PDA

View Full Version : Why are some product makers not at SEMA (ie: PB)

Tarios
08-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Today I went to a distribuotr of car products, looking for Meg`s products. Here in Montreal, it is very hard to find good pro line stuff anywhere local..I called a Car Buff company and they referred me to this distributor.
I picked up my Megs 205 and then asked him if he has ever heard of Poor Boys, Zaino, Wolfgang, etc. He said he had never heard of them..and he attends every SEMA show, and he said to me that if these companies were THAT good..why are they NOT at SEMA? Everyone that is `GOOD" usually is there.
I mentioned the Pinnacle line, and this company he said did sound familiar...

Now I am a fan and great user of the PB line..
I use their stuff more than any other. I also use Zaino quite often on my 5.0. And the results are sick..so I explained that to him..

He said that a lot of these companies are an on-line store only and their products are sometimes made by other (perhaps well known companies) and labelled for another distributor label. He showed me an example of a no-name compnay in his inventory..forgot what they were called.

Now I don`t know..maybe he missed PB and Zaino at the SEMA show..but he has been in the business for many years and said he never came across any retailer or distributor in any event with these names.

He also said 3M bought out Meguires - last year I think he said. He never had problems with stock..but since 3M took over, he is having a hard time loading products on his shelf...maybe 3M is doing that on purpose for business sakes...who knows?

I think I read that if Zaino was a retail product the cost would be TOO HIGH and it would cost a fortune to buy it...would that be the same thing with PB?
Is that why the Megs line is so expensive as opposed to PB?

GearHead_1
08-11-2009, 09:45 PM
I`m guessing that floor space at SEMA is astronomical. I would think most of the smaller boutique brands couldn`t justify this trade show. I worked for a couple of software companies that would display at Comdex (computer version of SEMA). The floor space would cost 50K and way beyond (depending upon placement) for a 20` X 40` space for the week. You would have to sell a lot of wax to justify this.

Poorboy
08-11-2009, 09:57 PM
FYI we are represented by Autogeek at SEMA and have been for years .look at the SEMA threads here at DC and on AG`s site and you will see they represent quite a few companies.. Not everyone is a member of SEMA , but we will be going this year, but not to set up a space, but to help support our largest distributor, Autogeek ... Setting up at SEMA takes quite a bit of man power to stand there all day and no be back in your office running your own day to day operations ...HEck I`m on vacation now and i`m still working quite a few hours a day ...:passout:Thanks for your support and tell him to check out the Autogeek booth it`s quite impressive ;)

Beemerboy
08-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Coming from a guy that did electronic trade shows for years. Trade shows are way expensive for anyone that is attending. The return has to justify the cost.

Tarios
08-12-2009, 12:17 AM
FYI we are represented by Autogeek at SEMA and have been for years .look at the SEMA threads here at DC and on AG`s site and you will see they represent quite a few companies.. Not everyone is a member of SEMA , but we will be going this year, but not to set up a space, but to help support our largest distributor, Autogeek ... Setting up at SEMA takes quite a bit of man power to stand there all day and no be back in your office running your own day to day operations ...HEck I`m on vacation now and i`m still working quite a few hours a day ...:passout:Thanks for your support and tell him to check out the Autogeek booth it`s quite impressive ;)

My support you have and its been a while you have it..I love your line up and product has never failed me.

Oh I know they are expensive and I know what it takes..I already emailed him this forum and a whole bunch of links..
I believe he is the one that is at the losing end for not knowing the best kept secrets in this field..by just being stuck on big name brand stuff and so forth...

I just did my Xterra last week...with PwC and my friend asked if I just painted the 2002 gas guzzler..

My second carrer business is photography and I don
t do the wedding shows either..just to expensive..So I know what that means..
But thank you for explaining the Autogeek rep. thing..Good to know..

Like I said I already emailed him this site and your own site as well...

Jngrbrdman
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
I hung out with Dwayne and Jason at the Autogeek SEMA booth all week last year and I`m going to do it again this year. :) That is the most fun I have all year! There are worse ways to spend a week of vacation than talking detailing with people and hanging out with guys like the Autogeek crew. Dwayne said we need to make this an annual thing, so my bags are packed and I`m counting down the days. This year Dwayne says the Autogeek space is ginormous! I thought it was huge last year, but this year it is going to be even bigger! The great thing about the Autogeek booth is that it seems to be the place that all of the other distributors seem to hang out. The Chemical Guys dudes are always there, the Grit Guard guys pull up a chair, we even had Griot`s Garage owner Richard Griot stopping by to shake hands with Max. Then there are other detailing suppliers who either carry Autogeek products or want Autogeek to carry theirs who are constantly stopping buy. It absolutely the most fun booth to be at in the entire convention center. :)