PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a customer`s car.

Pages : [1] 2

Richard's Detailing
05-11-2009, 11:27 AM
I have a potential client that wants wash/wax/polish/sealant service on his car. He`s open to having this done once a month to his car. Now the thing is, it`s an older car (1993) and he is having the car repainted at Earl Schieb. I guess it`s going to have a single stage paint job with integrated clear coat. How much more can I do to this car after the paint job? He knows the paint job is going to last a year or 2 the most so he wants to protect the paint as much as possible. Any suggestions on how I should handle this and make the customer happy? Thanks!

Ronkh
05-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Have teh paint co put in writing how long the paint needs to cure before sealing/waxing.

Garry Dean
05-11-2009, 01:12 PM
I would recommend a good coat of sealant after about 60 days. Thats all that can really be done. I would highly recommend NEVER polishing the new paint.

Troy@Protekt
05-11-2009, 01:24 PM
I would highly recommend NEVER polishing the new paint.

Why?

atkinsonair
05-11-2009, 01:56 PM
I had my sons jeep roof and hood repainted for christmas and painter said not to wax for 60 days.Man that was hard not to do. I was not even a offical wax waster at that point.

Poorboy
05-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Why?

+1 we always polished a car after painting :notme:

JaredPointer
05-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Heck, if you saw the paint on my new truck and recommended not polishing it I`d probably have just turned and walked away. New does not always mean not hit with a brillo pad before you took possession of it.

Ronkh
05-11-2009, 02:42 PM
I had my sons jeep roof and hood repainted for christmas and painter said not to wax for 60 days.Man that was hard not to do. I was not even a offical wax waster at that point.

It`s tough to leave it unprotected for that long.

flash gordon
05-11-2009, 03:24 PM
I would recommend a good coat of sealant after about 60 days. Thats all that can really be done. I would highly recommend NEVER polishing the new paint.

I`m with ya on this one.:bigups

Why?

I have 2 words for your answer....Earl schiebs...:rofl:rofl

+1 we always polished a car after painting :notme:

I wouldn`t hit that thing with a machine for fear the paint would simply spin off....EARL Shiebs is a ridicilous out fit that has been around since Henry Ford was alive...:yikes:They are known for there $99 Paint jobs were they paint your trim,bumpers,tires,glass And anything else that is in there way....:yikes:They don`t sand and shoot the car with a primer coat...they just spray over the old paint...A real joke of a company...surprised none of you old farts had heard of them.:notme:

Poorboy
05-11-2009, 03:39 PM
I`m with ya on this one.:bigups

I have 2 words for your answer....Earl schiebs...:rofl:rofl

I wouldn`t hit that thing with a machine for fear the paint would simply spin off....EARL Shiebs is a ridicilous out fit that has been around since Henry Ford was alive...:yikes:They are known for there $99 Paint jobs were they paint your trim,bumpers,tires,glass And anything else that is un there way....:yikes:They don`t sand and shoot the car with a primer coat...they just spray over the old paint...A real joke of a company...surprised none of you old farts had heard of them.:notme:

they ain`t $99 anymore ... they are up to $299 or more :lol2:

Ronkh
05-11-2009, 03:55 PM
they ain`t $99 anymore ... they are up to $299 or more :lol2:

Maaco is trying to up their image too.

flash gordon
05-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Maaco is trying to up their image too.

I have a client, we had his Hunting Truck Painted @ Maaco for about $600. This was 3 years ago this Summer and it is actually holdin up o.k. ...lots of oarnge peal though...I personally would be afraid to use a Rotary on it....They just don`t do hardly any prep work on the body before shootin.

Poorboy
05-11-2009, 05:12 PM
I have a client, we had his Hunting Truck Painted @ Maaco for about $600. This was 3 years ago this Summer and it is actually holdin up o.k. ...lots of oarnge peal though...I personally would be afraid to use a Rotary on it....They just don`t do hardly any prep work on the body before shootin.

I wouldn`t use cutting pads but i would polish it ...

when i had a shop in California , many people didn`t want to pay for our paint work, so we would prep the cars and send them to a place called One day Body & Paint ... they were an upscale Earl .. $199 at that time

atkinsonair
05-11-2009, 05:27 PM
We used to have a earl around here,they closed up years ago. So for as long as i can remember i have been told not to wax fresh paint for 60 days. I know that you can buff out to remove imperfection on fresh paint, i was always under the impression it was to let the paint cure.

Garry Dean
05-11-2009, 05:43 PM
I have personally never tried to polish an econo paint job as I was instructed by the manager of a Maaco outfit in VA Beach, VA that it will damage the integrated clear and leave the paint looking dull and patchy. Cheap paint for cheap money. He told me that it was what it was and that when it goes on the vehicle it should remain untouched even with wax.

Again, thats what I was told by the manager of a Maaco. Dunno, but thats what I heard, lol.