PDA

View Full Version : The KBM Method (pulled from another thread)

prsdntial_dtail
04-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Added Note from administrator (Troy): Hope you don`t mind Billy but I felt this discussion needed it`s own thread so the other thread could stay on topic. ;)

Copied from this thread - http://www.detailcity.org/forums/detailing-product-discussion-misc/26450-water-spot-etching.html#post282112

M105/Cutting pad/KBPCM, DONE. ;)

And just so you understand what the KBPCM is:

1. Prime an orange pad(or any other cutting pad) with M105.

2. Press the pad onto a MF or clean cotton towel and turn on your PC/Flex for about 10 seconds.

3. Apply a pea sized dot of M105 to the pad.

4. PC on 6 or flex on 5- Apply alot of pressure and go slow working a 18"x18" area.

5. Wipe and inspect.

Mr. Clean
04-26-2009, 10:45 AM
for the longest time I have kept asking myself "who is kevin brown and what is his method?"

:)
I know, Kevin Brown: Man or Myth :D

M105/Cutting pad/KBPCM, DONE. ;)

And just so you understand what the KBPCM is:

1. Prime an orange pad(or any other cutting pad) with M105.

2. Press the pad onto a MF or clean cotton towel and turn on your PC/Flex for about 10 seconds.

3. Apply a pea sized dot of M105 to the pad.

4. PC on 6 or flex on 5- Apply alot of pressure and go slow working a 18"x18" area.

5. Wipe and inspect.
Did you find a KB originated post of his process? As I`ve mentioned I`ve seen posts with "Kevin Brown`s Method as I understand it".

blk45
04-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I know, Kevin Brown: Man or Myth :D

Did you find a KB originated post of his process? As I`ve mentioned I`ve seen posts with "Kevin Brown`s Method as I understand it".

The process that Billy listed, is correct. Kevin sent the process to a few people to try and it was posted on the boards. Everyone ask Kevin to post the process, and Kevin wanted to explain every little detail of it, so he asked that the "method" be pulled from the board until he could post his paper on it. It has turned in to a huge project with lots of diagrams etc., so it has taken a lot longer than expected. Billy, and some other guys, have spoken to Kevin directly and that is the process, very simplified. Also of note, there is a KBPCM (PC) and a KBRM (rotary). Most of the time when people refer to the KB method, they are referring to the KBPCM used with a PC, Flex, etc. The crucial factors are the use of a non-diminishing abrasive polish, the correct priming (not saturating) of the pad and a LOT of pressure.

Mr. Clean
04-26-2009, 10:09 PM
... Also of note, there is a KBPCM (PC) and a ....

Clearly this is the process that is prompting conversation. My interest is centered more in the results from the 105 and a PC and how it really expands the "range" of the PC`s capabilities. "A lot of pressure"? With a PC? Really? What is "a lot"? I know I can "stop" my PC by getting carried away with "leaning into" the machine.

As for swirl removal with the rotary, is there really anything "earth shattering" there? In fact, I thought I read one of his posts or a post quoting him saying that this new product has for all intents and purposes "retired" his rotary.

Now using a finishing polish (like 205) with a polishing pad on the rotary while removing defects and ending up with a LSP ready finish. Now that would be something to talk about. 1-step, paint friendly. :)

JaredPointer
04-27-2009, 06:37 AM
I have seen the talk off and on at other detailing boards about the KB method. While I don`t really think there`s a whole lot of rocket science that goes into polishing paint, I would like to know what it is that differentiates this method from any other type of PC polishing I have tried. Obviously, there`s a boatload of little nuances that go into the method for it not to have been posted for this long...

prsdntial_dtail
04-27-2009, 11:06 AM
I think a lot of it has to do more with how M105 was designed to work with its non-diminishing abrasives. Once the pad is primed, your essentially turning it into a sanding disc in a sense. Then with light pressure M105 miraculously finishes off VERY well, even almost LSP ready on some harder clears only requiring a very light polishes to touch up the slight holograms for a perfect finish. :)