PDA

View Full Version : 13 Hours, 35 Gallons, 40 Feet, 1 Bird Attack

EcoAutoCT
07-18-2009, 11:04 AM
They said `Treat it like a car, get every nook and cranny`- so I did. Usually a job like this takes me 7-8 hours and anyone who does RV services will agree that we use a broad stroke method rather than a detail brush method. Meaning that if it`s cleaner than when you started and you take care of the `big stuff` most customers are thrilled, but the owners of this Teton 40` wanted me to really take my time.

Everything 2` down from the roof got ONR after using the pressure washer to clean the seams and roof. 35 gallons is alot for me to do an RV, usually I use roughly 18-25; that`s a good way to gauge how dirty it was.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f290/cashonly/Untitled-1-1.jpg

Removed the A/C and Sat covers to get around the bases better.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f290/cashonly/Untitled-2.jpg

Frankensoap on the roof, car wash mixed with APC and usually using a long handled boars hair brush. But this one I got in there with a short handled soft bristle wheel brush around the raised components.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f290/cashonly/Untitled-6.jpg

You can usually hit these vinyl canopies with an APC and pressure wash them clean, this time I had to hand scrub them to get decent results. The white spot is discolored due to the puddling- should even out in tone once the UV hits it again.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f290/cashonly/Untitled-4.jpg

Best hand job in the state. Most trailers get `detailed` by a pressure washing company with spray on/spray off cleaners. This is hand applied Collinite Insulator, used about 3/8 of a bottle and 8-10 microfibers to remove it. Square footage like this will clog a towel up quickly.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f290/cashonly/Untitled-3.jpg

All the brightwork- ladder, rub strips, cubbie latches, roof rails, etc- got polished with a Lake Country wool polish ball.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f290/cashonly/Untitled-5.jpg

And there was a large tree overhead of the RV that I had to duck under and around. While kneeling it was less than a foot above me and a bird decided to swoop in and flutter his wings so close that I dam near fell off in sheer surprise and fear of losing an eyeball or earlobe. :rofl

There were alot of mobile homes in this park, had a few people stop for pricing inquiries. Found out my price is almost double what a power washing company would- guess the difference between us is in the details.

Troy@Protekt
07-18-2009, 11:46 AM
The title of this thread led me to believe this should have been in the funny detailing stories section. I guess a bird startling you enough to fall off of an RV wouldn`t have been too funny anyway.

Looks like you had some fun. Your service is completely different than what a pressure washing company does. You should not let the customers try and compare you to them. You are doing more detailed work and offering a much better finished job that will last. Nothing a pressure washing company is going to spray on the RV is going to compare.;)

EcoAutoCT
07-18-2009, 12:53 PM
The title of this thread led me to believe this should have been in the funny detailing stories section. I guess a bird startling you enough to fall off of an RV wouldn`t have been too funny anyway.

I had to laugh at myself because I jumped up so quick and erratic. If anyone saw me do that, they obviously think I`m bonkers. Put a smile on my face afterward.

Looks like you had some fun. Your service is completely different than what a pressure washing company does. You should not let the customers try and compare you to them. You are doing more detailed work and offering a much better finished job that will last. Nothing a pressure washing company is going to spray on the RV is going to compare.;)

Big +1. Completely different and I explained that to them as well. But I`m sure that everyone who was been in a park/campground has noticed that many of the tenants are elderly and on fixed income in 70s era homes. I`ll leave the low priced and high liability jobs to the people with 100s of gallons of water and time to spare.

Gus-Gus
07-18-2009, 01:01 PM
GOOD JOB...thats alot of work.. maybe when they see the rv blinging in the sun.. the price difference wont matter

sal329
07-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Awesome job, I have cleaned up a few 45 foot RV`s when I was in Charlotte. Once again great work

tmacsad
07-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Nice Job!

Ronkh
07-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Great job !

I don`t think I could do that in 3 days.

GlossyTundra
07-19-2009, 12:59 PM
That is pretty impressive!

EcoAutoCT
07-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks for all the compliments. It was alot of work, but with a strong wax/sealant and the fact that an RV is all vertical surface that rarely gets washed a customer can expect at least 6 months of protection. Most owners opt for early Spring or late Fall service, and there are few biannual customers.

Awesome job, I have cleaned up a few 45 foot RV`s when I was in Charlotte. Once again great work

I didn`t notice you had just put a thread up last month about a 45`er. Nice work on that, alot of these owners really dig the ONR process because they don`t have access to water for washing on their own.

I`ve got a beat up 26` on Tues, over the phone it sounds like it needs the rotary. Doing a test panel with just wax, and one with compound. I really hate polishing old gelcoat; so even it sounds unethical, I bid high and hope that the cost is too much to be worth it.

JohnHenry
07-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Wow! As an RV owner, I am truly impressed.

I use Collinite also after years of trial and error. Is that a rubber roof or fiberglass? Nice job either way, but rubber gets some really nasty stains. Those awnings are tough too.

EcoAutoCT
07-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Wow! As an RV owner, I am truly impressed.

I use Collinite also after years of trial and error. Is that a rubber roof or fiberglass? Nice job either way, but rubber gets some really nasty stains. Those awnings are tough too.

Rubber roof, owner had some two part primer/sealer to apply after I was done. I`m going by in a month or so to check it`s condition as I`ve been considering offering that kind of service as well. The only caveat to that being that there is a local RV body tech that refers alot of customers to me and if he already does it I don`t want to step on his toes. So to those that want to detail professionally- the key to never having to cold call is NETWORKING preceded only by word of mouth.

RV owners are undoubtedly the most friendly and tight knit group amongst all enthusiasts. Moreso than any Civic/M3/Supra/Ferrari/WTF owners group I`ve ever had the pleasure of meeting.