PDA

View Full Version : Question

atkinsonair
05-03-2009, 05:47 AM
I`m fairly new to the higher end detail supplies and I must say i thought before them i did a good job with otc, which most of you know you can. But now I have used them i wont ever look to the counter again for certain things. My question and what I have been pondering is what products can you cut corners with and which ones you should not. Example cheap tire dressing for fender wells is just a thought. Any thoughts would be a help thanks.

tuscarora dave
05-03-2009, 07:24 AM
Hi Shawn, The only product I see myself buying over the counter again would be Meg`s PlastX as I see it more effective than regular polishes on headlights and bug shields. As for wheel wells, I find it cheaper to cut bold and bright 50/50 with water for wells and there are no erasol cans to haul off to the trash. at the price of a gallon of bold and bright devided by 2 it is much cheaper than buying 2 gallons worth of "cheap" tire dressing...Just my thoughts, TD

Big Leegr
05-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Rather than "cut corners" you might look for more versatile products - ie. ones that can do more than 1 task. PB`s ProPolish for example can do paint, plastic, metal etc. A good APC can be used for carpets, vinyls, tires, gunk on glass etc.

PerroneFord
05-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Excellent post Big Leegr and goes right to the heart of things. The main advantage of the professional products is the longevity and potential versatility of them. They can give excellent results in a variety of circumstances. But a number of OTC products are also just fine.

Things I will continue to buy OTC:

1. Alcohol for wipedowns
2. Washmitts
3. Q-Tips
4. Wooden skewers
5. Buckets
6. Vacuums (probably)
7. Small brushes
8. Gloves (MechanicWear and nitrile)
9. Woolite
10. Stoners IG and Tarminator

There are some pro products that are terrific for their versatility and it makes sense to order them. Or they`re effectiveness makes the order worth it. But I see nothing wrong in choosing the right time and place to order things, and to pick other things up from the counter.

atkinsonair
05-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks for all the good points.

flash gordon
05-03-2009, 12:17 PM
I will occasionally pick up a 5 gallon container of "Purple Power." Other than that I am Very fortunate to have a local Manufacture/Chemist/ Supply House.There prices are lower than O.T.C. anyway.:rockon

Reddwarf
05-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Great question. You mentioned one that I think a lot of folks do and that is to use the less expensive tire dressing on the wheel wells. I used to but a pack of 3 or 4 spray cans at Sams that was great for that use.

Another way to conserve your money is to dilute some products. For example PB Bug Squash works great for me when diluted 3:1 and PB APC is made packaged to be diluted. Like Big leer says you can get a good APC (again, I like the PB one) and use it diluted for carpets and all sorts of areas without buying specialty products.