PDA

View Full Version : Power????

MagicCity33
07-17-2009, 12:30 AM
For you mobile detailers out there or anyone with this knowledge, how much power do you actually need to power your equipment?

Example, carpet extractor, steam cleaner, ozone generator, wet dry vac, PC, Rotary, Lights, etc.

What would you say would be the recommend smallest generator or wattage needed to start as a mobile detailer?

tuscarora dave
07-17-2009, 04:45 AM
I personnaly would check the equipment`s amp draw rating and combine the total of what I would be using at any given time and then choose a generator that will produce enough current to handle the total load. In other words , if I had 2 helpers and intended on running two polishers, a set of halogens and a carpet extractor all at the same time, then I would likely choose a 4000 watt generator. On the other hand if I was working all by myself and only running one piece of equipment and a set of halogens, I personally look into maybe 1000 watts, but I would still do the math concerning the total load handling capability of the unit before I made the purchase. Hope this helps..TD

EcoAutoCT
07-18-2009, 12:49 PM
+1

Calculate the amps you intend on using simultaneously and purchase a generator rated at that output, not with a peak output equal to your usage. Play it safe and your equipment will last longer. You also have to remember that some tools like commercial electric pressure washers use an induction style motor that can require almost 2x their rated amperage on startup.

Personally I use a Kipor 2000 rated at 13 amps and it powers anything I throw at it. But my situation was kind of unique having to do work in enclosed/underground garages where the sound will echo fiercely. A camping style inverter/generator like the Kipor, Honda EU, etc. was an easy but more costyl decision.

MagicCity33
07-21-2009, 02:10 PM
I personnaly would check the equipment`s amp draw rating and combine the total of what I would be using at any given time and then choose a generator that will produce enough current to handle the total load. In other words , if I had 2 helpers and intended on running two polishers, a set of halogens and a carpet extractor all at the same time, then I would likely choose a 4000 watt generator. On the other hand if I was working all by myself and only running one piece of equipment and a set of halogens, I personally look into maybe 1000 watts, but I would still do the math concerning the total load handling capability of the unit before I made the purchase. Hope this helps..TD

Thanks for sharing this I`ve been looking at some generators at harbor freight tools and was not sure if I should get a large 3,300 peak or the 2,800 peak. I`m going to go back and check the amps it generates. :thanks

MagicCity33
07-21-2009, 02:12 PM
+1

Calculate the amps you intend on using simultaneously and purchase a generator rated at that output, not with a peak output equal to your usage. Play it safe and your equipment will last longer. You also have to remember that some tools like commercial electric pressure washers use an induction style motor that can require almost 2x their rated amperage on startup.

Personally I use a Kipor 2000 rated at 13 amps and it powers anything I throw at it. But my situation was kind of unique having to do work in enclosed/underground garages where the sound will echo fiercely. A camping style inverter/generator like the Kipor, Honda EU, etc. was an easy but more costyl decision.

I guess I never thought about or considered noise level. I need to take this into consideration as well since a number of my jobs have started around 5 AM on the weekends. I have a trailer but with the doors open this means nothing.

:thanks

EcoAutoCT
07-21-2009, 03:44 PM
I use a cargo van and generally try to point the open doors away from noise sensitive areas. You`d be surprised the difference in decibel level from the side of my van with the pressure washer running, and the rear where the exhaust faces. It goes from an estimated under 60db to easily 80+ db, that`s a dramatic change to the human ear.

The db level of the inverter generators similar to what I use are equal to or less than that of a shop vac.

MagicCity33
07-21-2009, 03:59 PM
I use a cargo van and generally try to point the open doors away from noise sensitive areas. You`d be surprised the difference in decibel level from the side of my van with the pressure washer running, and the rear where the exhaust faces. It goes from an estimated under 60db to easily 80+ db, that`s a dramatic change to the human ear.

The db level of the inverter generators similar to what I use are equal to or less than that of a shop vac.

I`ve been thinking about drilling holes in the floor and running some pipe for exhaust and water. Then I can just keep the doors closed.