles. With respect to the evaporation part of your statement. I have read where archaeologists have found earthen containers of honey, sealed with bees wax that were from the days of ancient Egypt. While I`m sure that the places where artifacts of this nature are found have very limited air flow and the temperature is constant, 2000 to 4000 thousand years is a long time for a wax plug to sit around. The preserved honey was in remarkably good condition. I`ve seen first hand bars of paraffin wax wrapped in waxed paper that have been around my mom`s house for 40 plus years that don`t look any different in all those years. I know this isn`t an apples to apples comparison, you just sparked some interesting thoughts.

JohnHenry
10-24-2009, 07:12 PM
How about you guys who own garage queens? (I have absolutely no experience in this area.) Does an application of wax have a similar life expectancy when exposed to the elements as not? The answer to this question may shed some light on what happens to wax. :inspector:

Regarding the semi-dried up leftovers in the half dozen containers in my garage, maybe I`ll heat up a home brew some day. :drool:

black bart
10-24-2009, 09:24 PM
How about you guys who own garage queens? (I have absolutely no experience in this area.) Does an application of wax have a similar life expectancy when exposed to the elements as not? The answer to this question may shed some light on what happens to wax. :inspector:

Regarding the semi-dried up leftovers in the half dozen containers in my garage, maybe I`ll heat up a home brew some day. :drool:I can`t answer Charles question but I can tell you that I put DG-105 on a vehicle and only drove it a few times in 3 years it just sit in a climate controlled garage and at the end of 3 years I applied another coat but it did not need it very bad.
Now keep in mind this was with shades over the windows and a pretty constant temp year round.

Larry A
10-25-2009, 09:48 AM
A friend of mine only put 3000 miles a year on his car . Most of the time his car was in the garage. I would clay and wax his car once a year with Collinite or Duragloss , and the wax job would last all year. His car would still be shinny, slick, and bead water before I would put the new wax on.

CharlesW
10-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Black Bart, Larry A:
Two commonalities, very durable wax/sealant and very little exposure to the sun.
Maybe the sun/heat is the culprit.
Anyone just drive at night? :D

black bart
10-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Black Bart, Larry A:
Two commonalities, very durable wax/sealant and very little exposure to the sun.
Maybe the sun/heat is the culprit.
Anyone just drive at night? :DAnyone just drive at night?

NO too many bugs at night. :D

Billd55
11-04-2009, 02:13 PM
That is a great question, and I will answer it for you.I have been a detailer
since the early 80`s down here in Naples Fl, and the temp and humity
get very high.You may have heard the term "wax build-up" on furniture,
and that is basically what happens to old wax. All waxes will melt at
90 degrees and become sticky which will attract dirt, grime, treesap,
bird droppings, bug guts, and salt etc. This leads to dulling of the
clear coat, and then buffing which wears it down. Wax does not
bond it sticks to the surface.

Sealants are different in the sense that they bond to the surface
and seal the paint which prevents the elements from damaging the
clearcoat. Also, they can take extreme temps both ways, and any
build-up can be removed without using a buffer and compound. Sealants
wear off over time.I have used an acrylic sealant since 1989, and that`s
the only product I use. I hope this helps.

Bill D.

GearHead_1
11-04-2009, 04:47 PM
...I have used an acrylic sealant since 1989, and that`s
the only product I use. I hope this helps.

Bill D.

First let me say welcome to DC.

When it comes to Acrylic Sealants, I may know some Aliens that would like to meet you, they do "liquid research". The results are Vapor-tastic. ;)

Seriously however, there are a number of Acrylic Sealants on the market. Interested to know your pet product?

JaredPointer
11-04-2009, 05:07 PM
first let me say welcome to DC.

When it comes to Acrylic Sealants, I may know some Aliens that would like to meet you, they do "liquid research". The results are Vapor-tastic. ;)

Seriously however, there are a number of Acrylic Sealants on the market. Interested to know your pet product?

I`m getting that same warm & fuzzy feeling....

Billd55
11-04-2009, 05:12 PM
To Gear Head 1

I amazed that you would make a statement like that, and being a moderator it seems you would at least back up your statement with some
facts instead of insults. I take your remarks as a insult, and someone
with a closed mind.

Bill D.

GearHead_1
11-04-2009, 05:15 PM
To Gear Head 1

I amazed that you would make a statement like that, and being a moderator it seems you would at least back up your statement with some
facts instead of insults. I take your remarks as a insult, and someone
with a closed mind.

Bill D.Why, I wasn`t promoting anything? What facts are you interested in? I`m just asking for the name of the product you`re using. I have some exposure to the product of which I jest but I didn`t even mention the product by name so no need to back it up statistically. Please don`t be insulted, I was just offering to point you towards an Acrylic product of galactic adoration. :)

I like acrylic sealants, I have several, some of my best friends use acrylic sealants. ;)

black bart
11-04-2009, 05:25 PM
I`m going a little off topic but I stopped using wax and went to sealant when I went to a car show and I got their at about 10am and it was already 80 degrees and I had to park my Black car in the sun.
I set my stuff on the ground behind the car so I started cleaning at the back.

Time I got to the hood it had been sitting in the sun for a hour and the 75 mile drive their had collected some dust.

When I tried to use a QD on the hood I rubbed the dirt into the wax and it looked awful.
Then when I tried to remove the dirt by applying a little more pressure the wax began to smear and I knew I was not going to win anything.

Well I won a special award for Best Engine but nothing for my Black car with the Brown streaks.

I switched to DG-105 and have never looked back.
Still have 2 cans of Pinnacle Souveran sitting on the shelf.