PDA

View Full Version : transferred paint

daxeman
03-10-2004, 08:23 AM
I recently lightly backed into a yellow painted trashcan and now i have some yellow paint smudges on my rear bumper, any ideas of how to get the yellow smudges off without damaging the silver paint/finish underneath?

JimS
03-10-2004, 08:26 AM
I think you can probably get it off with a product that has abrasives in it.....like Poorboys SSR. I`d recommend you call Steve www.poorboysworld.com

daxeman
03-10-2004, 08:40 AM
thanks jim, I live in massachusetts and there is no poorboys distributer near me. btw the car is an Infinity g35 coupe

kimwallace
03-10-2004, 08:42 AM
I will probably get beat up for this but I usually try to remove paint and other materials that don`t belong on a car finish with a solvent first. It is very difficult to abrade away the smudge without abrading the surrounding clear coat. The abrasives will work and I have used many of them with good results and sometimes that is the only way to get it off.

Poorboy
03-10-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by kimwallace
I will probably get beat up .

:beat :lmfao

actually Jim I would recommend Professional Polish which will use mostly solvents and KW just said and some polishing that will shine up the area...then re-apply a wax or sealant:D

CharlesW
03-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by daxeman
thanks jim, I live in massachusetts and there is no poorboys distributer near me. btw the car is an Infinity g35 coupe If you will leave the car with me for a few days, I will be glad to drive the heck out of it, uhhh, I mean try to remove the paint smudge. :D

Seriously, I had good luck removing a paint smudge on my daughters car with Klasse AIO.
I think any good cleaner wax would probably do it. Most of them are solvent cleaner base and shouldn`t abrade the paint much.
Meguiar`s, Mother`s, Eagle One all have off the shelf cleaner waxes that should be readily available and cheap enough that you can give it away and buy some really good stuff after you use it. Not knocking the cleaner waxes, but if you hang around here for long, you will soon be trying something different.

Charles

Beemerboy
03-10-2004, 10:25 AM
What I have found with removing paint is to dissolve the paint if its fresh on the car. I use lacquer thinner, on a rag, rub lightly and see if the paint lifts. I do this at the end of the wash so that I can wash of the residue right away.
If that does not work then I`d use the polish
Then I would use PB Pro-polish or any decent polish that will lift anything left over to start to re-protect that area.
After that reapply your AIO, sealant, wax, etc.

kimwallace
03-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Beemerboy,
I too use laquer thinner but sorta got beat up on another thread for suggesting it as a solvent.
That said ... never use laquer thinner on a laquer painted car or plastic pieces on newer cars unless they are clearcoated. Laquer thinner will dull or remove the finish from some plastic emblems and
trim around the windshield etc.
Laquer thinner will not hurt any of the newer Basecoat/Clearcoat paints that I know of ... to be sure test a small area first.

KleanFreak
03-10-2004, 07:49 PM
use polishing compund

Nickc0844
03-10-2004, 11:15 PM
I wouldn`t even go that abrasive. I have had plenty of success removing transfered paint by simply using a quality polish. Sometimes it will take multiple applications, but it`s better than risking any damage.

NEW AGAIN
03-12-2004, 08:41 AM
Clean the area first
50/50 solution alcohol and water
Apply 3M Adhesive Remover
Apply a good polish then protect