PDA

View Full Version : need some help doing detail

BOWANNA03
05-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I am doing a mercedes slx 260 convertible for a customer and on the parts of the doors and fenders they had it sprayed with a wrinkle finish black paint and it showing some where how can I amke this look the best without going in over my head should I tape it off and paint it black to match. I tried to clean it and it just not look good.

9D4E420
05-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Never heard of an slx before do you mean the SL convertible? Do you have any pics?

Beemerboy
05-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Pics would be key on this one...I don`t understand the wrinkle free paint?

BOWANNA03
05-04-2009, 01:41 PM
I will get some pics later. The actual color of the car is brilliant silver but it seems on the lower parts of the body they have a black trim line and then below that it is painted like 3 inches high with black paint almost like a wrinkle finish. the car has been repainted once already. When I tried to clean it nothing would come off of the black and it makes the car look terrible. I will send some pics later

BOWANNA03
05-04-2009, 01:45 PM
I am sorry it was a typo it should be SLK 260

9D4E420
05-04-2009, 01:53 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about. It`s actually a wrinkle finish sorta like a rubberized undercoating. Unfortunately there is not much you can do for these. It`s kinda like a flat black on there if it`s factory. My suggestion would be PB Trim Restorer or something along those lines . If you use any type of polish it will just stain. Posting those pics would be good just to make sure we are on the same page.

Beemerboy
05-04-2009, 04:16 PM
If you talking about the rock chip material that is at the bottom part of the car...its got a rubber like feel to it...what I have done with that is clean with some APC and a brush to get real clean...then you can use a paint cleaner to further remove surface like oxidation...then I apply something like Stoners Trim Shine or Natural look by Poorboys...then buff that with a cotton towel...it doesn`t last a long time but makes the car look a lot better when you turn that back in

BOWANNA03
05-05-2009, 06:19 AM
For some reason I can not get my pics to load says they are to big. I did put some trim restorer down and that worked fine thanks for the help I do appreciate it. How do you guys get your pics to load correctly what is the best way to resize them.

flash gordon
05-05-2009, 06:47 AM
:cool:I have a more important question...Why is your post count stuck on 32?

Ronkh
05-05-2009, 09:49 AM
For some reason I can not get my pics to load says they are to big. I did put some trim restorer down and that worked fine thanks for the help I do appreciate it. How do you guys get your pics to load correctly what is the best way to resize them.

I use photobucket