PDA

View Full Version : Need an Over the Counter Leather Care Product

Pages : [1] 2

shuddleston
04-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Anyone have some suggestions for me I need a good over the counter leather care product for a job tomorrow. I don`t know the color or condition of the leather but it is in a fairly new Sequoia SUV. So I am hoping they are in fairly good condition and just need a quick conditioning.

RTexasF
04-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Lexol

shuddleston
04-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Awesome - Thanks!

Jeremy
04-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Lexol

x2

Beemerboy
04-23-2009, 11:13 AM
lexol, is good but the application is key...once the leather is clean...then apply the protection with a good MF applicator then use a cotton towel to buff.

flash gordon
04-23-2009, 11:57 AM
:
x2

:cool:+3:dcrules or Hyde Food

Mr. Clean
04-23-2009, 12:43 PM
I`ve had good success with the 2-step Lexol products also.

You mention a quick conditioning, I trust that you would be doing a thorough cleaning first, including vac and cleanse. This step is IMO the key to maintaining treated leather automotive surfaces.

There is quite a bit of debate to be found as to the necessity and effectiveness of using leather conditioners on treated leather. But to my knowledge, there is no debate of the benefits of regular cleaning. I say none...there is always the debate as to which product to use. :D

shuddleston
04-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the info. Yes I am doing a full detail inside and out minus the engine - still scared to tackle the engine compartment. I don`t want to utilize my liability insurance just yet - lol

blk45
04-23-2009, 10:19 PM
The DG leather products are very good and can be picked up at Carquest.

Mr. Clean
04-24-2009, 11:38 AM
The DG products didn`t even cross my mind. :wall Which of the DG leather products have you used? I`m wondering specifically about the leather shampoo. I notice that it contains mink oil, but I`m not sure how much. It has always been my understanding that mink oil really isn`t a good thing for treated leather and is best left for your shoes.

Another OTC product is AM, but I have never used it before, so I can`t offer a recommendation just a mention has a possibility. I don`t know if they have a leather specific cleaner or not, but IIRC there is a conditioner in the catalog.

blk45
04-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Duragloss Leather Shampoo #441 - 8oz (http://www.detailcity.com/duragloss-leather-shampoo-8oz.html)

Is a blend of selected surfactants, mink oil, and lanolin to gently clean leather surfaces. Removes soil without removing the natural oils in the leather. Will not cause leather to crack or dry out.

Duragloss Leather Conditioner #221 - 8oz (http://www.detailcity.com/duragloss-leather-conditioner-8oz.html)

Contains a blend of mink oil and lanolin that penetrates and softens leather. Gives a natural, non-greasy treatment to both new and older leather. A special fragrance enhances the aroma of leather.

I can`t answer the mink oil question for you. However, I know a lot of people have used them with great results. I`m not looking to start up this debate, but there has been a lot of talk that these and Z-9 & Z-10 are the same, and The Z products have a great following as well. They are the best OTC products for leather that I have used. I use LM products, but they aren`t OTC.

cheapshot
06-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Has anyone tried Poorboys leather stuff? wondering how it compares to lexol

Beemerboy
06-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Has anyone tried Poorboys leather stuff? wondering how it compares to lexol

CS

There is no comparison IMO...PB LS hands down is a better product...not greasy, leaves a nice matted finish and has a very pleasant leather smell...I`ve used both..but as an OTC leather care product Lexol is very good

Mr. Clean
06-03-2009, 04:44 PM
I haven`t tried PB`s leather product, but have used the Lexol products (amongst others) for some years.

The obvious difference is the PB product is a one-step, while the Lexol is a two-step. My impression/opinion is that a one-step product might be adequate for on going (and regular) maintenance, it is a pretty good idea to at least several times per year give a thorough cleaning and conditioning (I know that step is oft debated as to the need in the case of treated leather - but I do it anyway) using dedicated cleaning and conditioning products.

JohnHenry
06-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Hands down, all-time fav... PB Leather Stuff. I use it full strength for treatment and conditioning, applied by hand. But first I cut it about 4:1, water:PBLS and spray it as a cleaner, wiped up quickly with a clean cloth.

I`ll probably get banned from the board, ejected from the International Brotherhood of Amalgamated Detailers, excommunicated for heresy, and forever dissed by you guys, but I use a cotton towel for leather.

Hello, my name is John Henry and I use COTTON! :eek: