PDA

View Full Version : Chrome

nate
03-06-2004, 09:28 PM
I`ve tried a couple diffent thing for the chrome just wondering what everybody uses. Also on Harley`s the non chromed parts of the engine any tips on getting those clean. the rough surface is hard as hell to keep looking good

JimS
03-07-2004, 09:37 AM
I like Poorboys Polish w/carnuba or Pro Polish.

tguil
03-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Usually on the chrome, I just use a good cleaner wax. It will remove anything that washing does not. S100 Cleaner is the best cleaner for non-chrome engine parts. I do not use it on the painted surfaces. Because S100 wax is so easy ro use, I apply it to the tank and fenders after almost every ride. Often I apply it to the chrome also. I remove any swirls with Meguiars #82 or Harley Gloss. The frame, etc. receives a good coat of sealant, usually Meguiars MPPP.

Most Harley dealerships have a complete line of Harley detailing products.

(I may be "new in town", but I have been detailing for over 40 years. :) )

Tom :cool

dalmore
03-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Love the sig! Your math is dead on! Which bring up a question - what is your experience with quick wash products along the lines of the CCD (California Car Duster) and Kovak`s Dry Wash Cloth (hope I remembered that name well enough to suffice). How about Spray n` Wipe and other waterless washes? I suspect you`ve tried a few of them...

TIA!

tguil
03-07-2004, 04:31 PM
I NEVER do anything less than a complete wash and I usually use a QD after each wash. I just don`t trust the California Duster or the QEW process on a dry vehicle. I don`t get just a little dust from my road, I get layers of it.

I am one very careful old guy. Until last summer, I had never used a sealant. I always used pure carnauba waxes or cleaner waxes.

nate
03-07-2004, 06:47 PM
I worked all day on the chrome and I think it came out pretty good

nate
03-07-2004, 06:48 PM
another

tguil
03-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Nate,

You have the chrome "lookin` good". What did you end up using? For new chrome like this, I usually use a cleaner wax and then top it with S100 Wax. I notice that the motor on this Harley is black. The S100 Cleaner will work well on it. S100 also has a product that will keep the motor very black.

By the way a "bagger" like you have just worked on is a heck of a lot more work to detail than my Sportster or my Super Glide. I like to keep things simple. :D

nate
03-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Never dull, the stuff work pretty good