PDA

View Full Version : This may crimp some people`s style

Pages : [1] 2

Ronkh
07-11-2009, 05:58 PM
This might hurt us hobbiests and weekend hacks.
The only one i know that it wont bother is ECO. It might actually enhance his business. There is alos one poster that I saw that uses a run off guard.

Car washers seeing more rules on soapy runoff
By PHUONG LE, Associated Press Writer Phuong Le, Associated Press Writer
Fri Jul 10, 2:08 pm ET

SEATTLE – It`s one of the great American summer pastimes: Pulling the car onto the driveway on a sun-drenched Saturday afternoon, lathering it up with soap, rinsing it off and watching the sudsy water flow toward the storm drain.

Now, officials in Washington and elsewhere are telling residents to either take that old ride to the car wash, or hold the soap and wash the car over gravel or grass to filter the dirty water.

The officials are trying to prevent the runoff, with all of its soap, grim and metals from the car, from reaching rivers and streams and harming the fish and other aquatic life in them.

"The soaps are just as toxic as some of the chemicals we regulate in the industrial (sector). They kill fish," said Sandy Howard, a Washington Department of Ecology spokeswoman.

The state, however, isn`t banning car washing. Instead, it is requiring cities to adopt ordinances that prohibit anything other than clean stormwater from entering drains as part of a broader stormwater permit it issues.

While there are no federal regulations dealing specifically with residential car washing and stormwater pollution, local governments may prohibit car wash water if it`s a significant part of the stormwater problem.

The Environmental Protection Agency, along with numerous cities and states, are however urging residents to keep soapy wash water out of storm drains and have launched public education campaigns for more fish-friendly car washing.

Some eco-friendly West Coast cities, such as Santa Monica, Calif., have taken it a step further, fining residents $500 if runoff leaves their property. A few fines have been issued.

The town of Fairfax, north of San Francisco, briefly considered banning residential car washing but many residents batted down the idea.

"While we were at it, we decided not to kill Mom and apple pie," said David Weinsoff, Fairfax`s mayor. "There are certain things in our community we assume that we can do. People wash their cars. They have hot dogs on July 4th."

The city of Vancouver, north of Portland, Ore., is rewriting its ordinance to omit car wash water as an allowable stormwater discharge to comply with state rules. But the city won`t be issuing tickets, public works director Brian Carlson said.

"We`ve got better things to be doing," he said.

In Washington, state and local officials say they`re not going to bust scofflaws either.

"Are we going to have car wash police out there? No," said Doug Navetski, with the water quality division of King County, which includes Seattle. "We`ll do public education."

As part of their campaign, officials suggest that residents can wash their cars on gravel or grass to filter the suds, grime and metals. Better yet, they say, take it to a commercial car wash, which treats runoff.

Even washing a car without soap or with biodegradable soap is a no-no if the water runs off into storm drains, because it still picks up oil, grease and metals from the vehicle`s brake pads.

Stormwater is the one of the biggest threat to rivers and streams in urban areas, state officials say. When it rains, tiny sources of pollution — drops of oil or antifreeze, copper shavings from car brakes and pet waste — gets swept up and washed into the rivers and streams.

Soaps in particular dissolve the protective mucous layer on fish and natural oils in the gills, making fish more susceptible to diseases.

"Individual actions are not only part of the problem but really the biggest problem," said Chris Wilke, pollution prevention director with Puget Soundkeeper Alliance.

Shane Coakley, who owns a real estate investment firm in Federal Way, washes his truck in his driveway but takes his Bentley convertible to a commercial car wash twice a week. He said he`d reconsider washing both vehicles at a car wash if it means keeping local waters clean.

"If everybody does their little part, it adds up," he said.

PA DETAILER
07-11-2009, 06:08 PM
oh god. it is going to get to the point that everything is going to be banned. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING.
next is going to be your shampoo and bodywash along with your dishwasher and laundry soap.

Ronkh
07-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Shane Coakley, who owns a real estate investment firm in Federal Way, washes his truck in his driveway but takes his Bentley convertible to a commercial car wash twice a week. He said he`d reconsider washing both vehicles at a car wash if it means keeping local waters clean.

"If everybody does their little part, it adds up," he said.

I love this part. Guy has to be a YUTZ.

Ronkh
07-11-2009, 06:29 PM
oh god. it is going to get to the point that everything is going to be banned. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING.
next is going to be your shampoo and bodywash along with your dishwasher and laundry soap.

A while back, California tried to or did (think tried) ban charcoal BBQ`s. We might have been able to get a deal on some newer Webbers.

EcoAutoCT
07-11-2009, 08:21 PM
First let me preface this by saying that although I base much of my business around being environmentally responsible- I`m no tree hugger. You`ll catch me burning tires to fuel my rocket pack before I buy a Pious Prius. So while I profit from being eco-friendly, even I think things are getting out of hand.

Secondly, it`s not going to be that difficult to become compliant if these ideals are enacted nationwide. Certain counties and states may require a detailer to contain, haul and recycle every drop of their waste water, but many only specify that the water cannot enter a storm drain or body of water. The Clean Water Act and my understanding of it is that a person washing their vehicle can dam the water to detour it from the sewer, it can be drained into surrounding ground, or it can be left to evaporate. It`s been written in plain and clear language for years, so unless your driveway is short and steep enough with a sewer grate at the bottom- you`ll probably be okay.

I`ve washed 40ft RVs on the sides of streets in residential areas, consumed less than 20 gallons of water doing so including the roof, and not a drop got to a storm drain. It won`t matter that I use 10% of the water of a traditional wash, or that I don`t use acids, avoid aerosols and use only reusable towels amongst other green attributes. If the EPA and governing bodies made me pick up every drop of water I used, I`d have one more business put on the sidelines by the pussification of America.

:cheers:

Ronkh
07-11-2009, 08:34 PM
so unless your driveway is short and steep enough with a sewer grate at the bottom- you`ll probably be okay.
:cheers:

That`s me without the sewer grate.

dave40co
07-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Ok, you struck a nerve with me. The same people promoting this stuff are making huge profits off of it. Most of the research is based on junk science or should I say extremely biased reporting of it. Algore jets around in a private jet to promote his clean Earth agenda. HUH? I recycle EVERYTHING in my own home and even go to the extreme of pulling out recyclables from the garbage in my house and lecturing the person that tossed it in there. We should all be conscious of what we do to our planet, but this is getting NUTS! I guess I will have to start washing the cars on the lawn since we can only water it on certain days of the week. BEWARE OF BIG BROTHER! He is watching you.

dave40co
07-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey Ron, can I steal your avatar? He looks just like me but I am older and uglier!

Ronkh
07-11-2009, 08:48 PM
of course, i got tons to choose from.

Tex Star Detail
07-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Even washing a car without soap or with biodegradable soap is a no-no if the water runs off into storm drains, because it still picks up oil, grease and metals from the vehicle`s brake pads. Well......someone should write Mother Nature a letter. Let her know she has to ration rain and tell her she is also helping ruin the environment. I mean come on, she makes it rain, the rain washes the dirt and oil from cars and the roads into the storm drains......... :blabla:

Poorboy
07-11-2009, 09:47 PM
ron there`s no problem for you ;) you have 5 gallons of Spray and Wipe :lol2:

G.T.Subie
07-11-2009, 10:19 PM
You gotta be kidding.
This people need some real xxxx to worry about.

Paul Sparks
07-12-2009, 04:52 AM
Maybe Big Brother may leave me alone for awhile. I put the car on the front lawn to wash and tell the wife I`m just watering the yard at the same time. Neighbors just think I`m an old miwest hillbilly anyway.

Paul

njcarting1
07-12-2009, 06:52 AM
I wash inside and the neighbors don`t know a thing. Looks like some might have a problem I think I am covered.

DEATH AND TAXES, AMD MORE POLITICAL BS. At least I have one of them covered. :wall

Troy@Protekt
07-12-2009, 07:15 AM
This reminded me of a funny story that happened to me Friday. http://www.detailcity.org/forums/tell-us-your-funny-interesting-detailing-stories/27077-had-guy-gun-point-friday.html#post290006