PDA

View Full Version : Glaze vs wax vs sealant ?

astglenn
08-24-2009, 09:26 AM
If you folks wouldnt mind, could you please fill me in on the difference between the product classifications?

In my mind Im thinking that a glaze does not act as a vapor barrier, thus allowing the paint to breathe through it, where a wax will not. Then a sealer must be a final closer of whatever remains open in the matrix?

It seems that there weill be a process of steps or "coats" if you will to a properly polished and sealed surface.

This is speculation on my part. I desire to learn the practical information from the folks that utilize the materials on a regular basis.

I appreciate the insight !!

Glenn

Ronkh
08-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Most glazes do not create a barrier, but the ones laden with oils might. Glazes typically bring out more depth, wetness, color brightness and some fill in minor scratches and swirls.

Sealant does exactly what it says, it seal the paint by bonding to it.

Waxes will create a vapor barrier due to the wax and oils.

My process is

glaze
seal
cure
seal
cure
wax -> wax ->

I love the look of wax over sealant, some dont and will use a sealant by itself. Some will just use wax and no sealant.

astglenn
08-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Are there variences in the finish look that one can manuipulate in other words? It sounds like a talented finishing thechnician could possibly tweak the end result by how he stacked the products. Is this done to enhance certain aspects of a particular finish and hide others?

I have already seen a difference between what I guess you could call a "dry" shine and a "wet" shine.

Ronkh
08-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Are there variences in the finish look that one can manuipulate in other words? It sounds like a talented finishing thechnician could possibly tweak the end result by how he stacked the products. Is this done to enhance certain aspects of a particular finish and hide others?

I have already seen a difference between what I guess you could call a "dry" shine and a "wet" shine.

Simple answer yes.

But I`m gonna leave it to others to tell you since there are tons of better detailers here who can shed better light.

Tex Star Detail
08-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Most glazes do not create a barrier, but the ones laden with oils might. Glazes typically bring out more depth, wetness, color brightness and some fill in minor scratches and swirls.

Sealant does exactly what it says, it seal the paint by bonding to it.

Waxes will create a vapor barrier due to the wax and oils.

I love the look of wax over sealant, some dont and will use a sealant by itself. Some will just use wax and no sealant.

I agree 100% with this post.:bigups