PDA

View Full Version : Engine Kote ??s

dalmore
03-07-2004, 05:23 AM
I keep reading that Engine Kote requires a really fine sprayer and that it can be very difficult to remove after it dries. :dunno I have gallon and planned to use it today but I`m having second thoughts.

Seems like the people who are pleased with Engine Kote uses meg`s sprayer - is it really needed? All I have is a zep sprayer.

I read that it dries hard and can be really difficult to remove - can any one elaborate on this? how does one remove it?

Thanks!!

shotime
03-08-2004, 06:00 PM
I`ve used Castle NV Vinyl, pretty much the same thing. It`s marketed for vinyl convertable tops. I too had a problem with it clogging up the sprayer. I now use a disposable foam paint brush and paint it on, no overspray or pools that occur after spraying. Anything I can`t reach I use a spray shine to get to it.

Bill D
03-08-2004, 07:47 PM
I didn`t take any chances so I got a Megs high volume sprayer locally. I use EK only on wheel wells and underbody plastic panels. I spray it on those surfaces and then spread it with a sponge making sure I wipe up any drips before drying. Looks very nice and I highly recommend.

2hotford
03-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Hey,

I too love Meguiar`s Engine Kote but I also use the Meguiar`s High Volume spray head. Therefore, I can not comment on using the product when used with other sprayers.

Tim

dalmore
03-09-2004, 03:45 AM
Is this the Meguiar`s $5 or so spray bottle (M-9911 ) or is it something else? I can`t tell from their web store. So I guess I should do the old fashioned thing and call them ... so low tech.

Bill D
03-09-2004, 09:27 AM
I just bought the sprayer head and put it on a bottle, cost me about $3

57chevy
03-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Could someone elaborate on what this does for the above applications. Does it dry to a hard coat? How long does it last? Can it be sprayed over the entire engine compartment? I haven`t heard of this product before but it sounds pretty good.

Bill D
03-09-2004, 07:28 PM
It drys to a sort of hard shell, decent gloss, durable in bad weather, thats why I use on wheel wells and plastic undercarriage panels. I dont use it on the engine compartment because I read it can dry unevenly and appear blotchy and be a little tricky to remove. I use 303 instead there.

Ferrarislave
03-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Where can I get the meguiars bottle and sprayer online. ?

dalmore
03-10-2004, 05:16 AM
I called Meguiars yesterday to determine if M-9911 is the proper sprayer. I was told you can`t buy the sprayer direct - only through a dealer. I`m not satisfied with that answer and plan to try again today. I`m also awaiting a call back with the name of a local dealer.

To answer your question, FrOzen, you can find a meg`s bottle and sprayer online in the professional store at www.meguiars.com. Search for 9911. Whether that is the proper sprayer ...

ottoman
03-10-2004, 10:32 AM
I have succesfully sprayed Engine Kote using the Spraymaster that I bought at Home Depot. It`s something like $4.88, carries a 5 yr leak gurantee, and is good for the thicker (especially solvent-based) liquids that normal sprayers can`t spray without clogging.