PDA

View Full Version : First Time Screwing up Paint

M0nk3y
07-08-2009, 03:52 PM
I was working on a 05 325xi.

The car needed to be wetsanded in several spots, and need alot of attention.

Of course, you think that would be the place where I screw up. Of course not.

Compounding went great, the 105 finished really nice with minimal marring.

I came back with SIP and a Black LCC pad to get rid of the marring. I was working on the rear bumper, on the driver side above the molding.

I was running @ 1000 RPM and working my way above the trim.

I came back over "the spot" and next thing you know there looks like there was dust coming up.

I pull the pad up to re-prim it, and I discover I just didn`t burn a spot, i torn the paint off of the bumper.....

I must of caught an edge of a pad or something like that, because I am smarter than just leaving the rotary on one spot.

The damage was done, and nothing could be fixed. It`s going to cost me alot, the car is at the body shop right getting fixed.

I would have figured that the paint would burn first before it started to bubble and come off. Could this be a possible re-paint? I talked to the owner, and he said he never re-painted it. But it`s a used car, that was sold by the Dealership, so I have no clue.

Here are the pictures, try to hold your lunch down:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g135/1nFeCt1oN/Detail%2005%20325i/DSC01752.jpg

When was your first time burning or damaging paint?

Pander5
07-08-2009, 06:40 PM
I`ve done it a few times and don`t let it get you down. Sounds like you`re doing the stand up thing by getting it fixed but I know from my own experience how it feels. Makes you almost sick to your stomach when it happens. Looks like part of the plastic bumper and others be warned - plastic is very close to losing paint adhesion. I would`ve worked SIP, black pad and that speed myself however different vehicle/conditions etc. can have different results. Was it a 4" pad?

Keep pluggin, brotha, lots of us have experienced the same thing and we learn a lot by these little mishaps. Best of luck with it and know we are with you. Don`t let it knock you down.

tmacsad
07-08-2009, 08:27 PM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g135/1nFeCt1oN/Detail%2005%20325i/DSC01752.jpg
When was your first time burning or damaging paint?

:yikes::wow::yikes::wow::passout::eek::passout:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I`ve not yet burned or damaged paint Monk3y. Man I sorry to hear and see what has happen. What is the repair going to cost?

Beemerboy
07-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Is that trim removable?

Is it plastic?

If so then it can be painted separate

Its a learning lesson trust me this will only make you better

teck
07-08-2009, 11:01 PM
It looks repainted because u can see it looks like they sanded down the clear coat and then painted it

MoparAddict
07-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Down let it get you down. Its just part of the job. Somethings you just cant control. I have personally burned before, its a awful feeling. All you can do is have it fixed and move on. The owner should be happy you are fixing it and im sure he realizes these things do happen. Some companys or people would deff try to go around it and somehow say its not their fault. Im sure the rest of the car came out great!!

Beemerboy
07-08-2009, 11:16 PM
It looks repainted because u can see it looks like they sanded down the clear coat and then painted it

It doesn`t matter at this point...the learning curve is what matters and correcting the problem to the customers satisfaction...and not letting it happen again...that`s my take, any good detailer has experienced this at some level...I have!:wall

M0nk3y
07-08-2009, 11:40 PM
:yikes::wow::yikes::wow::passout::eek::passout:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I`ve not yet burned or damaged paint Monk3y. Man I sorry to hear and see what has happen. What is the repair going to cost?

At the start, they wanted $340, in which I was about to die. Then they went $275.

They said they needed to take the bumper off to paint that, I explained them otherwise.

I got it settled down to $175

Is that trim removable?

Is it plastic?

If so then it can be painted separate

Its a learning lesson trust me this will only make you better

Trim is removable

It`s a plastic bumper.

That is how I got it down to $175

I was suspect it was repainted

Down let it get you down. Its just part of the job. Somethings you just cant control. I have personally burned before, its a awful feeling. All you can do is have it fixed and move on. The owner should be happy you are fixing it and im sure he realizes these things do happen. Some companys or people would deff try to go around it and somehow say its not their fault. Im sure the rest of the car came out great!!

Well, after this happened, my parents are questioning wether I should continue doing customer cars or not. The whole point came up of if this customer needs a rental car if this happens again, or if they accuse me of stealing something, or doing more damage to thier car like rock chips......

I gotta ask you guys this. Do you write up a contract or anything like that to avoid these problems if they ever do occur? I gotta think something up if I want to continue doing this

teck
07-09-2009, 01:12 AM
It doesn`t matter at this point...the learning curve is what matters and correcting the problem to the customers satisfaction...and not letting it happen again...that`s my take, any good detailer has experienced this at some level...I have!:wall

but it could b the fault of crappy done macco paint

tuscarora dave
07-09-2009, 04:31 AM
I gotta ask you guys this. Do you write up a contract or anything like that to avoid these problems if they ever do occur? I gotta think something up if I want to continue doing this[/QUOTE]

I always look over the car before the job is started and point out any damage to the client. I always take before photos of any damage that is there before I start the job. As far as any damage that may occur, I guess that is what liability insurance is for. I personally have had two cases where I burned paint on a car. The first was so slight that I was able to clean it up, the second however was the whole way through on a side mirror of a Honda accord that I did free for a needy family through the church. The car was in very bad shape before it was polished and it was donated to the family by the associate pastor. The family was so grateful for the work done for free that they were not concerned with the dameged spot on the mirror.

Beemerboy
07-09-2009, 09:08 AM
but it could b the fault of crappy done macco paint

I`m not talking about the quality level or lack of, of the paint job. IMO that`s immaterial at this point.

My point is that you recognize what happened and looking forward you recognize that in future details.

Lastly and most important that you have it fixed to the customers satisfaction

Anthony O.
07-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Well, after this happened, my parents are questioning wether I should continue doing customer cars or not. The whole point came up of if this customer needs a rental car if this happens again, or if they accuse me of stealing something, or doing more damage to thier car like rock chips......

I gotta ask you guys this. Do you write up a contract or anything like that to avoid these problems if they ever do occur? I gotta think something up if I want to continue doing this

Yes, it`s called "insurance". You can`t ask your clients to sign a waiver in the event you mess their car up. They are trusting their car to you, to get it back in better shape than when they brought it to you and IF something should go wrong they want piece of mind knowing that it will be corrected.

A helper once scraped a clients Mercedes bumper. We went to get it fixed and got him a rental car. This is why insurance is so important for a pro detailer....if you want to be seen as a pro by clients then you`ll want to be properly covered.....for your sake and theirs.

Anthony

tmacsad
07-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Yes, it`s called "insurance". You can`t ask your clients to sign a waiver in the event you mess their car up. They are trusting their car to you, to get it back in better shape than when they brought it to you and IF something should go wrong they want piece of mind knowing that it will be corrected.

A helper once scraped a clients Mercedes bumper. We went to get it fixed and got him a rental car. This is why insurance is so important for a pro detailer....if you want to be seen as a pro by clients then you`ll want to be properly covered.....for your sake and theirs.
Anthony
Good stuff bro... :bigups:rockon:bigups:rockon