PDA

View Full Version : Can I still do anything on this car?

Pages : [1] 2

Richard's Detailing
06-09-2009, 08:25 AM
My buddy bought this to be his daily driver and he would like me to detail it. The wheels he will repaint so all that needs to be done is the exterior paint, windows and roof. It`s a 1994 and the paint looks very oxidized. Should I still detail it? I have a PC, PB SSR3, SSR2.5, SSR2, SSR1, LC CSS yellow, orange, white and gray pads. :help:

:jawdrop:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7585/94900sturbo2.jpg

Ronkh
06-09-2009, 08:33 AM
If it`s oxidized yes, but it looks like there is paint failure there

Poorboy
06-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I`d say it would be an interesting project but doomed from the start ... the clear is failing, at least on the bumper from what i can see and it`s well beyond just oxidation ... I would say repaint is the best option, but if you have the time and he`s a good friend the worst you could so is make a few spots shiny :D

Beemerboy
06-09-2009, 08:57 AM
I`ve done some amazing work on cars like this...as Steve said the bumpers look shot from clear coat failure..I would use a paint cleaner to start...PB PP would be the choice...Then the SSR1...the surface doesn`t need to be cut just polished...what you get from all that is a good blending of what is left of the paint...nothing great but a much better look over all.

The is the top material?

if so then Ragg Topp would be the choice

Mr. Clean
06-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Yep that`s what paint oxidation looks like. ;) I can`t really tell on this monitor, but I`m assuming Ronkh is referring to the upper rear bumper when he mentioned paint failure.

Be prepared with several pads because they are going to get dirty and you will want to change them frequently. I can`t tell you from experience which of the SSRs to use, but I would lean towards the SSR1 end of the spectrum and see what kind of progress you make.

For the top, check with Troy and see what he thinks of the RaggTopp products.

I can`t tell if the rear window is glass or plastic.

EDIT: Looks like others chimed in while I was preparing my reply.

Richard's Detailing
06-09-2009, 09:54 AM
He is a good friend and I would like to help him out. I just e-mailed him to give me more details on it. If I can get it to at least shine a little bit, he`d be happy. What`s PB PP? I have a couple of PB polish but I`m not sure which one is PB PP. Should I even use PB Blackhole on this or just PB EX and Natty`s Blue?

Mr. Clean
06-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I`m all but certain he was referring to Pro Polish. A nice choice, but I didn`t see it as one of the products you had on hand. I would think that you could certainly work with what you`ve got, unless you just want to purchase another product.

EX and Natty`s Blue should provide a very nice final appearance.

JaredPointer
06-09-2009, 10:03 AM
One thing is for sure - it can`t look much worse. The least that you`ll do is improve it a little bit. Looks like a good learning experience and a good test for the products you have.

Beemerboy
06-09-2009, 10:34 AM
PB PP is his pro-polish

a good paint cleaner like Megs deep crystal paint cleaner OTC would be OK

JaredPointer
06-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Another OTC "paint cleaning polish" would be Meg`s Color X. They also have a "new" OTC polish that shows an oxidized car on the labeling. I think it might be ultimate compound or something. Might be worth a shot given OTC options.

I think I would use the SSR1 first out of what you have listed to see if it would cut the oxidation any. I would evaluate from that point forward as to what I needed to do next.

Richard's Detailing
06-09-2009, 12:39 PM
I have the PB Polish w/ Carnauba, both blue and white. Can I still use this or just start off with SSR1 followed by black hole and then natty`s blue? He said the bumpers and rear window are both plastic.

Mr. Clean
06-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I do have the PwC, but I can`t say how well it could handle that kind of oxidation. I would definitely go with one of the SSRs first. Then you can go on with either the EX or the PwC, and for good measure top with Natty`s (allowing the EX to "set").

With the oxidation of the paint, I can imagine the plastic rear window is likely in the same shape. You`ll want to polish that out.

Ronkh
06-09-2009, 06:09 PM
I have the PB Polish w/ Carnauba, both blue and white. Can I still use this or just start off with SSR1 followed by black hole and then natty`s blue? He said the bumpers and rear window are both plastic.

You really should start with a dedicated polish. THen go to the pwc-blue, let cure, black hole, then natts blue.

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww119/prbeauty1179/crowns.jpg

The king has spoken.

cheapshot
06-19-2009, 03:31 PM
PB`s PP is a good paint cleaner! i use it on everything! I mean everything all around the house garage, washer, dryer, air purifier, just to name a few.

RTexasF
06-19-2009, 05:13 PM
It`s single stage paint so go to town on it but have tons of pads. I did a blue `94 like that and it came back to life very nicely. Mask off that rubberized boot on the trunk, any polish or compound that gets on it is there forever. Black Wow will do wonders for the plastic areas along the bottom and the bumper(s).