PDA

View Full Version : ahhhhh

Ronkh
07-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Got a call from American Express. Someone made some fraudulent charges on my account. They killed the card.

They told me to look over my statement to see if there are anyother charges that I didn`t make. There are so many companies that use a different processing name it`s tough to figure out.

9D4E420
07-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Damn that really sucks. I hope you get all the charges cleared up.

Ronkh
07-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Damn that really sucks. I hope you get all the charges cleared up.

The one charge I got cleared up. But it`s hard to figure out some as I said. Also how far back do I have to go?????????

Beemerboy
07-13-2009, 11:00 AM
That bites Ron, and nice new avatar

CARTfan
07-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Sorry to hear that. It`s definitely a wakeup call to look over your statements more closely every month.

Had this happen to me too. I called about the charge, and Chase was adamant that the card was actually present for the purchase I guess they can tell if it`s swiped or not), but I was certain I had never been to New Jersey, let alone spent $230 in a pizza joint in Jersey.

I would say, if you can`t identify it, tell them it`s not yours. The worst they could do is jog your memory and you`re no worse for wear.

Good luck.

Big Leegr
07-13-2009, 03:07 PM
You should be able to get a list of which charges were made "in person" vs. online/over the phone. The "in person" charges will have to have a signed receipt that you can ask to see a copy of, if you can`t remember the company, and then match the signatures. The online/phone charges are more difficult to track, but I`m sure the CC company would be willing to give you contact #`s to call, as any charges that you agree are legit are costs AE doesn`t have to swallow. Good luck!

(As an aside, I`ve heard of a new thing called a virtual credit card. Apparently your CC company will give you a random number to enter as your CC # online that will reference back to your actual # for that transaction. This way if someone steals the #, they can`t make use of the #, as it`s not your real one and the CC company would know right off the bat. Something to think about especially when dealing with a company you aren`t familiar with.)

Big Leegr
07-13-2009, 03:11 PM
The one charge I got cleared up. But it`s hard to figure out some as I said. Also how far back do I have to go?????????

Sadly, I think you can go back only 1 bill, as, since you have paid off the previous bill (or at least made a payment on it without challenging any of the charges) the CC company will take it that you have accepted the charges as legit. There is often small print that says any discrepancies are to be reported within 30 days or so.
For your own peace of mind, you should look back a couple bills "just for to see."

Ronkh
07-13-2009, 03:34 PM
For your own peace of mind, you should look back a couple bills "just for to see."

I will.