PDA

View Full Version : best power washer for under $1000 (1k)

tuscarora dave
09-23-2009, 05:26 AM
I posted this in the off topic forum because the guy (a customer) wants a good reliable power washer for lots of different uses such as washing driveways, decks, brick,tractors, and the occasional car wash. He is a guy with a lot of common sense meaning he is not likely to blow the clear coat off of his $ 40,000 truck by placing the nozzle against his cars and squeezing the trigger, so safe is not what we are looking for here. I am looking for advice or experience such as reliable pumps, good triggers, decent engines, good warrantees and the like. He does`nt mind spending lots of money for a great tool. I mentioned Alkota but any other brands that you guys have experience with, I would like to hear obout them. also what ones to stay away from would be a welcome topic, Thanks TD

RANDAL
09-23-2009, 06:33 AM
Dave Ive got a gas powered Karcher,2400 psi, with 5 interchangable tips. It uses a 5hp Honda and a Karcher pump. Runs quite a long time on full tank of gas. I dont know if its high consumer grade or low pro grade. Its at least 4 years old. It was my FILs. I barely have enough water feed pressure for it if Ive got something else running in the house taking some water pressure away. There has to be better machines out there, but this what Ive got.

tuscarora dave
09-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Dave Ive got a gas powered Karcher,2400 psi, with 5 interchangable tips. It uses a 5hp Honda and a Karcher pump. Runs quite a long time on full tank of gas. I dont know if its high consumer grade or low pro grade. Its at least 4 years old. It was my FILs. I barely have enough water feed pressure for it if Ive got something else running in the house taking some water pressure away. There has to be better machines out there, but this what Ive got.

Thanks Randal, So I assume that for 4 years this Karcher has been a pretty reliable machine.? would you buy another unit like yours assuming your water feed pressure was not an issue?

RANDAL
09-23-2009, 12:34 PM
It sat unused for 3 1/2 years and started onn 2nd pull. Yes nice machine. More power would be nice too. I dont know what this one cost new.

RTexasF
09-23-2009, 02:25 PM
In Austin I had a neighbor that painted houses. His first step was to use a bleach/water solution to clean the old paint. The pressure washer was a 3500 lb unit with a Honda 8 HP engine. It never failed to start on the first pull and do its job. He had the unit for nine years and had never even changed the oil!! Sorry I don`t know the name brand but something with a Honda engine would be a wise choice.

Tex Star Detail
09-23-2009, 06:33 PM
I`m very happy with my Dewalt one from Home Depot I purchased. Subaru motor and CAT pump.

black bart
09-24-2009, 12:16 PM
I have never owned one but have read a lot of negative comments about Karcher pumps.
Believe they are a low cost home use washer not for commercial use.
Perhaps they make a commercial model but the small ones like at Wal Mart are not for continuous work

9D4E420
09-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Alkota units will run well over a grand unless you can find a good used one. They are IMHO the best if you can afford them. In his case I would probably go for a Honda.

Tex Star Detail
09-24-2009, 08:27 PM
I have never owned one but have read a lot of negative comments about Karcher pumps.
Perhaps they make a commercial model but the small ones like at Wal Mart are not for continuous work

I think Karcher pumps are hit or miss. I had one last for 3 years, used every day. I had it serviced at regular intervals. When it went out, I bought another due to the reliability. The new one lasted 3 months, bought another and the pump wouldn`t suck water from my tank, even though it was the same as the last one. It worked with the water hose, just not gravity feed.
I vowed to stay away from Karcher now. I think the one I bought that lasted 3 years was a factory freak.:)

JSFM35X
09-25-2009, 05:56 AM

I have a commercial Karcher for several years 5-6 years. Its ands electric 1200 PSI model. THe trick is make sure your has a brass pump head NOT and Aluminum one. The heapy cheapy one`s 189.00 1000PSI will last a season or two. karcher makes some great stuff. I actually know alot about them and you can check them out at ....In the interest of full disclosure I sell their commercial line along with others and you can do you reaearch at www.sharkpressurewasher.com. Depending on where you live there is a dealer locator.

No, I am not trying to sell a pressure washer here! Only trying to help. Seems I have more expertise on the machines than the ability to correct my own car`s paint.

I guess we all contribute something different!

Good Luck.

black bart
09-25-2009, 07:17 AM
I have a commercial Karcher for several years 5-6 years. Its ands electric 1200 PSI model. THe trick is make sure your has a brass pump head NOT and Aluminum one. The heapy cheapy one`s 189.00 1000PSI will last a season or two. karcher makes some great stuff. I actually know alot about them and you can check them out at ....In the interest of full disclosure I sell their commercial line along with others and you can do you reaearch at www.sharkpressurewasher.com (http://www.sharkpressurewasher.com). Depending on where you live there is a dealer locator.

No, I am not trying to sell a pressure washer here! Only trying to help. Seems I have more expertise on the machines than the ability to correct my own car`s paint.

I guess we all contribute something different!

Good Luck.Thanks for your post I did not know Karcher made a commercial pump but assumed they did.
IMO it don`t matter much what brand name when you buy one of those real cheap pumps they are only good for home use where they are seldom used.
I have a cheap pump that I have had for 20 years and it still works but I seldom use it so they do have their place in the market but not for a pro who will use it daily.