PDA

View Full Version : New Products - Open Minds

Pages : [1] 2 3

CharlesW
07-17-2009, 01:24 PM
New products are not a bad thing even if we aren`t familiar with them or don`t understand them.
Automatically reacting on a negative manner to any post that seems to be about something other than what we know about isn`t the way to learn about new things.

I`m not talking about the shills and the blatant promotion of products, but the putting forth of an idea, product or process that has caused someone some interest.

Many of the products I use today were unheard of just a few years back and were not readily accepted. Some of those products have become favorites of mine.
Examples:
Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe waterless wash
DP, Optimum or Protect-All rinseless washes
Optimum Opti-Seal (The only WOWA sealant I have used)
I`m sure plenty more could be named, but that`s not what I`m getting at.
We seem to be real quick to poke fun at any new ideas that are brought up.
Some deserve it, some may not. If we discourage any posting of products other than those we are familiar with, we will lose out on a lot of information and may very likely drive away what might prove to be valuable members.
Maybe we should listen and discuss some of those products before we start making fun of the poster.
If they truly are a shill or spammer, the mods usually handle it in due time. If you question the intent of a post, report it. Let the mods know.
FWIW, I realize I have been guilty of some of this as well, but that still doesn`t make it right.
Detail City is supposed to be the friendly forum. Let`s keep it that way. :)

Beemerboy
07-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Charles

I concur on the introduction of new products, but I really don`t see anyone bagging on anyone that is posting something new. The only time that I`ve seen this is when they are brand new and posting links.

Now that said we can have an opinion of them even if we have not tried them. That sponge with the soap added was one...I didn`t post on the thread but it looks hookie to me..but to some it would be a great fit...that`s what makes the world go round...that`s not saying that I can`t post something on the thread about it...again my opinion

Ronkh
07-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Charles,

Of course you are right.
But in defense of myself, both of thes guys had links to their sites.
One or both ahd blanketed the detiling boards.

So yes you are right, but IMHO (and since I am prolly the most guilty this time) but in our defense they were touting stuff.

JaredPointer
07-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Don`t fix what ain`t broke... :)

CharlesW
07-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Don`t fix what ain`t broke... :)If I had followed that recommendation, I would have missed out on a lot of good products.
I would still be cleaning tires with Bleche-White, Washing with Zip Wax and waxing with Rain Dance. :)

JaredPointer
07-18-2009, 07:02 PM
If I had followed that recommendation, I would have missed out on a lot of good products.
I would still be cleaning tires with Bleche-White, Washing with Zip Wax and waxing with Rain Dance. :)

Should I not be using those things??????? :inspector:

Troy@Protekt
07-18-2009, 07:13 PM
I`m assuming this is in response to our treatment of Tuckermatic recently.

Normally I try to keep a degree of professionalism and I also try to keep people from getting the treatment he received whether they deserve it or not. I will say he did ask for it and drew first blood.

Maybe I thought the forum needed an entertaining drama. You guys say we don`t want it to be another Autopia but if I squash something like this every time it starts to get entertaining we run the risk of becoming a boring forum.

Maybe I wanted this guy to catch it because he was not only bashing us for our methods but he also was blatantly promoting a product and avoided the question as to whether he stood to gain from it. I`m sure I could have handled the situation better so to those of you who are disappointed in my actions regarding Tuckermatic I apologize.

Not sure I would do it differently if I had the chance though.:redface:

CharlesW
07-18-2009, 07:44 PM
I`m assuming this is in response to our treatment of Tuckermatic recently.Nope.
Read the highlighted area of my original post.

I`m not talking about the shills and the blatant promotion of products, but the putting forth of an idea, product or process that has caused someone some interest.
I felt and still feel that Tuckermatic was a shill.

Bobcat
07-18-2009, 08:44 PM
I agree with the nothing worse than a boring forum. Oy vey! and Autopia is not "boring" maybe a little high-headed, and likes to think it`s the red on your candy cane but it`s not nearly as good as it once was. It seems a few people that I use to like have either left or got the ban - too bad.

DC is pretty good, I like it and as long as old Deanski posts regularly - you can be sure I`ll be around.

Now - that new product thing. It`s hard to tell the shill from the dude that just discovered (fill in the blank) and thinks it`s better than sex in the morning. I read a long tale of thrash talking all because some guy likes Turtle Wax products, hey folks it`s wax not politics or religion - put in in perspective ok, as Sgt Hulka said,"lighten up Francis"

G.T.Subie
07-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Change scares me.

CharlesW
07-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Change scares me.Yet you are asking about and planning on using products that are not only new to you, they didn`t even exist a few years ago. :)
Things will always be changing. Hopefully for the better. :bigups

Bunky
07-19-2009, 07:39 AM
I do not think some OTC brands (Turtle Wax, Black Magic) and for some even Mothers or Meguiars will ever get a fair evaluation from an open mind.

CharlesW
07-19-2009, 08:19 AM
I do not think some OTC brands (Turtle Wax, Black Magic) and for some even Mothers or Meguiars will ever get a fair evaluation from an open mind.I think that is quite true. Meguiar`s products kept my vehicles looking pretty good for a lot of years. They still could, but some of the things that were a nuisance with Meguiar`s don`t happen with the products I now use.
Staining of trim was probably my biggest issue.

What ever happened to the 90% process, 10% product thinking.
I would bet that several detailers here could use only OTC products and do a great job. Good enough that very few of us would know if it was OTC or boutique. (Don`t think I have ever used the word "boutique" before! :D)

Mr. Clean
07-19-2009, 10:50 AM
I think that is quite true. Meguiar`s products kept my vehicles looking pretty good for a lot of years. They still could, but some of the things that were a nuisance with Meguiar`s don`t happen with the products I now use.
Staining of trim was probably my biggest issue.

I would bet that several detailers here could use only OTC products and do a great job. Good enough that very few of us would know if it was OTC or boutique. (Don`t think I have ever used the word "boutique" before! :D)
CharlesW, with the influx of new members to the board, it is probably worth bringing up again. Some new folks seem to get a bit overly concerned about product labels/brands.

As a matter of fact that very thing happened recently (memory don`t fail me now) here on our board from one of long time members.

Troy happens to be a resource for some of those OTC products that are not OTC for everyone.

JaredPointer
07-19-2009, 01:08 PM

I firmly believe that about process versus product, and I`d be up for the challenge of using OTC versus boutique and seeing who could really tell a difference. I would venture to say that just looking at photos on the forum, no one would be bale tell. I`d go so far as to say if it was done right, no one could tell just by looking in person either.