PDA

View Full Version : This Annoying

Beemerboy
09-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Over the last two weeks on my office line, I have been getting calls from a company claiming my cars warranties is about to run out. Its not even a real person but a recording asking me to press one to be transferred to a renewal person.

Problem is I own both cars out right and either have warranties.

Yesterday I picked up and pressed the number some gal comes on, asking for my SSN number...Wrong!

I asked what`s my SSN number have to do with my cars warranties?

Then when I wouldn`t give her the info and told her I didn`t need the service she became nasty. I could others in the back ground yelling as well.

I looked them up online and tons of people are having the same issues. These people call three to five times a day, and there is no way to get off the list.

This crap should be illegal!:wall

bigron62
09-03-2009, 06:00 PM
i usually let them go on for a few then i interrup and in a naughty voice ask what she`s wearing .. followed by silence then ill proceed to suggest a chat later ... i ask for her #.. they usually hang up on me ...my wife just shakes her head when she knows i got one on the hook .. or just interrupt and say can you hang on jus a second then leave them on the phone for a while ... turn it around on em dave ...

Ronkh
09-03-2009, 06:05 PM
i usually let them go on for a few then i interrup and in a naughty voice ask what she`s wearing .. followed by silence then ill proceed to suggest a chat later ... i ask for her #.. they usually hang up on me ...my wife just shakes her head when she knows i got one on the hook .. or just interrupt and say can you hang on jus a second then leave them on the phone for a while ... turn it around on em dave ...

I normally ask similiar.

Are you wearing underwear? Some answer cuz they are so stuck in their script, some go huh, some repeat their stuff.

Then I keep going. My wife laughs too.
I`ve also asked them to hold on for a min. A while later pick up again etc...

Beemerboy
09-03-2009, 06:10 PM
I have done those things but this is my office line and I am knee deep in work so I`m not quote a sharp at that moment

Ronkh
09-03-2009, 06:21 PM
work is not the place for my kind of humor wiht telephone solicitors.

CharlesW
09-03-2009, 06:36 PM
1. Hang up as soon as you know it is a telemarketer.
2. It is illegal if you signed up for the National Do Not Call List.

Ronkh
09-03-2009, 06:49 PM
1. Hang up as soon as you know it is a telemarketer.
2. It is illegal if you signed up for the National Do Not Call List.

The bolded is only for those that actually care. Most of the ones that call are fly by nights. All my lines are on do not call list, I still get tons of em.

Stephan
09-03-2009, 06:51 PM
I have gotten calls from the same people I told them I had no idea who they were and for them to stop calling me...they did. If you do a search on either the number of their name you can read plenty of people who have had the same issues.

dave40co
09-03-2009, 06:54 PM
The bolded is only for those that actually care. Most of the ones that call are fly by nights. All my lines are on do not call list, I still get tons of em.

Same thing here, I have caller ID and know which ones are the idiots since they have called so many times. I pick up and hang up immediately.

black bart
09-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Over the last two weeks on my office line, I have been getting calls from a company claiming my cars warranties is about to run out. Its not even a real person but a recording asking me to press one to be transferred to a renewal person.

Problem is I own both cars out right and either have warranties.

Yesterday I picked up and pressed the number some gal comes on, asking for my SSN number...Wrong!

I asked what`s my SSN number have to do with my cars warranties?

Then when I wouldn`t give her the info and told her I didn`t need the service she became nasty. I could others in the back ground yelling as well.

I looked them up online and tons of people are having the same issues. These people call three to five times a day, and there is no way to get off the list.

This crap should be illegal!:wallThis crap should be illegal it is in INDIANA

CharlesW
09-03-2009, 07:42 PM
While I`m not really familiar with the Do Not Call Registry, I`m pretty sure telemarketers can be subject to some pretty hefty fines for calling people on the registry.
It would seem that having the information on caller ID would be a good start for filing charges.
That said, I also don`t know anything about caller ID either. :)

Ronkh
09-03-2009, 08:10 PM
While I`m not really familiar with the Do Not Call Registry, I`m pretty sure telemarketers can be subject to some pretty hefty fines for calling people on the registry.
It would seem that having the information on caller ID would be a good start for filing charges.
That said, I also don`t know anything about caller ID either. :)

A lot of them are using cell #`s now. So it makes me think they are pre paid ones. Maybe more $$ to start, but cheaper than gettin caught.

BPebzly
09-03-2009, 08:53 PM
I read an article about this back in May. Basically, it said that after 140,000 complaints to the BBB and the fact that a New York Senator found himself on the receiving end of some of these calls, the Feds have finally decided to look into it. They are trying to get the Federal Trade Commissions to get involved, I guess apparently they can weild some power in regards to the DNC list. I`m not 100% on DC`s policy on posting links to other sites, but if anyones interested, lemme know if it`s ok to do so, or PM me.

occupant
09-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Many of these car warranty BS numbers are stolen. Let me give you a scenario. Bob moves out of/gets evicted from/dies in his apartment. Bob`s phone gets disconnected. Bob`s phone number gets bought by the telemarketing scammers and now their outgoing calls show as his number and there you go.

Tex Star Detail
09-07-2009, 09:43 PM
I told them that I had a 1923 Model T. Then proceeded to act surprised that I still had a warranty on the car. Tell them I need a new power window switch and if its covered under their warranty, which they tell me "yes".