PDA

View Full Version : Detailing The Point of Return?

Beemerboy
08-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Often while detailing I wonder at one point is the car really perfect enough or is there more that I could do, to correct it.

If I look at paint as the example, my 96 Camry looks as good as any new car on the road. The paint at 5 feet is really clean and in natural light very swirl free, for a dark color.

However under the halogens and florescent that I have in the garage its not, trust me I understand why.

But there are times while working on the car that I think, what if I wet sanded the panels to get that last little bit of marring out, or get the wool cutting pad and rotary out, would that make the overall difference on the end result? It would but is that necessary?

I know the risks associated with wet sanding a 13 year old car, but that`s not my question here.

While talking to a new customer last night, he asked about a 100% swirl free finish on his 08 BMW. I explained to him that its possible. However why?

Within a few car washes you would be well on your way back to swirls in most cases.

So my question to all of you is, what`s the point of return in detailing? Where do you stop at?

To me a good detailer understands the limits of what you are working on, my experience tells me when I have reached that level. Could I push beyond that and really make it perfect, maybe? would it make the over all difference, probably not to the customer or me for that matter.

roadmaster_tx
08-05-2009, 12:21 PM
I would not wetsand a car that as factory paint, the clear coat is going to be very thin. I would try to use the PC if you have one and use a mild polish, something along the lines of Zpc, or Optimum Polish for example.
You always want to start with the least aggressive combo.
But to answer your question, there is a point where you have to stop caring. If your car is a daily driver, you will probably have to polish it out at least every six months, depending on the type of paint you have.
I have a single stage black paint on my Lexus and that paint is soft as butter, minor swirls are a reality . I believe that only with a show car, can you achieve and maintain true perfection.