PDA

View Full Version : When is it too cold?

jmy2469
10-14-2009, 02:14 PM
I live in central NJ. The weather here has been pretty cool.Barely getting into the 50`s. I just purchased some Wolfgang products for my 2008 Mustang GT convertible. The swirl remover combo and the deep gloss paint sealant. I have no choice but to work outside,no garage. Will the cooler weather have an effect on applying and removing the products? How about the end result? This weekend does not look good here either. Its supposed to start raining tonight,right through Sunday. Thanks for the input. John

rabbi
10-14-2009, 02:27 PM
40 degrees or above and I`m good to go. Never had any problems using products at this temperature. However I would suggest doing/working smaller areas at a time. :passout:

Jngrbrdman
10-14-2009, 07:05 PM
I pretty much tell them I won`t come out if it is below 50 degrees. Below that and you can bet that it will get colder by the second on the shady side of the car or when the sun goes behind a cloud. Below that temperature I find it difficult to get polishes to break down properly or even for clay to work right. It just becomes a mess... If they can provide a warmer garage to work in then I can often get the job done when it is below 50 outside but warmer in the garage, but I pretty much close up shop by the end of October and don`t open again until April.

CharlesW
10-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Personal experience:

60+ - Everything works fine.

50 to 60 - Some products are slow to haze or flash off and can be difficult to work with.

40 to 50 - Too cold for many products and too cold for me. :) Washing is possible, but certainly not something I am likely to do.

I do have a garage and I heat it to 60+ and have at it. :D

black bart
10-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Personal experience:

60+ - Everything works fine.

50 to 60 - Some products are slow to haze or flash off and can be difficult to work with.

40 to 50 - Too cold for many products and too cold for me. :) Washing is possible, but certainly not something I am likely to do.

I do have a garage and I heat it to 60+ and have at it. :DThis is a topic that I have no experience with because like Charles I have a heated garage and never try to do anything until it has been 65 degrees for a couple hours to warm the metal.
I have wondered how cold you could use PB-S&W because sometimes I would like to wipe the car off while it is outside rather than move vehicles around so I could wash it in the garage.

Mr. Clean
10-15-2009, 12:43 AM
I`m with CharlesW and BB. Below 60 and it is too cold for me to dress comfortably enough while still being able to bend/squat to reach all of the areas. Below the mid-60s and I need some sun and prefer lower humidity.

RTexasF
10-15-2009, 12:55 PM
I LIVE for the few months out of the year here when temps stay in the 50`s, 60`s, or 70`s. Forty is as cold as it gets but not once have I had a problem with any products other than streaky glass cleaner @40ºF. At 50º and above it is shorts and T-shirt just like summer.

Poorboy
10-15-2009, 01:03 PM
today it is too cold 37* rain, sleet and snow :surrender

black bart
10-15-2009, 01:24 PM
today it is too cold 37* rain, sleet and snow :surrenderSteve stop using those 4 letter words :D

Ronkh
10-15-2009, 01:39 PM
So then this would be too cold?

Drying the car was a pain........... :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/Mobile%20Uploads/1255525084.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/Mobile%20Uploads/1255630753.jpg

Jngrbrdman
10-15-2009, 01:59 PM
^^^ I`ve done those types of details where the water turns to slush on the car before you have a chance to dry it. The ambient temperature may be above freezing, but against the metal on the shady side at 9:00 in the morning late in October high in the mountains... yeah, it can get pretty cold sometimes and not really feel like it.

lasthope05
10-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Anything below 50 and im not comfortable working outside. Polishes seem to take much longer to flash and work but then again I have a heated garage to work in. :D

Bobby@Autogeek
11-13-2009, 01:54 PM
50+ is fine to work with the Wolfgang products.

Poorboy
11-13-2009, 02:49 PM
I`ve use my products 40+ with no problems ...:bigups but i prefer summer work :cool:

Big Leegr
11-14-2009, 09:32 AM
I have wondered how cold you could use PB-S&W because sometimes I would like to wipe the car off while it is outside rather than move vehicles around so I could wash it in the garage.

As long as the metal is warm, you can use it around freezing temps. If the metal is cold, the S+W will freeze and not work. (Steve has mentioned warming S+W before to help stave off the freezing, though I haven`t tried it. I figure if I get a couple of ice blobs forming and then wipe them across the paint, I`m likely to induce marring.)

Edit: Oh, and I`ve polished/waxed cars as cold as 5º above freezing. Not pleasant, but sometimes that`s as good as it`s going to get for a few months. Being in full sun helps, though, as the heat on the metal helps the products work better than on the metal in the shade. This is one time that working "in full sun" is better than "in the shade." ;)