PDA

View Full Version : So I`ve got the rotary......

ewemule
07-22-2009, 08:44 PM
But, I`m thinking that a dual action or random orbit may be better for me as a beginner. What do you think ? What`s the difference between DA and RO ?
Thanks,
Marty

tuscarora dave
07-23-2009, 05:06 AM
I think you are correct in that a random orbit would be better as a beginer. The rotary that you found in your power tool inventory is a 0 to 1750 rpm unit, but if I could make a suggestion I would say to maybe get a body panel of sorts from a salvage yard to practice with your rotary before placing it onto the paint of an actual car whose owner would be offended by having his or her paint damaged. Unless of course you have an old beater car to practice on where some damaged edges or deeply cut or burned paint just would`nt matter. IMO the beater car would be a better test subject as you could get a real feel for the rotary. Furthermore, it is possible to cut too deep into a cars paint with a random orbit if you use too course of a pad and polish combo and work one area too long. Just read up here and keep posting your questions and have some respect for the machine that you do choose to try and all should work out just fine. Remember that experience takes some time and sometimes we learn from mistakes so just go slow. As for the difference between the RO and DA, as far as I know there is no difference. Just that sanders are usually reffered to as DA and polishers are more commonly reffered to as random orbit.

ewemule
07-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Thank you sir. That`s some good advice. We do have a `92 Town Car that`s off the road and in fair condition.
I think I`ll shop around for a polisher and buy a couple pads for the rotary.
Marty

JaredPointer
07-23-2009, 08:18 AM
I think the slight difference in DA versus RO would be this - a random orbit does just that; it randomly jiggles. A true DA has two actions - a random jiggle/orbit and a forced circular rotation. So not only is the pad "jiggling" it`s also being spun round on an axis. Hence the term dual action. The RO does not usually have the forced rotation.

ewemule
07-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Okay. What does anyone think about the Cyclo Polisher ?
Looks like a good idea. More hype than anything ? Not as convenient or as easy to use as a RO/DA ?
Marty

JaredPointer
07-23-2009, 09:13 AM
I had a Cyclo at one time, and while I think it is a great durable machine I`d have to say if I am spending that kind of money I`d get a Flex XC3401. The comparison is not even close. The Flex is the DA machine to have.

ewemule
07-23-2009, 10:45 AM
They aren`t giving those away are they ! The Porter Cable appears to have only the random orbit feature without the "forced rotation". I`ll have to look around some more and see if I can afford it. I`ve seen a lot of talk about the Flex here.
Would the Flex be a little more aggresive than a standard random orbit ? Or does that rest on the users ability ?
Marty

Redwings97
07-23-2009, 11:12 AM
They aren`t giving those away are they ! The Porter Cable appears to have only the random orbit feature without the "forced rotation". I`ll have to look around some more and see if I can afford it. I`ve seen a lot of talk about the Flex here.
Would the Flex be a little more aggresive than a standard random orbit ? Or does that rest on the users ability ?
Marty

Save your money and buy a Flex. Hands down the better machine of DA`s.

JaredPointer
07-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Would the Flex be a little more aggresive than a standard random orbit ?
Marty

Absolutely. I know they are a little more costly - call or Email Troy (owner of Detail City) and see what he can do for you as far as kitting goes (pads, etc).

ewemule
07-23-2009, 11:18 AM
I`m putting some $$ aside towards a Flex. May be a couple weeks but I am confident in the advice given here. Maybe I`ll get a velcro backer plate and some polishing pads for the Dewalt so I can practice with that on our old Town Car. Lake Country ?
Thanks,
Marty

Redwings97
07-23-2009, 12:16 PM
I`m putting some $$ aside towards a Flex. May be a couple weeks but I am confident in the advice given here. Maybe I`ll get a velcro backer plate and some polishing pads for the Dewalt so I can practice with that on our old Town Car. Lake Country ?
Thanks,
Marty

Everyone is going to have varying opinions on which pads they prefer. I use CCS by LC, others use 4* and the edge system.